Top movie car chases

no I didn’t

yes you did :slight_smile:

too late, the 5 minutes are over …

[b]Don’t give me that you snotty faced heap of parrot droppings!/b]…Oh, I’m sorry, I thought you were here for abuse.

Maybe one can not consider it as ‘top’ movie, but I have to mention “Banditi a Milano”.

Never cared much for car chases, but I think the one with the remote controll mini car in The Dead Pool is very good

Not a car chase of course, but I found the chase scene in Point Break quite exciting

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:26, topic:1708”]Never cared much for car chases, but I think the one with the remote controll mini car in The Dead Pool is very good

Not a car chase of course, but I found the chase scene in Point Break quite exciting[/quote]
On my list of course. Funny & creative. Forgotten as it is not the normal chase sequence but a car chase after all. Vanishing Point comes up a lot too. Although the whole movie can be considered a car chase. Kind of like the Warriors in a vehicle.

“La mala ordina” has got one of the greatest car/foot chases.

Here would be the new top 15…

Violent Rome (Love the sound of the car engines, just has you the whole time)
Special Cop in Action
The Spy Who Loved Me (Motorbike, car, and helicopter)
Light Blast (Castellari)
Battletruck
Rage (1995, Gary Daniels) (Tanker truck causes destruction for 20 minutes of the film)
Action USA (4 great car chases)
For Your Eyes Only
Mad Max 2
Mad Max
Bullitt
Convoy
Wheels of Fire (1985) (have to put this after Mad Max 2 as its sort of a rip off)
Gone in 60 Seconds (1974)
The Sweeper (1996)

No love for Blazing Magnum or To Live And Die In LA, chuck?

Ah, haven’t seen To Live And Die In LA… but yeah great stunts in Blazing Magnum, nice jump over the train.

one of my favs is the final chase in Good, Bad, Weird - involving horses, trucks, and bike

The one at the beginning of Quantum of Solace is incredible. A tour de force of editing, sounds and images.

yeah, that one is pretty good - it could be longer though - best moment of the film

I think we’ve discussed this one before in the Bond thread but I found this sequence to be disorientating and incoherent in the extreme. A car chase, or action sequence of any kind for that matter, has a narrative arc the same as any other dramatic scene and, as such, the viewer needs to be able to follow what is happening, where things are placed, where the action is heading. This scene, for me, has far too many rapid cuts to make any of that possible. I found myself having no idea where anything was in relation to anything else and rather than the increased pace making it more exciting it all became just plain irritating. If I want a motion master ride I’ll go to a theme park. Quantum of Solace had a few scenes cut like this (fights as well as chases) and it completely spoilt the film for me. Proof positive, in my eyes at least, that it is possible to crank things up too far.

Tend to prefer car chases and car stunts from the 70’s. I know there is no CGI involved then.

Yeah… raw random collateral chaos, like the chases in Ronin. No special FX. Non-pretentiousness. The original Italian Job chase was well-filmed, but the invigorating excitement wasn’t there.

But most can follow what is happening, and I’m sure you also. You don’t get every detail, of course, but I don’t think that’s necessary.
I like and enjoy the “feel” of the scene (you obviously don’t), and of all the other action scenes in Quantum of Solace. The flight chase is also outstanding. And many of the moments and details I’m able to see, are stunningly filmed. But the whole film is pure beauty for me.
I have just a few days ago re-watched it (5th time), and Quantum of Solace gets better and better for me.

Phil, watch the first scene again. Maybe you will enjoy it more.

The opening to Police Story has a fanciful, awesome car chase intro…

I don’t know how to define the criteria for the best chases. If I say that it should be all gear/engine/tire-noise and no music-soundtrack, along comes Quantum Of Solace and a few others, who use music as an unobtrusive background-wall. If I say I don’t like ‘the invisible ramp-effect’, where vehicles unrealistically become airborne, along comes the original Gone In 60-Seconds and its spectacular finale. Death Proof works great, in spite of a woman on the hood of the Camaro, etc… Maybe the vehicles must have some sort of charisma which makes the chase ‘great’-- oop. Nevermind. As the 7-Ups, To Live And Die In LA just use regular pedestrian-type vehicles…

The best foot-chase has gotta be in They Call Me Mr. Tibbs, however…