Twenty Paces to Death / Veinte pasos para la muerte / Saranda (Manuel Esteba, Antonio Mollica, 1970)

(ENNIOO) #1

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Saranda

A young half breed (Dean Reed) is rescued from death by a man who takes him in and raises him as his son. When older Reed falls in love with the daughter of the man who rescued him (Alberto Farnese) and eventually has to move out of the family home. Farnese is madly in love with a woman in town who is plotting to ruin him with a man Farnese had wounded many years ago.

Low budget stuff for sure this one but film is only short and has that low key feel to it alot of the time. Like it when Reed calls someone out and says take twenty paces and fire !, hence the title of the film I know this one more by Twenty Paces To Death. Viewed a 1.78 Spanish T.V print which someone audiodubbed into english, and is the best print of the film I have seen so far.

(Phil H) #2

Suspect I watched the same fandub you did Ennioo.
Pretty cheap looking production (as you’d expect from an Iquino film) but also edited very sloppily which doesn’t help it climb above its humble base. I don’t mind Farnese, nor Reed for that matter, so I was kept engaged enough and the short running time helped too. Reed plays a half breed which seems to have inspired the make up department to run wild with the fake tan. :o Looks pretty silly but strangely familiar to some of the spray on stuff I see around me in the streets these days. Though that tends to be more of a ‘Romford Orange’. Brits among us will know what I mean.

I did admire Reed’s running style horse mounting technique though. Very cool and did look like he did it himself. 8)

Overall though a pretty poor affair with the odd highlight.

(scherpschutter) #3

Coincidentally, I also watched a movie with Dean Reed yesterday, Adios Sabata

Never liked him, maybe because of that hair that doesn’t seem to fit in a western, but I noticed that he was a better actor than I thought he was. He’s actually quite good in that movie (better than Brynner)

Hard to imagine him as a halfbreed though.
(And I’m clearly not British, because I have no idea what you’re talking about)

(scherpschutter) #4

[/URL] [URL=http://img40.imageshack.us/i/jacksonod.jpg/]http://img257.imageshack.us/i/saranda.jpg/

What happened to you, Michael?
What happened to you, Dean?

(Phil H) #5

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:3, topic:2140”]…Hard to imagine him as a halfbreed though.
(And I’m clearly not British, because I have no idea what you’re talking about)[/quote]

Fake tanning has reached genuinely laughable proportions around here Scherp with the young and gullible using skin products in an effort to make themselves look more tanned but instead wind up looking more like an umpah lumpah. Or, if you prefer, a fanatical Holland football supporter. Such a look has now become synonymous with Romford, a town close to where I live.
This little article will explain. And the picture links give you an idea of what I mean.

http://paleskinbeauty.com/self-tanning-safe-sun/tips-to-avoid-bad-fake-tan/

(El Topo) #6

[quote=“Phil H, post:5, topic:2140”]Fake tanning has reached genuinely laughable proportions around here Scherp with the young and gullible using skin products in an effort to make themselves look more tanned but instead wind up looking more like an umpah lumpah. Or, if you prefer, a fanatical Holland football supporter. Such a look has now become synonymous with Romford, a town close to where I live.
This little article will explain. And the picture links give you an idea of what I mean.

http://paleskinbeauty.com/self-tanning-safe-sun/tips-to-avoid-bad-fake-tan/[/quote]

I will never understand this need for tanning and this speaking from a country where everyone efforts a lot for that propose. Anyway in most cases its only for show off reasons, to appear with a great tan in winter, is like saying to the other poor bastards, see I’ve spend some holidays in Brasil or Cuba etc. even if I don’t have money for dinner now, but the last part they won’t tell you.
Anything that’s looks artificial would go bad on a person.

(ENNIOO) #7

The fake tanners in the U.K do make me laugh, and men are not excluded from this fast rising muppet syndrome.

(scherpschutter) #8

Caramba, Saranda!

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Twenty_Paces_to_Death_Review

(Toscano) #9

I couldn’t agree more, Phil! :joy:

(Toscano) #10

:joy:

(scherpschutter) #11

Just to show you how bad it is in this movie …

(Bad Lieutenant) #12

Don’t mean to be overtly critical, and don’t know if you made them yourself, but the pictures you use are aesthetically not too pleasing. Photofunia is not much of an image editing tool. It has some simplified presets, which (unfortunately) show in the end result. Anyone, with a basic understanding of Photoshop (or Gimp) will get you better looking images.

(scherpschutter) #13

No offence taken. This is what I created with another program (Be Funky). The pic only shows part of the original design, btw. I Could have used that too (and still can), but I like these type of filters of Photofunia. Maybe others don’t. Let’s see what others have to say. I got some good comments elsewhere, so maybe it’s a matter of taste

(Asa) #14

I thought it looked alright scherp, although I’m a bit of a photo-enhancement philistine. I still use ms paint! :smile:

Bad_Lieutenant, give us an example of how it could be improved, give old scherp a pointer or two.

(Bad Lieutenant) #15

I’ll do something today, but of course he’s right, such things can be subjective.

(Bad Lieutenant) #16

Here’s an edit I did. For the image basis, I used a lobby card, of which I had to change the perspective a bit. I took a font more in line with the western genre. I also cut out the original Saranda logo and made it the exact same color as the English title. This is a, relatively, quick edit. I don’t think Read’s background looks slick enough, perhaps a different color palette would work better.

Measurements Twitter post style 1024px x 512px

Design is the silent ambassador of your brand. — Paul Rand
In a way Scherp’s reviews are a brand, and they do deserve something eye-catching on top.

Fonts can be terrible things, haha

(scherpschutter) #17

I tried something more in this style for the Arizona Colt review (https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Arizona_Colt_Review_(Scherpschutter):

(Bad Lieutenant) #18

Yes, better imo. In general, I’d just keep things simple. For instance, if you review a widescreen film, why not just use a single (cool) screenshot. Because no matter how you look at it, both you and I are cropping lobby cards and-or other existing artwork, adding our own text, which shows.

In the case of Arizona Colt, this would do just fine, I think:

“If a thing can be done adequately by means of one, it is superfluous to do it by means of several; for we observe that nature does not employ two instruments if one suffices.”

I find that my better album covers -my own designs/edits- , are also the ones that are simpler in design:

(although to some, less is bore)

(scherpschutter) #19

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn’t

Why is this cover so famous? i guess it’s the simplicity

At the same time, I don’t care for this one:

(Bill san Antonio) #20

In my opinion the b/w Arizona Colt pic is something like like an small ad out of a 70’s newspaper. Just a generic western pic which doesn’t stand out in any way and not really tempting. Scherp’s pic is just good for the purpose, striking colors to get your attention and pic of Gemma which will tell you with just a glance who is the star.