The Wild Bunch - soundtrack

Is there any fan projects with the sound corrected for the WIld Bunch? I have the DVD version available in the Peckinpah box set and I am positive the gunfire sounded much better when I watched it on VHS. Is it just me or does anyone else agree the 5.1 mix doesn’t do this film justice?

I’ve watched the ‘Wild Bunch’ on Bluray, several times, with the 5.1. Each time I watch it, I keep wishing that the sound was more immersive, and louder…especially in the shoot-out scenes. However, we need to remember that the film was probably originally made with mono sound…so, perhaps, this is the best version to expect?

I just had a listen to the VHS to see if I was right. The sound is so much better.

From TWB 70 mm prints were made (despite being shot on 35 mm), and these had a stereo audio track. But apart from that the film was shown in mono.

I never heard so far any of the usual 5.1. tracks for mono films about TWB, but they should have added the mono track, or this stereo track.
I remember a theatrical screening for which the film was announced with a stereo track, and the host of the cinema was wondering about that.

Not sure whether my VHS is mono or stereo but it’s far superior to the sound of the DVD. It’s actually quite a recent tape of the director’s cut in widescreen. The shootouts are very loud in comparison to the DVD. The DVD sounds terrible to my ears since I was so used to watching the film with loud gunfire.