Trying to find the name of a SW

I’m hoping someone can help me identify a Spaghetti Western I saw on television as a kid… so it would have been from the 60’s or very early 70’s. The film opens with a group of outlaws riding peacefully into a ranch/town, before brutally slaughtering everyone there… it was a violent scene with children being shot down, a girl being hacked with a machete, etc. The ranch owner’s son was the only man in town and he was sick in bed, and they killed him as well. I specifically remember one of the bandits got a pitchfork to the face and had the scars throughout the rest of the film (like I said, a violent movie). Does anyone have any idea what film this might have been?

1 Like

Welcome to the SWDB, NilsHelstrom.

It definitely sounds to me like ‘Big Jake’ (1971), starring John Wayne.

2 Likes

Oh, wow, thanks, I need to check this out. I would not have guessed it was a John Wayne movie (I guess that’s why I couldn’t find it), the violence left an impression on me as a kid and I wouldn’t have thought it was ‘mainstream’. Much appreciated!

1 Like

Yes - this definitely sounds like Big Jake. Contains the old ‘I thought you was dead’ dialogue every time Wayne is seen that later turned up in Escape From New York.

2 Likes

I just ordered up the blu-ray. It will be interesting to see if I feel the same about it as I did when I was a kid!

1 Like

Nils, let us know what you now think after you’ve watched it again… :cowboy_hat_face: