The Ugly Ones / The Bounty Killer / El precio de un hombre (Eugenio Martín, 1966)

Yea, I know :wink:

He’s quite OK.

Is this the same one that’s aka The Ugly Ones. UO is on my to watch list.

I think so.

Yep

1 Like

:wink:

Some Dollars for Django was in fact directed without credit by Enzo G. Castellari. And is a quite average film by the way.

Haven’t seen the MacKenna one, but it is on my search list.

Challenge Of The MacKennas is one I like.

That’s why it is on my search list …

Only available version I found was a DVDr from Cine City, which is rather expensive. I got a Swedish VHS.

I will trade it in the next months

oh, that’s deviant. But yeah, it’s a good film. Probably his best.

Would like to watch his Horror films.

Does anyone know what the SPO DVD is like? I’ve looked everywhere and can’t find any info about it. Is it better or different than the German DVD?

I have the SPO DVD but it’s been several years since I’ve watched it. I don’t think it’s anamorphic but otherwise the PQ is fine. If memory serves, the English track is rather muted.

I may put this excellent film on the top of my rewatch list.

I watched The Bounty Killer on the budget DVD set “Spaghetti Western Bible Presents The Fast, The Saved & The Damned” & the English audio was fine, umuffled, to my ears. Widescreen image was pretty good too, much better than I’m used to seeing on these budget discs. (Some of the other films on here are awful though).

I thought it was a terrific little low budget gem. A strong sense of tension is created and maintained throughout the majority of the film, which is quite an accomplishment.

People have complained a lot about Wyler, but I have no problem with his acting. Some of the ‘tough law and order’ obnoxious speeches he had to deliver were very annoying (and very much a throw back to 1940s American westerns), but the actor didn’t write them. Actually I can’t envision Lee Van Cleef making those speeches with any conviction. Of course the audience is not supposed to like Wyler in the first part of the film.

I actually prefer this sort of tense, moody film to the big expensive explosion, machine gun filled movies.

It reminded me of a few early 60s hostage movies only better, with less hysteria and overacting.

Glad you enjoyed this one Mortimer. It’s a favourite of mine. Great score too.

Phil, I agree about the score. Very nice.

Wanted to throw in a hat tip for your enjoyable review site. I see with both agree about the wonderful Cememtery Without Crosses. Wish Hossein had made more westerns!

Yeah this is one of my favourites, the movie just gets better and better as it goes on. I like Richard Wyler, I think he pulled it off well. Also love the score, so much variety in it.

Thanks Starblack btw, sounds similar to the German DVD.

Thanks Mortimer. Glad you enjoy the reviews.
And yes, CWC is a personal favourite for sure. Marvelous film and certainly a shame Hossein didn’t chance his arm in the genre again.

I really like films such as Bounty Killer and Cemetery Without Crosses, one’s which are unpredictable, and build up interest in the characters. It’s much more emotional when a character I have gotten to know is shot or tormented than seeing lots of generic Mexian soldiers being gunned down or blown up.

I’ve been thinking about Bounty Killer a lot recently. When the bounty hunter does not tell the sherrif who is assembling a posse where to find the bandit he seals his own fate as well as the fate of the people in the very small town. Another way he is very much of an anti-hero. Whereas Milian has a kind of charm in his early scenes in the film. Nice the way the director plays with the expectations of the audience. Plus the tension which builds as one knows a terrible fate awaits the people of the town but not when it will happen or what form it will take.

The other type of SWs that greatly interest me are the ones which are hyper-stylized or stylish. One reason I’m looking forward to seeing that Tinto Brass film. Feel free to throw some recommendations of lesser known films in these two categories my way.

Like most here what I dislike the most are the comedy SWs. PU.