This Man Can’t Die / I lunghi giorni dell’odio (Gianfranco Baldanello, 1968)

top sw? Really? I think this was just one crap b-western which has some memorable music.

THIS MAN CAN’T DIE 1970 GUY MADISON Lucienne Bridou

is a TOP SW in all departments cast, direction, script, music and maybe you saw a
different film or are just fixated on the 5 or 6 all time classic SW like Good Bad & Ugly.

As SW fans we need to sit down with eyes open, ears open and ready to APPRECIATE.

If we all do that then this film is one of the best SW and has remained in my memory
for a long time , with many memorable scenes.

GUY MADISON and LUCIENNE BRIDOU (a French beauty of few films) are outstanding.

I am rather surprised and dismayed at some of the “put downs” for many GREAT SWs
by posters who do not even mention the cast, the director, the writer or ANYTHING.
Such disparaging comments are extremely ignorant and uninformed according to fans.

What we should be putting down and voting as CR-*P are the tedious, boring,
true life dramas that are loved by twisted critics and seem to get underserved oscars
Rotten stuff like Citizen Kane, Some LIke it hot, Manhattan , Kramer v Kramer urgh…

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:22, topic:606”]is a TOP SW in all departments cast, direction, script, music and maybe you saw a
different film or are just fixated on the 5 or 6 all time classic SW like Good Bad & Ugly.[/quote]Yeah I saw this film and no I have no fixation for Leone or other classics. I appreciate many obscure spaghetti westerns with unique touch but I don’t think This man can’t die has any unique qualifications.

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:22, topic:606”]I am rather surprised and dismayed at some of the “put downs” for many GREAT SWs
by posters who do not even mention the cast, the director, the writer or ANYTHING.
Such disparaging comments are extremely ignorant and uninformed according to fans.[/quote]
I’m not sure what do you mean. We have the regular custom of including the link to our database when starting new topic about certain film. You can easily check cast there. Ok, there’s no link here but someone should add it.

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:22, topic:606”]What we should be putting down and voting as CR-*P are the tedious, boring,
true life dramas that are loved by twisted critics and seem to get underserved oscars
Rotten stuff like Citizen Kane, Some LIke it hot, Manhattan , Kramer v Kramer urgh…[/quote]Yeah I agree (though I love Some like it hot and Manhattan) but we are mainly discussing about sw’s here not about mainstream films so anyone should be free to say their opinion about any sw without getting labellized as spaghetti-hater.

That is perfectly Ok we cannot all be pleased at the same time by the same SWs ;D

My own preference and view is to be disposed and ready to like/love/appreciate and
a SW would need to be really “bad” and lacking in script, direction, cast and be loaded
with pathetic “comedy” eg (Hill and Spencer) for me to dismiss it and run it down.

I understand that there are links to cast, director etc but it would be more effective and
pleasing for posters to actually mention and discuss the actors/directors etc in the post.

Also we are flooded with so much extremely poor films/TV made AFTER 1984 that when
a film is from the 1950s/1960s/1970s we should already be giving it appreciation as
being from the GOLDEN ERA for films/Tv Series/Pop Music / Life in General. :o :slight_smile:

I’ve added the database link for this one now at the top of the thread to make it easier to refer to the films credits etc.

As for my opinion of the film…I enjoyed it but certainly not one of the best for me. A standard 3 star is all I would rate it. As I said earlier, it had a real U.S. TV western feel about it which I found quite nostalgic (maybe that’s why you love it so much Sartana Django) and the theme tune was good. So, worth a watch for sure, but unlikely to change anyone’s top 20 list.

It’s “ripped off Morricone” but older, from BULLETS DON’T ARGUE and also recycled in GET A COFFIN READY.

I think Guy Madison makes a good leading man and consider this a competently made, enjoyable little western - three points out of five.

Thank you Phil H I appreciate your linking and your valued opinion.

We all have different points of Appreciation for SWs and I love SWs whether they are
USA inspired like HANG EM HIGH 1968 or ITALY inspired like BULLET FOR THE GENERAL 67

I liked very much the GUY MADISON/Lucienne Bridou leading stars , the plot and music
but as you all said this film is NOT in the league of FISTFUL or GOOD BAD & UGLY.

Nevertheless I saw it , enjoyed it very much and gave it the score i did on merit FOR ME.

I liked this film too, Django Sartana. Despite the US TV western look Phil mentioned, it’s tough, violent and very unusual. Since you prefer your SWs mean and violent, you should definitely go for Baldanello’s BLACK JACK. I have the French Evidis disc, it’s fullscreen and not very good (but at least in color); there is a German release, also fullscreen, and I traced it some time ago on Amazon.de; don’t know if it’s still available. The title is something like ‘Auf den knie, Django’ (so once again they made a Django without a Django in sight).

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:28, topic:606”]Since you prefer your SWs mean and violent, you should definitely go for Baldanello’s BLACK JACK. I have the French Evidis disc, it’s fullscreen and not very good (but at least in color); there is a German release, also fullscreen, and I traced it some time ago on Amazon.de; don’t know if it’s still available. The title is something like ‘Auf den knie, Django’ (so once again they made a Django without a Django in sight).[/quote]I believe that the German release is the version with happy ending. That’s no good.

Didn’t know that. The french DVD certainly has no happy ending, but like I said image is fullscreen and it has only french audio.
I don’t know if there is a widescreen version available anywhere. I know there is an italian DVD, a special release only available at the kind of newspaper stands you find in Italian shopping streets; on the Italian forum from Gente di Rispetto people were complaining about the awful quality and missing scenes (so apparently it’s a version with a happy ending).

The german cinema release version (also on VHS) of Black Jack has a happy ending, but not the DVD. But the german DVD is nevertheless in a strange way cut at the end. The shorter VHS version contains, despite the earlier cutting, about 30 sec missing on the DVD.
We have to wait for a superior and uncut DVD.

Thank you Scherp and Stanton I appreciate your descriptions of what is available for that very good violent SW BLACK JACK. I think I have the German DVD but when I realised
it had only German audio I decided to only keep it for the lovely cover only ;D and wait for a better uncut widescreen with English or Italian Audio.

I am rather difficult to please ;D ::slight_smile: because I will NOT watch any film that is subtitled
or does NOT have either English or Italian Audio . That makes life a bit difficult but its
good for me as I want to watch with my eyes and hear with my ears hence DUBBED yes.

Finally as I explained any USA TV WESTERN look is great for me as I am a BIG FAN of
USA TV Westerns (see other thread) like VIRGINIAN, HIGH CHAPPARAL, MC CLOUD etc.

[quote=“Hud, post:26, topic:606”]It’s “ripped off Morricone” but older, from BULLETS DON’T ARGUE and also recycled in GET A COFFIN READY.

I think Guy Madison makes a good leading man and consider this a competently made, enjoyable little western - three points out of five.[/quote]
So what was the deal with recycling Morricone music in films he did not score? Was Morricone aware that his music was being used? Why use only one or two Morricone songs in a film that has a sountrack of it’s own. This discussed song from Bullets Don’t Argue can also be hears in some other films, along with “Indians” chase theme from same film.

This Man Can’t Die is OK film because of Madison (I like him more when he plays bounty hunters and other less clean-shaven characters like in this film), coherent script and good score. Not up to par with Black Jack but not as bad as 30 Winchester for El Diablo or Cry of the Wolf, either.

[quote=“Silver Wolf, post:33, topic:606”]So what was the deal with recycling Morricone music in films he did not score? Was Morricone aware that his music was being used? Why use only one or two Morricone songs in a film that has a sountrack of it’s own. This discussed song from Bullets Don’t Argue can also be hears in some other films, along with “Indians” chase theme from same film.

This Man Can’t Die is OK film because of Madison (I like him more when he plays bounty hunters and other less clean-shaven characters like in this film), coherent script and good score. Not up to par with Black Jack but not as bad as 30 Winchester for El Diablo or Cry of the Wolf, either.[/quote]

Sometimes music is used unofficially in a film of course.

Other times a composer may not have have composed the music to a specific film, but the filmakers have the permission from the publisher of the music to use it in their film.

LUCIENNE BRIDOU was a most attractive , intelligent and pleasing leading lady.

After having seen now the 4th out of Baldanello’s 6 SWs, I have to admit he had obviously no “eye” for westerns, his genre contributions could be made by anyone else.

The outstanding things in Black Jack are mostly screenplay ideas, and comparing it’s bleakness to This Man Can’t Die, it was probably Robert Woods again who was responsible for the outstanding elements in Black Jack. I always thought that Black Jack could have become one of the best SWs, if it was made by someone like Corbucci (imagine this!) or maybe Romolo Girolami (Guerrieri) or the El puro-Mulargia.

This Man Can’t Die itself is a standard SW with standard performances (Madison looks quite good and is convincing, except for the few seconds were acting was required), partly borrowed music, a funny (and surprising) wrestling scene and … well, all these and more was already said in all the postings above which (mostly, with SD the usual exception) described the film very well.

Mildly entertaining.

THIS MAN CAN’T DIE 1968 GUY MADISON LUCIENNE BRIDOU

OUTSTANDING SW with strong revenge plot, top cast/music/director a real WINNER.
The exciting action packed plot is complemented by very potent leading performances
by Western Great GUY MADISON and French Leading Lady LUCIENNE BRIDOU.

This is a VERY HIGH QUALITY film in all departments worthy to be in any SW TOP 20. :slight_smile:

I strongly believe that if you are a “fan” of abysmal , pretentious, subtitled talky drama
and similar “true life” worthless Films then you CANNOT also be a fan of SW and in fact
we have so many mindless “reviews” of SW on this board where the poster is looking
only to be critical/negative and FAILS to hardly ever discuss ACTORS / LEADING LADIES.

BE POSITIVE LOOK TO APPRECIATE When you are watching a SW. :o

These irrational, unfounded, counter productive POOR Reviews of SW s are laughable
when you remember that even the “worst SW” is 100 TIMES BETTER than most
pseudo/pretentious/talky/boring drama loved by twisted critics & given ROTTEN oscars

??? :’(

You’re contradicting yourself, SD. If you “look to appreciate” you’re biased and NOT rational, founded and productive. This while Stanton’s opinions on the movie are rational, founded and productive. Of course in order to come to an opinion a certain view point is needed. You and Stanton obviously have different view points, but that does not make your opinion more valid than his.
Apart from this, you “looking to appreciate” spaghetti westerns does explain why you like Kid Vengeance and think Fidani is a top notch director. But you thinking that from your biased view point (looking to appreciate) does not even remotely make those opinions facts. And what do “pseudo/pretentious/talky/boring drama” have to do with anything here?
My two cetns on the movie: 6/10 Entertaining enough bt far from great and a nice theme song

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:38, topic:606”]You’re contradicting yourself, SD. If you “look to appreciate” you’re biased and NOT rational, founded and productive. This while Stanton’s opinions on the movie are rational, founded and productive. Of course in order to come to an opinion a certain view point is needed. You and Stanton obviously have different view points, but that does not make your opinion more valid than his.
Apart from this, you “looking to appreciate” spaghetti westerns does explain why you like Kid Vengeance and think Fidani is a top notch director. But you thinking that from your biased view point (looking to appreciate) does not even remotely make those opinions facts. And what do “pseudo/pretentious/talky/boring drama” have to do with anything here?
My two cetns on the movie: 6/10 Entertaining enough bt far from great and a nice theme song[/quote]

Bad Lt interesting your posting bearing in mind that we have also DISAGREED 100%
when I correctly pointed out to you that if you DO NOT understand the language or
what the actors are saying then your whole basis for “reviewing/judging” is FAULTY.

You say Stanton’s opinions are “rational/founded/productive” but again that is WRONG
because as you can VERIFY Stanton almost NEVER even mentions/praises any FEMALE
Leading Lady, Stanton has posted he dislikes ACTORS and has a fetish for DIRECTORS.

That is a basis for totally irrational/unfounded/unproductive and BIASED SW Reviews.

SD on the other hand has always kept an OPEN MIND liking ACTORS/Directors while
being READY TO APPRECIATE instead of Ready to Condemn/Find Fault.
I have been critical of many SW and NON SW, despite my willingness to Like.
I also mention the “pseudo Non intellectual boring dramas” with subs because the
people who MALIGN SWs/GIALLOS etc are always praising these lurid/boring dramas.

Nobody’s opinion is a “fact” bad Lt I agree but I think my opinions are MORE PRO SW :slight_smile:

SD, I have never said I disliked actors. You are again assumíng, or you are not able to understand what I’m saying.

I’m more interested in directors, because they are or should be the creative forces behind films.

I like many actors, and there are many films I only watch because there are fascinating actors/actresses in them.
But I have to admit that the acting in SWs in general is not that good, if it were only for the acting I would clearly prefer the american ones.