Thematic devices - The Pocket Watch

The pocket watch - well two actually - was a major device used in For A Few Dollars More, and they pop up regularly within the genre. I sometimes feel that these appear as a deliberate reference/homage to the former film. In FAFDM, Manco becomes the mediator between El Indio and Col. Mortimer and the watches are seen physically ‘between them’ in these two iconic scenes.

The watches are incredibly important - and all three characters become embroiled in the quest to recover or own ‘the girl with no name’ (Mortimer’s sister, and her image inside one of the watches).
As we can see, Manco has the least emotional ‘investment’ - and uses the second watch, which he has ‘borrowed’ from Mortimer - [top image].
El Indio has the fetishistic object of his dreams - literally, when we see him smoke a reefer and disappear into the inner mechanisations (clockwork) of his brain. His trauma/impotence is relayed to us via these flashbacks - and we eventually see that Mortimer’s sister has chosen to impregnate herself with a bullet, at the moment of her being raped by him.
Col. Mortimer has the second watch. He stares into it when Manco asks the older man if he was ever young, once? The col. replies that he was “… just as reckless as you. Then one day something happened to me - made life very precious to me.” The film immediately jumps to the scene of El Indio looking at the other watch. Whereas El Indio has internalised his trauma and only the watch is an outward sign of it, Mortimer’s whole image has grown outwards from the watch. The watch is on a chain, the chain on a waistcoat, and the waistcoat worn under a long black coat. If, as we may have noticed earlier, he was mistaken for a preacher, we might now think that he is a man in mourning.

FAFDM is my favorite spaghetti Western, as it is with plenty of others here. The device of the using watches to link these three characters is nothing short of genius, and it is not surprising that, as an object, it would appear deliberately (or indeed accidently) in following films of the genre. It may be used ‘playfully’ or as mentioned, as homage. It has been adapted as well - the clockwork motif has ‘evolved’ into the musical box, or as a ballerina, as well in at least 3 films that I can think of.
Clockwork/pocket watches … then chaps. Accident or design? Films and thoughts?

(This thread was born from watching Stagecoach of the Condemned which had a watchseller salesman who had his wares shot, so as to show off Fernando Sancho’s Sartana character’s shooting skills. Lordradish recently reviewed A Barrelful of Dollars and also referred to the pocket watch … may I quote you here Lordradish…? “Fidani loves those pocket watches, ever since he saw For A Few Dollars More, as he seems to put them in a lot of his films.” ).
http://fistfulofpasta.com/index.php?go=reviews/barrel

[Next installment - Thematic devices - The Umbrella ;D]

Enjoyed your comments very much, Rev! Bravo!

Wanted to add that Fernando Sancho’s character in ARIZONA COLT also has a musical pocket watch…an oversize one, at that.
And his character’s name is Gordo Watch (which means big/fat watch!).

[quote=“Chris_Casey, post:2, topic:2144”]Wanted to add that Fernando Sancho’s character in ARIZONA COLT also has a musical pocket watch…an oversize one, at that.
And his character’s name is Gordo Watch (which means big/fat watch!).[/quote]
Thanks Chris - interesting … indeed, I saw this recently and forgot (or didn’t notice :-[) - wouldn’t have got the Gordo bit tho’.

Found this bit from a review I did (and forgot about) of Thunder Over El Paso

“7 minutes in and we’ve got a gang of Mexican banditos led by a crusty ol’ dog with a pocket watch for a best friend, robbing a bank. Still looking highly promising, you have to agree?”

“And there’s more ‘homage’ besides this. There’s a barber’s chair scenario; the afore-mentioned pocket-watch (couldn’t bring on a red-hazed flashback, could it? … Oh yes it could …);”

God! I wrote some bollocks back in the day…

But I’m still interested in how many films pay homage (or according to the If You Meet Sartana Pray For Your Death thread, steal or show a lack of originality) by including this motif.
So - I revisited IYMSPFYD a couple of nights ago and the musical pocket watch is there… as ‘homage’ (in my book).
I also coincidentally dug out A Barrel Full of Dollars last night (but as enjoyable as it was, I still need to watch the final half hour). I picked this pretty much at random, forgetting it has been mentioned briefly in this thread. The musical pocket watch is pretty central to the quest for revenge in this - so even more ‘homage’ here.

I’ve given this thread a bump - partly because of 2 films in 2 days having the motif, but I’m also interested in compiling a list (and hoping you’ll chip in with your thoughts… and additions as you see fit). But also because the thematic approach to some of the recurring motifs in spags is interesting I reckon.

So - a lack of originality :-\ or homage :-* ?

The list so far…

For a Few Dollars More
A Barrel Full of Dollars
If You Meet Sartana Pray for Your Death
Thunder Over El Paso
Arizona Colt
I’ll Forgive You Before I Kill You (Stagecoach of the Condemned)

The Bravados (1958)

Ahh! Interesting. I haven’t seen this but it sounds like a good 'un. Imdb has it as being “referenced” in FAFDM.
Do you think it maybe where Leone got the idea from? Lee’s in both of 'em as well…

According to Hughes: Yes on both. Though he saw Lee in Ride Lonesome prior to The Bravados.

quote=“Reverend Danite, post:5, topic:2144” I’m also interested in compiling a list (and hoping you’ll chip in with your thoughts… and additions as you see fit). But also because the thematic approach to some of the recurring motifs in spags is interesting I reckon.
(—)
The list so far…

For a Few Dollars More
A Barrel Full of Dollars
If You Meet Sartana Pray for Your Death
Thunder Over El Paso
Arizona Colt
I’ll Forgive You Before I Kill You (Stagecoach of the Condemned)[/quote]

Another one is Shotgun a.k.a. Vengeance Is My Forgiveness.