The Ward

(TheBigSmokedown) #1

John Carpenter’s first proper film in ten years is The Ward, starring everybody’s favourite lesbian, Amber Heard. I was talking to a friend recently about Carpenter and we agreed he has to be one of the most gifted filmmakers not to have received full-on critical acclaim outside of film geek circles. He’s made some bad films as well, but when you consider the quality of his output and how much involvement he has as a director, it’s sort of infuriating that he doesn’t get more acknowledgement.

Anyway, I’m curious to see whether The Ward will be better than Shutter Island. I’m willing to bet I will enjoy it a bit more at least.

Trailerhttp://“http://player.t5m.com/flvplay2351.swf?autoplay=0&autoload=0&video_id=01z13z9tx2qxu0”.

(ENNIOO) #2

About time, I am in a bit of state of shock.

(I love you M.E. Kay) #3

As far as I’m concerned, John Carpenter is a master (and not just of horror) filmmaker. Scorsese got me interested in movies, but Carpenter made me a fan, without him my adventure through the world of cinema would have been very different. Here’s hoping for a successful comeback and for The Ward to make it to the movie theaters in Québec (what kind of release will it get?).

(John Welles) #4

I’m kind of surprised and happy at the same time; I’ve never heard of this before. When’s it due for release?

(korano) #5

Hope it isn’t a shitty limited release or straight to video, worse yet. Monte Hellman’s recent Road to Nowhere is getting this treatment so far.

(John Welles) #6

Monte Hellman’s had a new film out!?! God, I am really behind the times.

(korano) #7

It;s the type of film you would only find if you were looking for it.

(TheBigSmokedown) #8

It doesn’t have a US distributor yet, but it’s due for release in the UK on 21 January 2011.

I would be surprised if it is straight to DVD, since Amber Heard is quite a well known actress. The reviews so far are fairly positive as well.

(Frank Talby) #9

So sad how quality film directors like Carpenter and Romero get limited releases on their movies. I would love to see this one from Carpenter.

(John Welles) #10

Judging from the activity on its IMDb board and its trailer getting onto the home page, I don’t think it’s going to go the way Monte Hellman’s last movie did.

(John Welles) #11

Apparently, according to Wikipedia (not the most relibable of sources, true), Road to Nowhere will appear at the Venice Film Festival, so there’s hope for it yet.