The Wild Bunch (Sam Peckinpah, 1969)

And given away free in newspapers here a while ago.

The european DVDs are all fullscreen! So beware.

Yes, excellent film, probably #6 …

I’m a bit surprised by Stanton’s praise for Osterman
Don’t know many people who like the movie, but I’ll give it another chance
I read the book, along with a handful of other Ludlum novels, and thought it was one of his more enjoyable ones
Not a great novel, of course, but a straightforward, readable thriller

The Killer Elite isn’t great, but at least has a certain Peckinpah feel
I missed that in Osterman, thought it was a rather indifferent movie

Convoy is a different thing.

I always liked Convoy very much since I saw it 1st in Cinema. Convoy is an often brillant film, and it’s a typical Peckinpah, all the themes and cosntellations are there. But it isn’t a bloody film, sort of The Wild Bunch light.

When I started reading about film, all I got here in Germany about Convoy was favourable, it was praised as a very well made road movie, so I was surprised when I started reading english books that the film was bashed there nearly without exception.

Of course the commercial elements like several car stunts or the partly primitive humour, provide the film with some weaker elements. And Ali MacGraw’s role is,… well it’s a western typical love interest role which also could have been skipped. Without these it would have been a better film, but it also wouldn’t have been a commercial success.

But overall it’s a great film with a wonderful filmed end, two ends to be precise. And it was somewhat fitting that this film ends with a laughter, like The Wild Buch 10 years earlier. Even the happy end seemed not to be out of place.

I saw convoy again recently, it had been 20 years or more since the first time I saw it.
I remembered it as a good film, but then again I was only a kid the first time I saw it.
On my second viewing however i realised how naive the film is.
It is the usual plot with the “good guys” versus the greedy and the corrupt, and of course with a lot of postulated racism tossed in the mix.
The film is just another political correct film, nothing more, and nothing less.

[quote=“scherpschutter”]No kidding, but is there any Peckinpah film you don’t like?

I have seen Convoy only once, on TV
When the film was released in cinemas, it was pulvarized by critics and I had lost my appetite for Peckinpah a little so I didn’t bother
Cable Hogue was the last Peckinpah I had really loved; I didn’t even like Straw Dogs or Alfredo Garcia then (I have more positive ideas about them today)

I do agree with you that Peckinpah is too often identified with blood and gore
But I do like the non-violent Cable Hogue and Junior Bonner, so for me this is not really an issue
I remember preciously little about Convoy and I don’t know if it will be easy to give that film a fair chance. Has it been released on DVD ? As far as I know the film is hardly ever shown on TV; I must have seen it some fifteen years ago (I think on the BBC) and don’t remember any showwings since.[/quote]

Funny, but as I said, Convoy got good reviews (at least the few I’ve read) and is permanently on german TV.
The german DVD from Kinowelt is meanwhile very cheap. It’s uncut and is (or was) considered as the best Convoy DVD release worldwide.

And Peckinpah films, ha ha, yes, I like them all. He had enough talent that even a film he made completely drunk and without ambitions had enough good moments to be considered as good.
As person he was probably an asshole. Not my problem.

Two masterpieces at least, and none of his films is completely flawless, but the powerful scenes and his sense for lyrical moods blow away every objection. At least mine.
And all of his films get better when watching them a 2nd or 3rd time, cause there is always something to discover. Even his compromise films have a secret which carries them beyond the end credits.

You only can understand his films when you “feel” them. And I feel them deeply.

I’m a big Peckinpah fan, But Convoy does not apeal to me though.

[quote=“Dorado, post:65, topic:358”]I saw convoy again recently, it had been 20 years or more since the first time I saw it.
I remembered it as a good film, but then again I was only a kid the first time I saw it.
On my second viewing however i realised how naive the film is.
It is the usual plot with the “good guys” versus the greedy and the corrupt, and of course with a lot of postulated racism tossed in the mix.
The film is just another political correct film, nothing more, and nothing less.[/quote]

Yeah, Peckinpah light, as I said.

More commercial, more simple, entertainment, but it works.

I wouldn’t call it PC, it remains the film of an outsider.

Ok, but aren’t there many brillantly directed scenes in the film?

I would buy the film alone for the sequence when Kristofferson attacks stubborn and full of death desire with his truck the bridge with the tank.

SAM PECKINPAH as DIRECTOR ANALYSIS Of His Film Work : MY OPINIONS

FILM TITLE YEAR COMMENT VOTES OUT OF 20

Deadly Companions 1961 Fair Western adventure, standard plot. 9 out of 20

Ride The High Country 1962 Friendship/Passing Of Old West Drama. 8 out of 20

Major Dundee 1965 Well made fair cavalry saga, good cast. 11 out of 20

Wild Bunch 1969 Overlong, violent, symbolic western. 10 out of 20

Ballad Of Cable Hogue 1970 Harmless Western Comedy, nice cast. 8 out of 20

STRAW DOGS 1971 Exciting, sadistic, violent adventure. 12 out of 20

Junior Bonner 1972 Patchy, tiresome rodeo yarn. 7 out of 20

Getaway 1972 Gangster saga with McQueen & McGraw. 7 out of 20

Pat Garrett & Billy Kid 1973 Buddy/friendship, old west tale, fair. 8 out of 20

Bring Head Of A.Garcia 1974 Mexican set low life, sleazy yarn. 8 out of 20

Killer Elite 1975 Second rate cast in tolerable spy flick. 7 out of 20

Cross Of Iron 1977 War film with excellent Maximilian Schell. 9 out of 20

Convoy 1978 Drama of fighting truckers is Ok. 8 out of 20

Osterman Weekend 1983 Good Rutger Hauer in Cia/Spy film. 9 out of 20

Sam Peckinpah Output is 14 Films made in 22 years. BEST FILM STRAW DOGS 1971.

Sam Peckinpah TV SERIES WORK in Rifleman/Broken Arrow/Gunsmoke 15 out of 20

STRAW DOGS 1971 Susan George (Excellent) and Dustin Hoffman (Tolerable)

Has someone recently had a look at the poll above?

Haha there is suddenly a “not explainable”, amazing trend towards 1 point votes.

Ha ha , wonderful.

What do you think about this, SD/IM60? Any explanations?

People DO read these boards and are INFLUENCED by facts/opinions given.
I am sure certain “feminists” groups would be very upset at NO LEADING LADY at all in

WILD BUNCH 1969

And the suggestion that a “few Mexican whores” can fill in for that alarming omission :’(
As I said I DO enjoy this Wild Bunch 69 film but it has serious faults/omissions.
You should be ASKING instead WHO and WHY voted for the 5 out of 5 ?? ???

SAM PECKINPAH as a WRITER :

VILLA RIDES 1968 Exciting Mexican Revolution story with Good Cast. 14 out 20

STRAW DOGS 1971 Brutal, sadistic violent rape/revenger set in UK. 14.5 out 20

NEVER say that I simply criticise Sam for his films and TV Series.

That’s a possibility, but there are other explanations.

Oh, come on SD, YOU do have another explanation, do you?

Remember a month ago the discussion about Take a Hard Ride?

Look here.
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,382.0.html

Another voting “miracle”! There was only one 5 point then, but now …

Any explanations for this? More “feminists”?

Wild Bunch 1969 Does Benefit from a solid Robert Ryan Performance.

Associated with this topic I can only say that multi national companies spend BILLIONS
on advertising/marketing/persuading people to BUY or CHOOSE products.

I on a much smaller scale EXPECT to persuade/influence/sway people on/off forums
with my passionate facts/opinions/analysis/exposes and I would be very disappointed
if I did not get the results that my postings clearly deserve. :slight_smile:

BACK to the topic of WILD BUNCH 1969 :

I find that films lasting over 2 hours are often “padded out” with superflous scenes to
fill the time. In the Wild Bunch 1969 's case the most exciting action is at start & finish.

SD: I think it is just not your movie :wink:

Sorry but IMO The Wild Bunch is great! The Walk is one of the best scenes ever. :slight_smile:

[quote=“stanton, post:73, topic:358”]That’s a possibility, but there othe explanations.

Oh, come on SD, YOU do have another explanation, do you?

Remember a month ago the discussion about Take a Hard Ride?

Look here.
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,382.0.html

Another voting “miracle”! There was only one 5 point then, but now …

Any explanations for this? More “feminists”?[/quote]

lol! go figure… no wait don’t bother… LOL!

[quote=“Paco Roman, post:75, topic:358”]SD: I think it is just not your movie :wink:

Sorry but IMO The Wild Bunch is great! The Walk is one of the best scenes ever. :)[/quote]

100% with you on both points - SD this movie isn’t for you - you need women in it to feel secure and the Walk is one the best scenes in motion picture history.

[quote=“IMMORTAL 1960s, post:74, topic:358”]I find that films lasting over 2 hours are often “padded out” with superflous scenes to
fill the time. In the Wild Bunch 1969 's case the most exciting action is at start & finish.[/quote]

Saying that there are superfluous scenes is the same as saying: I don’t understand this film.

But this game is not about understanding, SD, it’s a game about voting “miracles”.

Are you a feminist SD?

Or do you think that Cowgirly is a feminist?

But Cowgirly is not even a girl, or is she?

I have said my piece on Wild Bunch 1969 and “feminists”.

We have all seen who is macho and passionate about GIRLS and who is not :’(
Regards voting I urge ALL: vote if you feel the urge to do so , thats what polls are for
:o

[quote=“IMMORTAL 1960s, post:72, topic:358”]People DO read these boards and are INFLUENCED by facts/opinions given.
I am sure certain “feminists” groups would be very upset at NO LEADING LADY at all in

WILD BUNCH 1969

And the suggestion that a “few Mexican whores” can fill in for that alarming omission :’(
As I said I DO enjoy this Wild Bunch 69 film but it has serious faults/omissions.
You should be ASKING instead WHO and WHY voted for the 5 out of 5 ?? ???

SAM PECKINPAH as a WRITER :

VILLA RIDES 1968 Exciting Mexican Revolution story with Good Cast. 14 out 20

STRAW DOGS 1971 Brutal, sadistic violent rape/revenger set in UK. 14.5 out 20

NEVER say that I simply criticise Sam for his films and TV Series.[/quote]

Never seen The Wild Bunch so can’t really comment on the film itself, but a lack of leading ladies has certainly never bothered me any :smiley: Don’t really have much time for most “feminist” ideals either.