Three Silver Dollars / … Dai nemici mi guardo io! (Mario Amendola, 1968)

Database entry:
https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Dai_nemici_mi_guardo_io!

I watched this last week and think I made no mention of it here on the board so far. When the main theme started repeating itself in my head over the last few days it functioned as a reminder to make a topic of it; so here it is.

This is an alright flick about a pistolero’s quest for a hidden pile of money. He gets a silver dollar from a dying army officer and needs to find two other dollars. All three dollars have clues on them on the whereabouts of said pile of money. Naturally a mean bastard of a gang leader has one of the other dollars. Thown in the mix is the pistolero’s Mexican sidekick who has plans of his own.
The film moves along in a predictable way, but it’s a fun watch nevertheless. Nice characters and a laidback atmosphere because of the smooth and catchy score.

I’ve watched the German dvd, of which it is stated in the database that the picture quality is atrocious. I don’t agree. Sure it ain’t great, but it’s very watchable and widescreen too. And definitely not as bad as some other German dvd’s I have.

Three Silver Dollars - a very cheap and tacky film with the worst quicksand I’ve ever seen.
Lorenzo Robledo doesn’t last long again (altho’ you don’t see him actually killed - it happens either offscreen or in a cut?). And Charles Southwood actually says summat like “What’s a beautiful girl like you doin’ in a place like this?” at one point, so originality is not high on the list … but even so, despite it’s almost lightweight buddy-ish tone between the two main male characters, it delivered something pleasing and entertaining and had a good female lead (?) and tried to be a bit twisty-turny towards the end. 3 outa 5 for entertainment (on a good day).

That’s a bit I wrote a few days ago in ‘last western …’ thread … to add my two-penneth to the mix. I enjoyed it but I have got a high quality widescreen print of it tho’ :).

I remember enjoying this flic… Nothing great but good entertainment… and the German DVD really isn’t that bad !

Haha. I picked up on the same quote (what’s a nice girl like you doing in a place like this) too when I posted about this in the Last Western Watched thread as well. It was at about that moment when I came to consider this a trash classic (for me). Doesn’t the female lead just want to get back to her farm in Tennessee or something? It is a loopy film but I really enjoyed it. Ivano Staccioli has the most irrelevent role I can remember in a Spag. A true Red Herring.
And BL, I’m right with you. The music stuck in my head for days as well (and not in a bad way).
Like the Rev, I saw a pretty nice looking version. I much prefer Charles Southwood in this type of role rather than as a Russian noble or a joker named Sabbath.

I’m curious about this one now. I have it on my to watch pile, and i believe i also have the nice version. May have to make it the next watch.

I just watched this one.

There are a cpuple of points I liked about it, but in the end it was quite boring and too predictable. No one will be surprised about Hondo’s true intentions and everyone will know, the he is the unknown whistle blowe in the confessional.

But I liked Southwood in this one, although he wars one of the most unbelievable hats in SW-history.

It’s also nice to see a great Spanish landscape in a SW of that price class.

Watch this again yesterday.
It’s really very entertaining,although there is no surprise existent.

Maybe i didn’t planned that one of the dollars goes broken.
A loose sequel with the same tempo would have been interesting…
But only with a unbroken dollar :wink:

By the way ‘El Condor’ is a good aspirant to the ‘brutal character’ topic

The German and the Audiodubbed Version is cut, but not the Swedish VHS (VTC) copy.

Tom,

So what’s the running time of the uncut version and what’s missing from the shorter/censored one?

Hi,

I only know one of cut sceens but it`s probebly more!
25,43 into the film, a gundown of a man and a woman.

1. German DVD: 92,11 min
  2. Audiodubbed from Television: 92,33 min
  3. Swedish VHS Copy (VTC): 93,19 min (Pal)

Tom,

@ Tom
I’ve checked the runtime of the german VHS - 93’15 min.
It’s nearly identic with the swedish tape :slight_smile:

Enjoyed this one although it was packed full of crap dialogue and cliches. Never mind. The theme tune was catchy, the Almerian locations were comforting, the bad guy was gritty, the dialogue was shitty… oh yes, I already mentioned that. A good role for Southwood (despite his terrible hat) and, like RF states above, nice to see him in a straight lead role rather than as a cossack or whatnot.
Thought the ending was a bit of a let down but, on the whole, it was harmless, if uninspired fun.

Yeah, bad dialogue combined with dull voice acting… with the english version anyway.

Charles Southwood looks so young in this one. One of the few western scores I liked by the composer of this one. The story of the Three Dollars is an entertaining one. Southwood plays such a likeable character. Viewed the uncut swedish vhs version as mentioned above, as the fandub of the T.V print looks like it was encoded in the incorrect widescreen ratio to me.

zzzzzzzzzzz, couldn’t stay awake for this one! Might give another viewing sometime in 2012.

From that one I have a version from the German TV in Widescreen 1,85:1 with good picture quality.
Runtime is around 93 Minutes

I like that film. Very nice theme !!!

Lousy GBU clone in my opinion.

Minha resenha aqui:

Back to the roots with this one. Late night spaghetti western watching of German-dubbed dvd in dubious quality. Not altogether terrible but the aspect ratio didn’t stay the same all through the movie and there was some strange wobbly-effect which made some of the characters look as if they had bugs crawling under their skin :slight_smile: And some noticeable cuts were apparent.

The movie was ok actually. Nothing spectacular but it got the job done. Nice acting. Nice score. Nice scenes. The ending was somewhat anti-climatic though.

Would definitely buy if a nicer version popped up.

An okay movie of the Treasure hunt kind:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Three_Silver_Dollars_Review

Try this one!
https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Three_Silver_Dollars_Review

1 Like