Thompson 1880 (Guido Zurli, 1966)

No problem, you can’t remember all of your 4707 posts.

Yeah, it’s too long ago 

From the SWEDISH Cencors:
Showed in Swedish Theatres dubbed in English,

THOMPSON 1880

Originaltitel:
THOMPSON 1880

Regissör:
ZURLI, GUIDO

År och land:
1966 Italien Spanien

Distributör i Sverige:
SIVA-FILM

Beslut:
FrÄn 15 Är

Beslutsdatum:
1968-03-04

LĂ€ngd i tid:
1:24:25

Format:
Film Spelfilm Vidfilm FĂ€rgfilm

Antal klipp: (CUTS)

Klipptid och beskrivningar:

• Slutsparken av misshandeln mot den skĂ€ggige mannen
    (The last part of the beating (man with a beard))
  • Misshandeln av den försupne domaren
    (The Beating of the judge)
  • Misshandeln av Sheilas far
    (The Beating of Sheilas Father)

SkÄdespelare:

MARTIN, GEORGE
MITCHELL, GORDON
SANDRI, GIA
BODALO, JOSÉ
MULLER, PAUL
NANÀ, AICHÉ
STRANO, DINO

Granskningsnummer: 106569

That’s interesting.

I don’t agree with most here. This film, which has Demofilo Fidani attached as a consultant, promises a total b movie in the first 5 or 10 minutes. And it basically is. But is too quirky to just disqualify it as being merely that. The film shows a lot of quite original ideas and kept me entertained throughout. The characters are simple, yet effective. From the ass kicking girl to the drunken judge and of course our acrobatic weapon expert who doesn’t carry a gun, but mowes them all down in the end with his ridiculous invention. I also loved Gordon Mitchell’s character, who looks dirtier than ever, and portrays a good guy this time. The mafia theme throughout works quite well. It is perhaps some sort of commentary on the Italian situation, who knows. I also dig the ending, which is indeed different. Had me chuckle. It’s one for repeated viewing for me, as I enjoy the vibe that it oozes.

Stragne, I just read the last part of this thread cause it was the last one on my reply-list.

Mentioning the word quirky Bad Lieutenant is the word I should have mentioned, as yes I think it is. Sounds like you had alot of fun with the film like me anyway.

I think Gordo is always a safe bet. He makes every flick watchable. Remember his role as a gangste boss in that Django Sartana Fidani film?

Mitchell
yes I like the guy, something about him.

His magic smile?

Yes, his grin just about as he is going to kill you :wink: .

Like the one on the 3 Bullets for RIngo cover by Koch.

Just finished watching the Koch disc. It’s a decent one with some interesting moments. Mitchell’s appearance doesn’t advance the plot too much, but it was good seeing him once again. Although I couldn’t really indentify with Martin’s character, the machine -gun scene was easily the highlight of the film without being overly bloody or shown in graphic detail. Weird way to close the film with the scene of the museum inside the Pentagon. Very good score in the Morricone tradition. 6.5/10

Watch this one yesterday. I guess it is an average movie but still I liked to see Martin in a gymnastic kind of hero.

Watched this one recently!.. Well, this spagh failed to catch my interest, honestly, I found it kinda dull. I like George Martin, but his character in this film is not that interesting.Nice cameo from Gordon Mitchell, wished he would have stayed longer though! 2/5

Are there any longer versions of this on dvd? as the Koch release is 82 mins, Italian one is 81 mins, and the original running time is 89 mins.

I thought this was a pretty good spaghet, definitely a unique one. Starts off strong but meanders a bit towards averageness in the mid-section. The ending battle was kinda weak, although again definitely a unique spaghetti moment. The final scene at the modern-times US Pentagon was awkwardly out of place but still kinda fun.

Seem to be catching a lot of spaghettis with different styled fight scenes, this one with the rapid-cut fistfight which I can’t recall seeing done in any others.

Gordon Mitchell was also a highlight of the film for me.

I would probably place this in my alternative top spaghettis, but I don’t think it’d make the top 20 cut. Like Bad Lieutenant, I enjoyed the vibe of the film and can see it having plenty of rewatch value.

“Hi there, my name is Sheila”

[size=12pt]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Thompson_1880_Review_Scherpschutter[/size]

Have not seen this one yet, the nice review was a nice incentive to give a go.

Couldn’t help noticing that George Martin face on the poster looks a lot like George
Peppard

Nice little gem. Nothing spectacular but still quirky (that word came to my mind as a way to describe this movie and then I’ve noticed that it came to some other minds on this page too :slight_smile: ) and recommended. (You can see on the SWDB page a picture of that deadly cross between photo camera and coffee grinder to get the picture of movie’s quirkiness.)

Compared to Sapevano solo uccidere which I’ve watched back to back with this, this one fared a whole lot better.