Two Faces of the Dollar / Le due facce del dollaro (Roberto Bianchi Montero, 1967)

Canā€™t remember much about it but it had a gritty feel that certainly appealed to me.

I really liked the first half hour but then it kinda went off into a series of over-used ripoff scenes and messy Sartana-like switcharoos. Still a pretty good spaghetti overall, and perhaps the fact that I watched it in several sittings is what made the second half not as good.

Looks like Iā€™m sitting with the majority here at a 3/5 stars

Always enjoy a good monk shoot out scene: - YouTube

Watched this via a recent fandub upgrade. I concur with some of what has been said above. Nothing special, but an enjoyable one nevertheless. The idea to rob the Fort of itā€™s load of gold was interesting and well done, but it takes itā€™s time to get there. Gerard Herter IMO is the standout in this and i really like the music score. Gold + Greed = No happy ending.

I wonder what the source is for my copy. Itā€™s obviously recorded from a VHS but it is in widescreen. It has English audio (whatā€™s the source for the English audio?) and goes into German for a brief moment. Enjoyable spaghetti western with some nice music. Would love to see this one in better quality.

The source is a German vhs as I remember on that version.

Do you know where the English audio came from?

No idea on that one.

This deserves a better release! A very good spaghetti western worthy of being in an alternative top 20. I have a fandub of the French disc, which is nice quality and a major improvement over the previous version I watched, although the ending on the French version has been cut short.

1 Like

Yes 6/10 seems reasonable for this entertaining SW with the Morricone-inspired music and GĆ©rard Herter as strong elements. The mood is slightly more serious than in another robbery SW with a few similar story elements Any Gun Can Play (6/10) also with Herter. I had some trouble first recognizing actress Gabriella Giorgelli due to an obvious weight gain since Long Days Of Vengeance (6/10) earlier the same year 1967. Otherwise there were not so many familiar faces for me.
Two Faces Of The Dollar reaches my SW Top 60 by a not so big margin

I couldnā€™t make it all the way through this one. I liked the idea but didnā€™t like any of the characters. It was a while ago though so I canā€™t remember why. Might be worth trying again because it does seem to be well liked.

The characters were of no interest to me in this. The concept / story made up for that though.

2 Likes

After having watched Two Faces of the Dollar for the third time within a few weeks the first hour gives me a SW-adapted Mission Impossible-reminding feeling. The Mission Impossible TV-series had started over a year before this 1967 SW was released, and as a kid I liked this series when it was televised in Sweden.

I guess in spite of this that this SW possibly could be one of the more deviating from more classic American WESTERNS and from other SWs from 1967 or before due to the plot and mood the first hour, even if the general SW usually deviates at lot from the American classics.

It is very entertaining anyhow.

My DVD-R has decent image quality with just a couple of short passages with English dialogue missing (but some French or German). There is a slight lightheartness in some places but not really irritating. The title music by Giosy Capuano and Mario Capuano is very good, and only a short passage of the other music is less appropriate and there are nice Morricone-like trumpets elswhere.
I have slightly upgraded its SW Top 60 position to 47, but still with a 6/10 rating. Maybe I would rate it higher with a nice DVD/Bluray release ?

No, I ultimately increase my rating to 7/10 anyway. I always look specially forward to watch Two Faces of The Dollar so obviously 6/10 is an ungenerous verdict. The Colonel Blackgrave character played by GĆ©rard Herter for example is involved in several amusing scenes when he is a military imposter.
As said before it would be nice with an official DVD/Bluray release.

45 Long Days Of Vengeance (Florestano Vancini ) music Armando Trovajoli/Ennio Morricone 1967
46Two Faces Of The Dollar (Roberto Bianchi Montero) music Giosy Capuano, Mario Capuano 1967
47 Vengeance Is Mine/$100,000 for a Killing (Giovanni Fago) 1967 music Nora Orlandi

2 Sides of the Dollar has been updated to the new layout (3.0). Let us know if you can add anything: pictures, posters, trivia, facts, figures, links, etcā€¦

1 Like

Credits page has been created for Le Due facce del dollaro (Two Faces of the Dollar)

2 Likes

Low budget GBU with two strong characters played by Herter and Poli and with top notch direction. Only the ending is somewhat a letdown. Monteroā€™s Thunder Over El Paso is even better.