Top 10 film endings

What are, IYO, the 10 most touching/powerful film endings ever?

1. The Shawshank Redemption
  2. Casablanca
  3. Schindler’s List
  4. Of Mice and Men
  5. Once Upon a Time in the West
  6. Saving Private Ryan
  7. The Green Mile
  8. Requiem for a Dream
  9. Apocalypse Now
  10. Million Dollar Baby

[quote=“The Magnificent Gringo, post:1, topic:1845”]What are, IYO, the 10 most touching/powerful film endings ever?

1. The Shawshank Redemption

2. Casablanca

3. Schindler’s List

4. Of Mice and Men

6. Saving Private Ryan

7. The Green Mile

8. Requiem for a Dream

9. Apocalypse Now

10. Million Dollar Baby[/quote]
    While I agree with some of the above movies I disagree on the best endings. I love Speildberg’s approach in SPR, I feel the ending sucks. Not the first time this has happened. Jaws, easily in my top 5 movies all time has a shit ending. Apocalypse Now Doesn’t have a great ending IMO either. For me it’s about the build up more than the payoff in AN. I’ll give it a try. These all might not be that touching but powerful and/or shocking they might just be.

11. Citizen Kane

12. Usual Suspects

13. Sixth Sense

14. Good, The Bad & The Ugly (build up & payoff)

15. Gone Baby Gone

16. The Champ (Ricky Schroeder & John Voight)

17. Old Boy (just plain fucked up)

18. Pianist

19. Rocky

20. Crying Game

It was a hard decision, but here it is

1. Field of Dreams
  2. The Plague Dogs
  3. The Green Mile
  4. Emperor of the North
  6. The Searchers
  7. Scalps
  8. Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean
  9. The Man Who Would Be King
  10. Usual Suspects

The Usual Suspects? Interesting.

I always thought the end of TUS ruins the film.

When I said “powerful” I actually meant “emotionally powerful”, as in…so powerful that it touches your soul. I don’t think Usual Suspect and GBU has any emotional impact on me at all, only the excitment.

I’m supprised no one’s mentioned “Dr. Stranglove, or; How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb”. The ending of the film leaves me hollow inside. A film that can be viewed as a black comedy and a serious film.

[quote=“Stanton, post:4, topic:1845”]The Usual Suspects? Interesting.

I always thought the end of TUS ruins the film.[/quote]
?!

Can anybody put a ‘Who is your favourite smurf topic’ on. I’m too lazy to do it. (That statement also gives away my favourite smurf)

I love 'em all!

I’d have to say The Last American Virgin as well…

Any Waiting for Godot play from Samuel Beckett adapted to the cinema

Giuliano Gemma played in Godot type of movie called Il Deserto dei Tartari; it’s set on an outpost somewhere in Southern Russia (if I’m not mistaken), where a regiment of soldiers is waiting for an attack by the Tartars. Nobody has ever seen the Tartars so nobody knows what to do except for something that’s never going to happen.

A few years ago, on a Belgian film festival, I saw a Tunesian movie in which a man was waiting for another man who would never show up. The director was present on the festival, but I forgot to ask if he had ever seen (or read) Waiting for Godot or Il Deserto dei Tartari.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:12, topic:1845”]Giuliano Gemma played in Godot type of movie called Il Deserto dei Tartari; it’s set on an outpost somewhere in Southern Russia (if I’m not mistaken), where a regiment of soldiers is waiting for an attack by the Tartars. Nobody has ever seen the Tartars so nobody knows what to do except for something that’s never going to happen.

A few years ago, on a Belgian film festival, I saw a Tunesian movie in which a man was waiting for another man who would never show up. The director was present on the festival, but I forgot to ask if he had ever seen (or read) Waiting for Godot or Il Deserto dei Tartari.[/quote]

One of my favourite films Deserto dei Tartari, got an amazing cast

Giuliano Gemma was awarded for his role.

Funny thing is that the film is based on a novel (with the same title) that is actually older than Becket’s stage play
It was published in 1940, while Becket’s play was conceived (in French) in 1948

hard boiled( at the end 45 minutes of shooting!)
light the fuse sartana is coming
fistful of dollars
grand duel
five for hell
the punisher 1989
high voltage
five element ninjas
robocop 2
the victim