Today We Kill … Tomorrow We Die! / Oggi a me … domani a te! (Tonino Cervi, 1968)

One of the first I viewed aswell after the Leone westerns, and still enjoy viewing this one. Like the landscape.

Database comment:

Today It’s Me… Tomorrow It’s You is a stylishly filmed and straightforwardly told revenge story inspired by Samurai films and made by a director who had formerly produced well respected Italian film classics by directors like Fellini, Antonioni or Rosi. Brett Halsey in the lead comes closer to the Django character than most of the “official” Django movies, and just like the rest of his “magnificent 5” or his foe Tatsuya Nakadai he is characterized in best SW manner by his clothes and his behaviour, not by a background story or meaningful dialogue. The only blemish is that the big finale fails to set a real point of culmination for the film. But it is beautifully filmed in an enchanted looking autumnal wood.

Excellent

Not so sure about that. I’ve watched approximately 10-12 SWs and I LOVED most, thought a few were ok, and disliked only a couple. Maybe I just had to high of expectations for this one. I just didn’t care what would happen to any of the characters. In the future I will go back and give it another look though.

Bought the Argentinian DVD. Despite some defects in the credits sequence it looks very good. English audio!

Some more available here:

Yeah, looks better than the Dutch DFW disc

I’m very pleased with all the DVDs I’ve bought from them, although this time a smart guy opened the package and robbed my Blindman copy.

[quote=“p.pereira, post:45, topic:189”]Bought the Argentinian DVD. Despite some defects in the credits sequence it looks very good. English audio!

Some more available here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/porumpunhadodeeuros/sets/72157624026117688/[/quote]
where can i buy this print???

Been curious to watch this SW for a long time now, it got some important names in the genre Spencer, Berger, Argento mixed with more usual low profile names, and Tatsuya Nakadai as the bad guy, so I imagined some sort of West meets East Samurai stuff, like Red Sun or something.

Couldn’t be more wrong, the main actor Brett Halsey was a letdown again, no special charisma and always with a look like he’s suffering a lot, or like we say in Portugal like if everybody owns in money and don’t pay him, also notice in the final showdown that he used arranged eyebrow’s like woman do, and that is not a good think in my book for a SW hero (or anti-hero or whatever), but the man was not born for main SW parts. Berger was the best of the bunch, even Spencer was only a regular secondary above the other two.
Then we have Nakadai, as James Elfego and he’s of course in a different league, the man played Lord Hideora Ichimonji in Kurosawa Masterpiece Ran for God sake, among others classics from the same director, so the question is – was he more added value for the movie? Yes but wasted most part, and out of context, we all know that the west was a more heterogeneous place in terms of people’s origin that it seems, but even so never was a clear explanation for the character origin (at least I didn’t notice), in any case that is not enough to spoil a film, just looks weird.

The story starts with the by now usual for me, gathering of a team of nasty guys for a dangerous mission, in the sixties I suppose the Pandora’s box for this was open By Roger Corman with his Secret Invasion war film. So the script is nothing special for Argento talent that is, some nice comic scenes at the beginning (like the one with the replaced sheriff) but everything pretty much slow and very predictable we can see everything coming from far, a trivial revenge story with trivial being the strong word. The gothic ending looked odd also out of context with a western or more important the rest of the film, I couldn’t see any of the tricks used by Indians and Mexicans when fighting, at least like the main character said he will use, and the bad guys, they just followed the tracks right to the slaughter, lousy Indians must have lost their skills (with the Italian Winter perhaps).

Cervi was best known as a producer and this was the only SW he directeed I think, I don’t know much of his other work as a director, but I didn’t find this one nothing special. To say the true I’ve watched a much less production value SW the other day – No graves in Boot Hill – from Garrone, and the story in that one is much better in my view, Cervi did the usual, with horses running around from one place to another etc etc with no particular enthusiasm or something hidden in the sleeve for the viewer pleasure, add that to fact that he couldn’t explore more the luck he had of having a talented actor like Nakadai in the film, and we’re talked about this one

So regular SW, with extra production value that wasn’t properly used in my opinion, some not common particularities in SW were just added but without a clear background or a decent plot that could tied them together or explain them. The choice of main actor didn’t help either.

The score was at least different from the usual one, not great but different at least

Was expecting more 3 stars almost falling to 2.9

i quite like Brett, he is no match for main stars of the genre, but i think he did a decent job
i almost forgot Berger is in this one - he was totally idle
some pretty good action scenes this movie contains, although the finale deserves more action
i like forest scenery, well, i always liked when western movie was set in the woods

I like Brett too. And that pained expression of his works well for me in all his westerns. Gives a sense that he is a suffering character which fits the loner roles well I think.

It doesn’t work for me, I also think he doesn’t have another look at lest from waht I’ve seen, suffering he may be, but I prefer when that leads to pure hate, something missing here. In any case my personal favourite suffering looks are the ones from Nero in Django and Trintignant in Big Silence

I like this one. A really good spaghetti western.
Brett Halsey was quite good IMO, certainly he cannot compete with such giants like Nero, Trintignant, but he’s really good in this one. Actually Tatsuya Nakadai steals the show as this crazy villain.
Overall I like this movie very much, gloomy and very, very violent. If the story hadn’t been so simple, it could have been even somewhere in my personal top 30. Now it is only in my top 40.
Cervi’s direction gives a impression, it could have been more developed, but nevertheless we’ve got here many stylish moments (I love particularly the scene, when El Fuego faces Kiowa, and we can see the faces of gang’s members - fantastic!! ;))
Very simple and entertaining at the same time. The atmosphere is probably the best, a bit horror-like.
I’d like see more sw, filmed in those autumnal forests…
No masterpiece, but a decent western. Recommended.

I agree with Topo that Nakadai’s role was wasted a bit. He seems to overact alot in this film, though I do not believe that its his fault. I think the director wanted him to ham it up and be a bit wierd, and Nakadai, realizing that this is a low budget b movie and not arthouse, was ready to oblige, which didn’t really work. I prefer him to act more subtle like he did in Yojimbo or Sanjuro. Whatever the case, its definitely an above average SW for me. Great cast with a magnificent seven esque premise. And I thought Halsey was good enough. Perhaps the characters could’ve been fleshed out more, especially Nakadai, but even then I think it narrowly missed out on my top 20.

I forgot to mention about Angelo Francesco Lavagnino’s soundtrack. I simply love. The main theme should have been much darker, it’s too light-hearted for me, but anyway it fits the movie. Great stuff. ;D

I agree with Topo that Nakadai's role was wasted a bit. He seems to overact alot in this film, though I do not believe that its his fault. I think the director wanted him to ham it up and be a bit wierd, and Nakadai, realizing that this is a low budget b movie and not arthouse, was ready to oblige, which didn't really work. I prefer him to act more subtle like he did in Yojimbo or Sanjuro.
Maybe, but I like him anyway. Not one of the best sw villains ever, but one of better.

i also like Nakadai, although he deserves a better lines in this one

Well I just didn’t like it, I think they just put some out of the normal elements like a japanese actor and some gothic/terror feeling and drop them in the plot in a clumsy easy way, without a clever background story to support them.
Don’t get me wrong I also like that gothic felling, but somehow I don’t imagine some Indian and Mexican thugs, or a Japonese Samurai with a TexMex name in it, maybe the Headless horseman.
In the end I was expecting more I guess, and got desappointed, perhaps that’s why I’m being so critic on this one

by the way, Topo, this movie was yesterday on one of Slovak tv channels and in prime time, what a coincidence :smiley:

Humm got to move to Slovakia then, can’t remember the last time any Portuguese TV channel put one a SW in any time prime or not, if I not mistaken the last one I remember watching it was Four of the Apocalipse and more than 10 years ago for sure