Trinity Is Still My Name / … continuavano a chiamarlo Trinità (Enzo Barboni, 1971)

Are most people here reviewing the longer, supposedly less “funny” version, or the cut, re-dubbed version that’s much more readily available? I refer to the info I read here: Der Kleine und der müde Joe (1971) - Alternate versions - IMDb

I’m guessing most of you saw the cut/funnier version. I want to be sure to watch the better edition first, but I’m having trouble finding the extended one. :frowning:

The short version isn’t funnier, only shorter. But I’m not sure if this longer version is available outside of Germany. Maybe not even in Italy.

And the funny dub is only a German one (fun dubs were then a German “speciality”).
If you are looking for the English version, I’m sure there is only one dub and that’s most likely the shorter one.

The info at IMDB refers only to the German language versions. The uncut English language versions are around 113 minutes in PAL while the long German version is 121min PAL. Not sure if the film was ever that long in Italian either.

But it should be noted that most of the widescreen DVDs of both Trinitys in English are cut by several minutes. Even the Italian only Italian DVDs are cut. This is supposedly the way the rights owners want the films to be presented now. So if you want the uncut English language Trinitys, you need the not so good quality widescreen scandinavian discs (or maybe the similar quality Dutch ones?) or the fullscreen old “PD” discs from USA.

These running times are from my site for the widescreen discs, they should be accurate :P:

Cut:
USA Hen’s Tooth: 1:46:52 (English, PAL speed despite being NTSC disc)
UK Nouveaux: 1:47:15 (English)
Italy Medusa: 1:47:31 (Italian only, has some removed scenes as extras)

Uncut:
e-m-s Germany: 1:52:48 (German only)
Finland Future Film: 1:52:48 (English)

Long German theatrical:
New 3L disc (German and most of the movie in Italian?): 2:01:01
Old e-m-s bonus disc (German only): 2:01:39 (film ends at about 2:01:29)

Wow, thanks so much for the in-depth info Stanton & Sundance! When I saw the running time of 127 here on the SWDB, then read that page on the IMDB, I got concerned. I’d also read previously about those “re-dubs” that changed the tone of a film to be more humorous, so I thought perhaps that’s what the alternate cut was. Guess I’m stuck with the short cut, but it sounds like that’s what most people see (and enjoy). Interesting that even the Italian releases are cut now, I wonder why the rights owners prefer them that way…this stuff can get pretty confusing. It’s great having places like this to help people like me sort through it all. Thanks again! 8)

Saw this today for the first time. Daft-but-harmless sequence of set-pieces revolving around farcical misunderstandings, mistaken identities and bloodless, Asterix-style punch-ups. Very easy-going and much sillier than They Call Me Trinity, though like the first film it lost a lot of the credit it had built with me for devolving into an overlong fistfight at the finish (I also felt my entire body slump inside itself as I realised I was going to be subjected to yet another extended card game sequence. What is it with Spags and card games? They’re so BORING! Card games that is, not spags… oh, you know what I mean). Still, I laughed out loud a couple of times… well, grunted in vaguely amused approval, anyway. Hard to measure it against more conventional spags since it’s just too silly. But Terence Hill (and Bud Spencer too, to a lesser extent) is hard not to like. A handy film to have in the back pocket I’d say, for when you want a bit of Spag action but you’ve got a family of all ages sat hither and yon about the place. It’s certainly got Django Kill licked in that department. :slight_smile:

“But, LC, which version did you see??” I hear every last one of you cry, in abject terror and extreme arousal.

I dunno, THIS[url]- YouTube version, on YouTube.

Almost looks better than my Dutch DVD (not anamorphic, washed-out colours)

the only thing i leek it’s the fistfight at the end ???

I like that running joke:

Strangest pair of bandits I’ve ever seen
Strangest pair or federal agents I’ve ever seen

And I love the restaurant & the confessional scene

I don’t know why but these last few days I’ve been thinking a lot of a phrase in some spaghetti, probably a Terence Hill one. It answers to the saying “an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth” by the arguement that in the end “everyone would be blind and toothless”. Does anyone remember which film this was in?

I’m pretty sure in one of the Alex Cox films I watched recently (believe it was Searchers 2.0), the guy answers the argument saying there will be one guy left who isn’t blind because he’s not going to shoot himself in the eye

Not a Spag, but: It wasn’t Fiddler on the Roof, was it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_for_an_eye#Notable_dissenters

Mahatma Gandhi: “An-eye-for-an-eye-for-an-eye-for-an-eye … ends in making everybody blind.”
Martin Luther King, Jr. later used this phrase in the context of racial violence: “The old law of an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind.”
In [size=14pt]Fiddler on the Roof[/size], the protagonist, Tevvye, replies to the phrase with “And then the whole world would be blind and toothless.”

[quote=“last.caress, post:31, topic:1055”]Not a Spag, but: It wasn’t Fiddler on the Roof, was it?

[url]Eye for an eye - Wikipedia

Mahatma Gandhi: “An-eye-for-an-eye-for-an-eye-for-an-eye … ends in making everybody blind.”
Martin Luther King, Jr. later used this phrase in the context of racial violence: “The old law of an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind.”
In [size=14pt]Fiddler on the Roof[/size], the protagonist, Tevvye, replies to the phrase with “And then the whole world would be blind and toothless.”
[/quote]
Thanks alot last.caress! It was The Fiddler on the Roof! But after watcing it I watched so many spaghettis that I mixed things up a little…!

With you on this.
The second Trinity is THE BEST!

I must have been drinking too much Ruby Port…just realised I posted a reply to a post 3 years ago!!

Having said that…I adore ‘Trinity is Still My Name’ …

I watched this on TV before watching the original. Both Films were part of the BBC 2. ‘Spaghetti Western’ Season, broadcast in August, 1979.
I missed the first film, saw the second, and fell in love with the characters…sheer 'Laurel and Hardy ‘Italian Style’ …excellence!.
Today, I received the soundtrack to ‘Trinity is Still My Name’ in the Post. I have now got the great opening title ‘Trinity Stand Tall’. I could listen to the lyrics of this song all day long, simply because they remind me of my youth…wonderful!

Nothing wrong with that.

I rewatched both Trinities a while ago, still can’t decide which one is the better of the two

Hey all back again. After going the entirety of 2016 without watching a single spaghetti western (I don’t know why either) I decided to return to the genre watching this for the first time. I saw the first one along with GFID and Ace High years ago and loved all three, but after reading Hughes’ Once upon a Time… I decided not to watch this because his comments made it sound like they resorted to tasteless toilet humour that went against what made the other movies so great. I really kick myself for not watching this one earlier because I absolutely loved it, certainly more than the first and probably more than Blazing Saddles. While I think the baby was used one or two occasions too many, I think this is definitely one of the better spaghetti westerns and competes with My Name is Nobody as the best comedy western. Better late than never though.

This movie’s page in the SWDb has been updated to the new “SWDb 3.0” format .
Please have a look and let us know if there’s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.).
For example, we have no VHS releases in there.

New poll on this one at the top :arrow_up: :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like