Top 10 albums of all time

You should get it. Makes the songs shine in a new light. It’s not only that McCartney got rid of Phil Spector’s often tastelessly overblown orchestrations, the changing of the song order helps more than one might think.
But I Me Mine is still in the longer version on the CD. This was one of Spector’s great ideas.

The only weak song is still Lennon’s One After 909, a reworking of an early days song, which wasn’t good enough then, and is only there cause of the original “Get Back to the roots” concept.

Ahh! I remember some time ago hearing a stripped down remix of Across the Universe. Didn’t realize the whole album had been redone.

I picked Sgt. Peppers over the White Album because Sgt. was more planned out brilliance & has a better flow from song to song where as the White album is popular not just because of the songs but because it is all over the place, reflecting of course the band’s state at the time. Different band members always have written or had their own input in various songs before but never has the range of style between songs been so drastic. Revolver is a more important album to a lot of people because it started them off in a different direction creatively. I love all three & to leave others was hard (as with many bands/artists) but those two HAD to be somewhere on the list. Wish I Still had my cutout mustache from my original lp. to me, Let It Be is thier worst. The dressed down/non Phil Spector version is better but still not a fav of mine. I also just noticed that I left off London Calling (what an I…Idiot) Have to adjust my top 10. Although Super Black Market is a better listen for me but it’s not an actual album & more of a collection (that’s why I left off Best Of’s As well). I thought this would be a good thread because the more someone knows about music, the harder it is to narrow down your tops.

my top 20 albums

1. Powerslave - Iron Maiden
  2. London Calling - The Clash
  3. Death Penalty - Witchfinder General
  4. …And Out Come the Wolves - Rancid
  5. Drunken Lullabies - Flogging Molly
  6. The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly - Ennio Morricone
  7. Question The Answers - The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
  8. The Carnival Bizarre - Cathedral
  9. Master of Reality - Black Sabbath
  10. The Final Cut - Pink Floyd
  11. Nightfall - Candlemass
  12. Sailing The Seas of Cheese - Primus
  13. One Step Beyond - Madness
  14. Beyond the Crimson Horizon - Solitude Aeturnus
  15. The Specials - The Specials
  16. Wheels of Steel - Saxon
  17. Hammerheart - Bathory
  18. Behemoth - The Apostasy
  19. Electric Wizard - Electric Wizard
  20. Sleep’s Holy Mountain - Sleep

This has been a very difficult top twenty to pick…

And ‘real’ Blues fans hate it. Kind of like how a lot of western ‘fans’ hate sw’s. 8) For those who like Blues rock more than traditional blues (which I am kind of in the middle). Also love Hooker & Heat. The raw sound of Canned Heat matched perfect with John Lee’s offbeat swing. Love the self titled Doors album made in like 7 hours. LA Woman or Morrison Hotel would challenge that one for me. Great list!

Good thread! But very hard to choose… So, going by what i still listen to most often

1. Fat Mattress - Fat Mattress
  2. Steppenwolf - Steppenwolf The second or For Ladies Only
  3. Blue Cheer - Outsideinside or Vincebus Eruptum
  4. Elmer Gantry’s Velvet Opera - Elmer Gantry’s Velvet Opera
  5. Pink Fairies - Never never Land
  6. Cat Stevens - Mona Bone Jakon
  7. Arlo Guthrie - Hobo’s Lullaby
  8. Monster Magnet - Dopes To Infinity
  9. Type O Negative - October Rust
  10. Scott Walker - Scott
  11. Rammstein - Sehnsucht
  12. Moby Grape - Wow
  13. Quatermass - Quatermass
  14. Edgar Broughton Band - Wasa wasa
  15. Pacific Gas And Electric - Are You Ready?

The list really could go on and on!

[quote=“Silver, post:26, topic:1682”]Good thread! But very hard to choose… So, going by what i still listen to most often

1. Moby Grape - Wow[/quote]

Very eclectic list. I love Moby Grape’s ‘Grape Jam’. Have it on LP.

Another good one. Love The Grape. I picked Wow mainly because “Murder In MY Heart For The Judge” is one of my all time favourite songs. Got a big soft spot for “motorcycle Irene” too :wink:

From Arlo Guthrie To Monster Magnet?! That’s why I love these lists.

Ah, The Grape. About wore out their debut!
Three Dog Night did a nice rendition of Murder in My Heart on Harmony.

[quote=“Carlos, post:30, topic:1682”]Ah, The Grape. About wore out their debut!
Three Dog Night did a nice rendition of Murder in My Heart on Harmony.[/quote]

Sounds interesting. May have to track that one down :wink:

That’s hard…

1. The White Stripes - Elephant
  2. Volker Kriegel - Missing Link
  3. Jethro Tull - Minstrel In The Gallery
  4. Led Zeppelin - II
  5. The Who - Who Are You?
  6. John Coltrane - Newport 63
  7. Beatles - Abbey Road
  8. Bill Evans - From The Left To The Right
  9. Focus - Live At The Rainbow
  10. KRAAN - LIVE

Great choices ‘Who Are You’ & ‘Led Zeppelin II’ are on my extended list & I love the White Stripes. ‘Abbey road’ is another great Beatles album but I tried not to flood my list with them. First Jethro Tull appearance as well (their spot on Rock N’ Roll Circus is among my favorites). Do you think Dillinger listened to Jazz between bank jobs?

I think it´s pretty interesting that on all the lists so far there´s only one country record, by Johnny Cash who in a way is bigger than that genre at least nowadays (apart from being dead that is). I like cowboyfilms if they´re from Europe, but haven´t got much of an interest in country & western music either, apart from Cash (who i actually saw play some 10 years ago) the only other records of this stuff i have is one from Steve Earl that i haven´t played for ages and a really great one with Hank Williams.

You got it right magnus. My list of Country worth listening to would be

1 - Johnny Cash
2 - Steve Earle
3 - Hank Williams

I’m tempted to throw in Patsy Cline, but she’s really more popish. I don’t know of any other country worth listening to, though i’m sure there is, it’s a big world out there.

Maybe the disparity lies in the sound difference between old classic country, rock-a-billy & modern country. I’m no expert at all but I feel that Cash transcends his genre. You hear it a lot ‘I don’t really like country, but love Johnny Cash’. Artists to look into are

1. Johnny Cash
  2. Patsy Cline
  3. Hank Williams Sr.
  4. Buck Owens
  5. Chet Atkins
  6. Slim Whitman
  7. Carl Perkins
  8. Dale Hawkins

Also absent from the lists are folk albums. Near misses on my list are

Nick Drake: Time Of No Reply
Gillian Welch: Hell Among The Yearlings
O’ Brother, Where Art Thou Soundtrack
Allison Krauss/Robert Plant: Raising Sand

Some newer folk I really like is Iron & Wine… often when listening I imagine it set to a western, especially the album Our Endless Numbered Days

I’ve got so many records that is impossible to be rational in such lists, but some of my favorite ones are definitely those:

Mark Lanegan - Bublegum
Sonic Youth - Goo
Nirvana - Nevermind
Alice In Chains - Dirt
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Mudhoney - Superfuzz Bigmuff
At The Drive-in - Relationship Of Command
Faith No More - King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime
Megadeth - Youthanasia
Pantera - Cowboys From hell

And then would come PJ Harvey, Radiohead, Mão Morta, Black Flag, Pearl Jam, Tool… never ending list I guess!

It is cool to see that many of my favourite ones are also likes of some of you guys.

I think, between bank jobs, there were other… jobs.

Nothing like a good other job.