Underappreciated / underrated Spaghetti Westerns

Is it really that bad then Reverend ???.

Any spaghetti that has dinosaurs can’t be all bad

I am still looking forward to seeing the dinosaur effects by Ray Harryhausen.

I don’t think it’s bad at all Ennioo. Some of Harryhausen’s best animation work along with great Spanish locations…plus dinosaurs! It’s a classic :slight_smile:

[quote=“korano, post:1, topic:1497”]2. Apocalypse Joe (1971)
Thats right, I like it. I believe that it is often critisized for being slim on plot and long on action. True! But this is an action Spaghetti. Whenever I watch it, I don’t watch it to be entranced by the plot. I watch it for a good fix on action after watching Shoot the Living, Pray for the Dead.It has great gunfights.The tworeasons to watch this film are gunfights and Steffen. Just sit back and enjoythe show.

1. Man: Pride and Vengeance (1967)
    I like Nero. I like Kinski. I like slow paced when it is called for, and Ilike the idea of setting a Spaghetti Western in Spain.

2. Bullet for Sandoval
    Its jus good, OK. But deserves more attention

3. Shoot, Gringo… Shoot (1968)
    Well liked but not enough.[/quote]

agreed on these. some of the others i would need to rewatch or haven’t watched yet.

Duck You Sucker is great, although I think it gets a good amount of respect already.

Shoot Gringo Shoot is awesome. I love that one

No it’s not Ennioo. This was a bit of a throw away line that referenced you saying somewhere that this was on the ‘to watch’ list, and NOTS was below it presumably.
VotG most certainly should be on yer pile! It’s an oddity for sure - although I’m not sure I enjoyed this “classic” as much as Phil did.
But it ain’t no ‘spaghetti western’ either though, despite the locations - well not in feel anyway - it’s very ‘American’ in that respect … whereas Night of the Serpent is sublimely ‘spaghetti’ in feel, and as we know, one of my faves.
Enjoy them dinosaurs mate, and save the serpents for later! ;D

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:26, topic:1497”]No it’s not Ennioo. This was a bit of a throw away line that referenced you saying somewhere that this was on the ‘to watch’ list, and NOTS was below it presumably.
VotG most certainly should be on yer pile! It’s an oddity for sure - although I’m not sure I enjoyed this “classic” as much as Phil did.
But it ain’t no ‘spaghetti western’ either though, despite the locations - well not in feel anyway - it’s very ‘American’ in that respect … whereas Night of the Serpent is sublimely ‘spaghetti’ in feel, and as we know, one of my faves.
Enjoy them dinosaurs mate, and save the serpents for later! ;D[/quote]

Thanks Reverend :). I can be a bit slow sometimes…my age and all that jazz.

I’m pretty sure this hasn’t been mentioned, but… I really enjoyed (for the right reasons) God’s Gun. It’s so good, I think it deserves to be on the “Alternate Top 20”.

John, that’s really shocking, you must be crazy :wink:

Maybe you’re personal top 20. To me it seemed lifeless and dull.

" Stranger in Pasa Bravo" proberly because it is overshadowed by " And God Said To Cain" which i haven’t seen yet.

I like Paso Bravo too. In fact, I think Steffen SWs are underrated in general. He’s been in 27 of them and not one single one of them is considered a “classic”, except Django the Bastard, which probably isn’t even his best film, only the most known.

I actually found it to spirited and enjoyed it a lot. Maybe it’s bad reputation lower my expectations to the ground so I liked it more than I should have as I found it to be fun.

Only that you see, that you still can believe in me:

Paso Bravo is one of Steffen’s weaker films. For both, the uninspired film itself and Steffen’s non performance.
I think meanwhile Steffen is ok in most of his Spagies, even good in some.

This is one of the few occasions I find myself agreeing with Stanton. Paso bravo, I thought, was a style-less, atmosphere-less, dull film. Completely lifeless.

I don’t think Django the bastard is considered a classic, is it? To my knowledge, there’s a select bunch of films that are agrred as classics:

Dollars trilogy
Ringo Films
Django
Big Gundown
Day of Anger
Death Rides a Horse
Face to Face
OUATITW
Sartana
Sabata
Trinity films
My Name is Nobody

ofcourse there are other classics but it seems most people agree on these, except Stanton ofcourse! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Ah well, movies like The Great Silence, Il mercenario and Companeros I think you can safely add to the classics list :slight_smile:

That’s how I felt about Django the Bastard

[quote=“chuck connors brother, post:37, topic:1497”]That’s how I felt about Django the Bastard[/quote]yes i must admit i’m not a fan of Django the Bastard.

[quote=“korano, post:35, topic:1497”]Dollars trilogy
Ringo Films
Django
Big Gundown
Day of Anger
Death Rides a Horse
Face to Face
OUATITW
Sartana
Sabata
Trinity films
My Name is Nobody[/quote]
This reads like out Top 20, only without The Great Silence (which, apart from two or three detractors, is definatly considered a classic).

[quote=“korano, post:35, topic:1497”]T

I don’t think Django the bastard is considered a classic, is it? To my knowledge, there’s a select bunch of films that are agrred as classics:

Dollars trilogy
Ringo Films
Django
Big Gundown
Day of Anger
Death Rides a Horse
Face to Face
OUATITW
Sartana
Sabata
Trinity films
My Name is Nobody[/quote]

Yeah I should’ve put a “maybe” or “perhaps” in front of Django the bastard in my post. Its the closest thing Steffen’s got to being a classic althought its not quite.