Today We Kill … Tomorrow We Die! / Oggi a me … domani a te! (Tonino Cervi, 1968)

A rather average Spaghetti Western and I’m rather afraid Alex Cox’s comments made me expect more than there is. The opening set-up of the film with Brett Halsey rounding up his posse, is banal and something of a waste, as most of the characters (despite the strong cast) are given very little to do. Even William Berger seems subdued here for the most part. It kicks into a higher gear with the introduction of Tatsuya Nakadai, who’s a classic villain. The b/w flashback works very well (and feels indebted to both Leone and Kurosawa) and Cervi seems to take more interest in the proceedings with a well-directed climax, utilising some nicely flashy cutting and good photography of the autumnal forest, providing much needed atmosphere. As Sherp has mentioned, the sustained medium shot as Halsey and Nakadai face each other off is superb and belongs to a better film than this frankly. And then we’re given an almost sentimental, distinctly Hollywood ending which undermines the characters, who were previously shown to be willing to do anything for $5000. The second half is much superior to the first but overall it can’t lift this out of the 3/5 range.

What is the best DVD release? I got the Scandinavian DVD very cheap. I won it on a bid for just over £2. Good deal! The quality of the disc looks good but the best-looking print I’ve seen was the one broadcast on movies4men.

1 Like

The best is the new German disc just coming out, but it’s not English friendly.

Ah well, the Scandinavian one is good enough for me.

Pretty much a straight forward revenger, well conceived and well executed with some little used locations (if there’s a sandpit in sight it is well disguised) make Today We Kill a winner. There seems to be a disagreement on the prison warden; our DB has Michele Borelli (is he kin to Franco?), the Spencer-Hill DB Franco Pechini and IMDB both :slight_smile: .

Some sources (and the DB) have Franco Pechini as sheriff. Umm… and there’s another one in the flashback

I did not spot Nazzareno Zamperla, who is credited as maestro d’armi, but Rinaldo’s here with the versatile Riccardo Petrazzi

We have Giancarlo Sisto as the poker player but he seems to me to be the credited Victoriano Gazzara, on the right in Django the Bastard

And then there’s Maria in the flashback; not Dana Ghia (DB)!

1 Like

I found them both in old TV Mini-Series: Franco Pechini is with certainty the prison warden, Michele Borelli… none of the above!

He is very likely the flashback sheriff, Bannister in the Italian dub.

Here is the third Borelli in episodes from Luisa Sanfelice (1966) and La donna di cuori (1969):

As for Victoriano Gazzara (also credited as Vic Gazzarra and Victoriano Gazzarra), I’ve been at this for some time a few months ago and all the signs seem to indicate an alias for Giancarlo Sisti.

It’s hard to get a good look at Sheriff Bannister but he looks right to be Borelli

As far as Sisti, yes they are very similar (like twins) but to me he looks slightly different, softer features and the eyes seem different.

Re-watched this one yesterday as part of this year’s Spagvemberfest and was interested to see how I felt about it this time around. The biggest thing that struck me was that the second half, essentially once Nakadai shows up, is so much stronger than the first half when the team is being assembled. This is also the point when they move to the atmospheric wintry/autumnal forest setting too and it is these things which stick in my memory so fondly about the film. So, still an enjoyable ride without a doubt but perhaps slipping a little as the years go by in my list of favourites due to its inconsistency.

1 Like

From Scherpschutter’s Review:
It was one of those spaghetti westerns that met with censorship; in most versions a couple of moments that were cut during the flashback sequence are still missing. You’ll notice the cut easily and will understand why it was made.

That part of the flashback and the scene in which Bunny Fox touches the prostitute’s ass are still cut when the movie is shown on television in Italy.

Been a while since I watched this, so I decided to give it another try. Still thought it was a very good film and I enjoyed much as I did the first time.

1 Like

Has the Wild East Blu-ray been cancelled?

I guess they realised Synapse has the rights to it.

It was up for one day on WEs page…

It seems that the world premiere took place on April 2, 1968 (see the new images at the bottom of the linked page).

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Oggi_a_me…_domani_a_te!/Pictures

1 Like

Pity that Wild East Blu won’t happen. Such a nice looking cover!

1 Like

Wanted to see this one for ages. I tried to record it but only got 2 mins!!

There is now also a Scandinavian blu-ray. It has english audio and Scandinavian subtitles.

https://www.discshop.fi/elokuvat/bluray/today_we_kill_tomorrow_we_die_blu_ray/P127099

1 Like

I just ordered it. Does anybody else have it yet? How’s the quality?

Did anyone ever purchase this release? I am wondering how it is as I was considering buying it.

Decent release :+1:t2:

1 Like