Up the MacGregors! / 7 donne per i MacGregor (Franco Giraldi, 1967)

I liked the movie. It’s pretty similar to “Sette pistole per i MacGregor” not only concerning plot. It’s also slightly comedic and quite brutal in parts. Most importantly it’s also entertaining.

Database page: Sette donne per i MacGregor - The Spaghetti Western Database

Yes quite agree… Light comedy in places but very very brutal indeed, not for the kiddies… I like “Sette pistole…” better though. This one had a confusing story line…

This one definitely has its enjoyable moments; but, overall it leans too much towards comedy for me.
It is nowhere near as good a film as 7 GUNS FOR THE MACGREGORS…or even SUGAR COLT for that matter.

Just viewed this one, and is an entertaining film with light comic touches which seemed to work for the film.

The Italian disc is very good quality 2.35 widescreen and is well worth its money as the quality is excellent, aswell as having extras on the disc.

Plenty of action in the film all set to a Morricone score, which has a track in from A Fistful of Dollars.

not a fan of these light hearted SW’s but this one was more palatable for me than most of it’s ilk. not as juvenile as the "Trinity " films and the nice looking women helped. saw it on DVD-R and it was a good quality picture ( thanks again, rev). some good action and yes it was fairly brutal at times. 5/10

Still on the shelf, wanted to watch it several times, but other movies dashed past it

Finally watched and reviewed it:

[size=12pt]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/7_Women_for_the_MacGregors[/size]

For the occasion, the review of the first MacGregor movie has been revised:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Seven_Guns_for_the_MacGregors_Review

I watched this a few days ago. I’m not going to go against the general consensus that it’s a bit silly, but reasonably watchable. I didn’t see too much difference in quality between this and Seven Guns…

One scene that I did like was the ageing Frank James living in his hut. I thought that was a nice touch: quite sad but also quite funny.

So for anyone that lives in or close to Germany should note the 22nd of April.
We show the very rare German Version via 35mm (probably the only still existing copy) in Cologne Filmclub 813.
As second movie “Buccaroo” wih Dean Reed will be shown and there is a small tombola in the break betweeen the movies.
Here`s the link to the Club: http://filmclub-813.de/

We would appreciate your support :slight_smile:

Off the back of re-watching the first MacGregors film it only seemed right to follow up with this one too.

1 Like

Watched this last night as part of ‘Spagvember Fest 2021’ and noticed this anomaly …

The actor Hugo Blanco, who replaced Manuel Zarzo, in the part of ‘David MacGregor’, also appears in a separate role as a bank robber … I thought that perhaps there was going to be some plot device used here, but no … was this an effort to save money … who knows?

Blanco as 'David MacGregor

… and again as a bank robber who’s strongly featured in this scene of the movie … strange.

I suppose the director thought no one would notice … Wrong! LOL :wink:

PS: Hugo Blanco’s profile on IMDB has the wrong photo … there’s actually a picture of Italian actor/stuntman, Paolo Magalotti, who is a well known face in many SWs , and plays ‘Kenneth MacGregor’ in both films.

1 Like

Aldo that’s Jeff Cameron who’s credited under his real last name (Nino Scarciofolo) but good catch regarding the pic on IMDB :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for clearing that up, Carlos … to me they look identical in this film (except the moustache!)

1 Like

They do look a lot alike, don’t they.

1 Like

Glad I’m not alone, or going completely mad :wink:

This film’s page in the database was updated to the new layout. Please notify us of any errors, and especially: please do submit, pictures, reviews, facts, trivia, info, links and more

Anyone got the recently released blu ray? Wondering if the image is as soft as the first films

SPOILERS
watched this this evening despite having never planned to view it previously but having watched the first entry recently it is a good time to do it. Overall enjoyable again, I enjoyed the “comedy” parts more in this one. Maldonado good performance by the actor and surely voiced by the guy who voiced Volonte in the Dollars movie. Some “mocking the Irish” stereotypes in this one with the Donovans -light hearted and fun.
Frank James section was enjoyable- was that actor in another movie or just the voice actor?
Similar enough plot otherwise with again a lot of characters and the plot slowed down. Rosita wrecked things for the MacGregors in terms of their escape! But then the business with the escape, I’m not clear why they went and hid in the rail carriage and the bandits just ran around the carriage. Then it seems incredible at the end the train comes with everyone on it. Great action with Maldonado and Gregor fighting on the steam engine and also the brawl earlier in the hardware store was excellent.
So it’s solid stuff, good fun with violence for everyone to enjoy. 2,5 stars. I wonder what all those Italian actresses playing Irish colleens went onto? All the best

1 Like