Today We Kill … Tomorrow We Die! / Oggi a me … domani a te! (Tonino Cervi, 1968)

This is a pretty good film. An all-star team takes on a villian played by a japanese actor! whohoo!. And Bud spencer is in there, too.
I enjoyed it although it lacked the technical skill of many others.

what did you think?

For more info visit:
Database link:https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Oggi_a_me…_domani_a_te%21

Give Today We Kill Tomorrow We Die your rating out of 5 stars!

0 voters

I like this flick as well. The japanese Actor, Nakadai btw., is real great in this almost insane part- have a look at his eyes!Scenery, story and camera are also among the Top 100 for me. And finaly Hippie-Willi is on board- with very little exceptions, where Berger is in- the SW-Westerns are at least enjoyable. Interesting unfamiliar scenery- a welcome change.

I missed it on TV but I think the German disc is cheap and uncut.

yeah this Samurai aspect to the film is really great, i like Nakadai, he adds a lot to this film

How’s the picture quality of the German release compared with the Japanese SPO disc? Anyone…?

The Japanese SPO release is presented in 4:3 and that is a crime.

I own the Japanese SPO disc, and it’s definitely not in 4:3…are you mixing up the releases, perhaps…?

the german is a 1.85:1 but i don’t know for sure if it’s anamorphic. i’ve heard it to be decent at least

[quote=“Mannaja, post:7, topic:189”]I own the Japanese SPO disc, and it’s definitely not in 4:3…are you mixing up the releases, perhaps…?[/quote]Oh, then I’m wrong. I got the information from here:
[url]http://www.sundances.net/spaghetti/today.php[/url]

[quote=“veda, post:9, topic:189”]Oh, then I’m wrong. I got the information from here:
[url]http://www.sundances.net/spaghetti/today.php[/url][/quote]

Chk the page again and you’ll notice that there are question marks on almost all the info concerning that title…

Just watched the movie (I have it on tape, The Spaghetti Western Collection from Aktiv).
I am not fond of this movie, alltought Spencer and Berger play in it. The selection of the Gun fighters is done better in other movies and the Samurai effect of using a japaese character is poor. A few times you see his sword and that’s about it. I have seen better in “Le soleil Rouge”. But there you have Mifune…

I just watched it after I have bought the DVD today. I found it entertaining as well. Actors are good, story typically revenge-filled. Nice flick. But I have also to agree to shobary, some things are very close to DRAH and GBU. And the setting is like shot in a german forest. But I don’t care about this… :slight_smile:

[quote=“LooneyElmerFudd, post:11, topic:189”]Just watched the movie (I have it on tape, The Spaghetti Western Collection from Aktiv).
I am not fond of this movie, alltought Spencer and Berger play in it. The selection of the Gun fighters is done better in other movies and the Samurai effect of using a japaese character is poor. A few times you see his sword and that’s about it. I have seen better in “Le soleil Rouge”. But there you have Mifune…[/quote]what other movies are on this aktiv collection?

Anybody have anything to say about the Region 1 VCI Video release?

Other movies i can think of that came out on Activ

COMPANEROS
KEOMA
BULLET FOR THE GENERAL
TEXAS ADDIO
DJANGO THE BASTARD
FACE TO FACE

i think Return of Django (The only official sequel with Franco Nero) came out also but im not 100%

Companeros was full screen though and the shorter version of the film.
Keoma is cut by the BBFC (Horse falls i think)

Ihave the region 1 release and as far as i can see it is the same print as the Activ video tape.

It wouldn’t surprise me one bit. It’s well known that the “good looking” movies on Brentwood are taken directly from laser discs put out by other companies (and since they are US “public domain” titles Brentwood just steals them). They do the same with video tapes also.

VCI is a budget/public domain label and have no moral qualms or legal impediments to simply copying some other companies work if it is no longer under US copyright.

This seems so wrong to me. At the same time it does bring some hard to find titles to DVD at very, very low cost.

I didn’t know VCI was a public domain label.
I know there packaging looks cheap but quite a few of their first releases were full price,the Bava’s etc. :slight_smile:

I actually really like this movie.
Bret Halsey looks great as Kiowa and Berger and Spencer are always good value. I also liked Nakadai as the crazy villain.
But mostly it’s the unfamiliar setting that stands out for me. With so many Spaghettis shot in Almeria when you have an example of something so different it is quite striking. Like The Great Silence in the snow. This movie has grey skies and mud which gives it a completely different feel and the climax in the forest of leafless trees is almost eerie.
Overall a decent revenge flick. I just wish I had a better print to watch than my old vhs tape.

[quote=“Mortimer, post:17, topic:189”]It wouldn’t surprise me one bit. It’s well known that the “good looking” movies on Brentwood are taken directly from laser discs put out by other companies (and since they are US “public domain” titles Brentwood just steals them). They do the same with video tapes also.

VCI is a budget/public domain label and have no moral qualms or legal impediments to simply copying some other companies work if it is no longer under US copyright.

This seems so wrong to me. At the same time it does bring some hard to find titles to DVD at very, very low cost.[/quote]
If one alters a public domain work, let’s say restore it or add different music, the altered work is NOT in the public domain. Take for instance Death Rides a Horse, of which there is a terrible looking public domain version. It can be found here Death Rides a Horse The restored version however, is not public domain. And that wouldn’t be right either, as you say. But, since the market is flooded with crappy releases, it’s not commercially attractive to restore these old movies. That’s why you get all these crappy Boot Hill-like releases. Maybe we should all chip in and form a consortium to restore some spaghetti westerns, hehe. My first choice would be Fidani’s Savage Guns. I’d love to see a good looking version of that movie.

On topic: My DFW dvd of Today it’s me, tomorrow it’s you is licensed from Atlántida Films S.A. So I reckon they own it.