Trying to ID singer of I Lunghi Giorni Dell'odio

Anyone know the singer of this title song? Sounds almost like Don Powell, but not quite.

2 Likes

Great theme song ā€¦ almost 007 ish very nice - what a shame the singer went uncredited - really good voice.

1 Like

Yeah itā€™s too bad! I found the CD back cover and itā€™s not listed there either. I wonder if thereā€™s someone out there who knowsā€¦ maybe in Italy?

This shouldnā€™t be hard to figure out. :wink:

unknown-

5 Likes

LOL ā€˜Mystery Manā€™ sings all your SW favs :laughing:

3 Likes

Thereā€™s a chance it could also be Nevil Cameron, who sang the theme to Death Sentence or it could be Stefan Grossman, who sang the theme to A Man Called Sledge and The Ballad of Ben and Charlie. Both singers sound very similar but my bet is that itā€™s Stefan Grossman, as he moved to Italy in 1967, and I Lunghi Giorni Dellā€™odio came out in 68ā€™.

2 Likes

I think youā€™re on to something, VanEyck. Of the two you narrowed it down to, Nevil Cameron sounds the most like the singer of I Lunghi Giormi Dellā€™odio, to me. Stefan Grossman(to me) has too much of southern twang or something along those lines. Nevil Cameron sings a lot in Italian but I found this from Sentenza Di Morte conducted by Gianni Ferrio and sung by Cameron. It sounds a lot like the singer of I Lunghi Giormi Dellā€™odio, plus the movie has the same poster as your avatar. :wink:

2 Likes

Youā€™ve got a good point about Grossman, he does have a bit of a southern accent in his sound. Though it could just be a stylistic thing, hereā€™s a video of him talking normally.. Honestly you might be right about Nevil Cameron, I just didnā€™t pinpoint either singer because they both sound pretty similar.

Also isnā€™t your avatar from a Gordon Mitchell film? Born To Kill right?

1 Like

I agree, Grossman is likely using some sort of affectation. Initially, it sounded to me a little bit like Willy Nelson. I Lunghi Giormi Dellā€™odio strikes me as being sung by an American and Grossman definitely is American and I think I read Cameron lived in the US, although he was born in Jamaica and also sings convincingly in Italian, at least to my American ears.

Some themes from other Italian movies like Mannaja( Guido & Maurizio de Angelis) that are sung in English but are clearly not sung by singers with English as their first language, are interesting as well because they add another level of disconnect that I like about SW movies, like Italian movies filmed in Spain, financed by other countries including Germany but are set in the US and star actors from everywhere.

Yes, itā€™s from one of the Born to Kill posters. I liked the poster along with the movie.

2 Likes

Generally speaking, the more ā€œAmericanā€ the western, the less I like it. At least when it comes to older westerns, where its bordering on a kind of propaganda based on a totally false idea of American history. At least with SWs, its clearly all in some fictional world which has its own mythology and no one ever thinks otherwise. I donā€™t so much like Westerns, as I do the world of the SW.

And these older classic American westerns also have terrible, boring music, IMO

2 Likes

Great points guys. I agree it sounds more like Cameron. Sentenza Di Morte Is one of my favorite theme songs, itā€™s classic.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty much how I feel as well, including the music. I find that American westerns that I do like are the ones that are most SW-like and they include Randolph Scottā€™s late 50ā€™s early/60ā€™s movies directed by Budd Boetticher(which Sergio Leone acknowledged being influenced by), several Peckinpah movies, High Plains Drifter and maybe a few others. Literally 90% of the movies I now watch are Italian and most of those are SWs.

hmm which Randolph Scott titles are the best? I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen them, Iā€™m not even sure who he is. I would like to check them out. The Peckinpah Iā€™ve watched are alright, but need a fresh viewing as its been probably a decade since my first and only watch of his stuff.

Its also why I still like the US Eastwood movies - they arenā€™t great, but they are still more spag-like than early-American.

Pretty much anything on this boxset.

Plus this one:

3 Likes

The titles that Phil linked to covers them. From what I remember the extras had Eastwood, Tarantino, Scorsese, Frayling and others commenting. The movieā€™s were low budget with tight shooting schedules but good writing. Burt Kennedy wrote most of them and went on to direct Hannie Caulder and The Devilā€™s Backbone aka The Deserter, which have SW qualities. The Tall T is my favorite of the.Scott/Boetticher films. They were all good, werenā€™t really SW-ish but had a quality to them that separated them a little from other American westerns.

This link describes them: http://ranown.blogspot.com/

A good overview of them all:

2 Likes

I will try to check them all out soon, starting with The Tall T

I found myself singing, in my head, what I just confirmed to be I Lunghi Giorni Dellā€™odio, complete with the ā€˜James Bondā€™ instrumentals, as I sat down to work this morning. I had to look up this thread to check if it was the same song. :musical_score: :+1:

2 Likes