Trying to find a Film From My Childhood

I’d appreciate any help you can give in helping me find this movie I remember from when I was a kid.

Basic Plot:
When I was a kid, I remember seeing a western about a guy who’s family or friends were killed. He swore revenge and hunted down the perpetrator and as luck had it, there was a bounty on the guys head so he managed to get paid for his efforts. This led into a life of bounty hunting and eventually he became legend. In the end though, he accidentally killed someone (I think it was in a church) and the tables were turned since there was now a bounty on his head and he was eventually killed by another (younger) bounty hunter.

Other clues:
I remember he had a sawn off shotgun pistol.
Also, he made friends with an older guy who used to be a sailor. His dream was to take a wagon and put a sail on it so he could make his “ship of the desert”.

I’d really like to find this movie if I can. It has been a lot of fun hunting down and watching movies I remember from my childhood. The last one was Vanishing Point. I guess my taste wasn’t too bad as a kid. ; -)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Art

Hi Art and welcome to the forum,

I don’t know what film this is but it does sound like an SW! I’m sure someone on this forum knows the title.

Maybe Kid Vengeance

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Kid_Vengeance

Bad luck, if it is :wink:

Yeah, not the greatest of films
Saw it a long time ago (maybe twenty years) and don’t remember all details. Lee and ex-sailor? Why not !

I don’t think it is. Garret doesn’t become a legend, he doesn’t have a sawn-off shotgun pistol, Lee is in fact the bad guy so they don’t make friends, and Jim Brown, that he actually makes friends with is a miner.

All true (I remember now Jim Brown is his friend), but you never know

Memories are deceiving, Silence, after a while people’s memories of a particular movie, book or event, nearly always consist of memories of several movies, books, events.

A memory is like an overloaded cupboard, when you open a door, all kind of things start falling out, including things you weren’t looking for

It does sound sort of similar to “Clumsy Hands” and “Django the Last Killer” … but based on other details, I don’t think it’s either of them.

Clumsy Hands aint a revenge for murder of family revenge film so no probably not that one.

Not seen Django Last Killer.

A big nope for both.

I really appreciate everybody pitching in and helping me try to figure this out !!!

I had another film like this that I puzzled over for a long time. In the end, it was From Noon Til Three. My memories of it were fairly close, surprisingly, though there was one scene I remembered very clearly and it never was in the VHS version I purchased. So clearly, memories can be a bit fuzzy.

Thanks!

-Art

Well, I’m making progress… As luck would have it, I found someone else looking for the exact same film. They remembered some details I didn’t but now that they mentioned them, they sound about right. It is good to know it isn’t a figment of my imagination.

Here is their description:

Yahoo | Mail, Wetter, Suche, Nachrichten, Finanzen, Sport & mehr

again any pointers would be appreciated!

-Art

Sorry, it doesn’t ring a bell

I found it! It was “The Bounty Killer” and it was filmed in 1965.

Here is the IMDB page: Colorado Saloon 12 Uhr 10 (1965) - IMDb

I’m watching it as I write this. Amazingly, my recollection was pretty accurate – surprisingly so. The things that surprised me is that the actors didn’t quite look like I remembered. The old sailor (played by Fuzzy Knight) I remember as being a familiar face – and perhaps he was to me when I was really young and he was more popular but to me now, I didn’t recognize him.

Was / is the film still good? Yes, I’d say it is well worth watching.

One caveat, there is another film by the same name – a spaghetti western in fact – with a completely different plot line.

Thanks everyone for the input in helping me track this down!

-Art

[quote=“pollarda, post:14, topic:2301”]I found it! It was “The Bounty Killer” and it was filmed in 1965.

Here is the IMDB page: Colorado Saloon 12 Uhr 10 (1965) - IMDb

I’m watching it as I write this. Amazingly, my recollection was pretty accurate – surprisingly so. The things that surprised me is that the actors didn’t quite look like I remembered. The old sailor (played by Fuzzy Knight) I remember as being a familiar face – and perhaps he was to me when I was really young and he was more popular but to me now, I didn’t recognize him.

Was / is the film still good? Yes, I’d say it is well worth watching.

One caveat, there is another film by the same name – a spaghetti western in fact – with a completely different plot line.

Thanks everyone for the input in helping me track this down!

-Art[/quote]

Glad you finally found it. I’d heard of this movie but never actually seen it. It is best known, I believe, for being the last hurrah for a whole gang of old B Western folk. Getting a chance to play cowboys one last time. You mention Fuzzy Knight of course but there was also Bob Steele, Buster Crabbe, Johnny Mack Brown and others. All treasured names from the 30s and 40s under card or serial oaters. Even the director was one of the old hands from that era.
It’s one I’d like to see for pure nostalgia sake as I have a fondness for those old flicks.

FYI the Spaghetti Western which goes by the same name is a beauty and one I’d recommend to anyone. You could do a lot worse than to check that one out too.

Film worth a view for sure. Only have a fullscreen VHS copy which is not the best quality, but this one is hard to get. If you want me to send you a copy drop me a P.M Phil.