The Tramplers / Gli uomini dal passo pesante (Albert Band / Mario Sequi, 1965)

I don’t think I have ever seen this, so I am looking foward to enjoying it in HD this year

2 Likes

Probably the spaghetti western I’ve seen that sounds most like an American western. I think this is because a lot of the dialogue is taken from Will Cook’s book and written in English rather than translated from Italian. The last half an hour or so seemed quite ‘bitty’ and jumped around a lot. The first half an hour was better. Too many subplots (the Hennessy Alice thing could have been removed with no narrative loss) and not enough of The Tramplers. Few other comments:

• I assume the director was Band. He is credited as director on the posters in several non-Italian jurisdictions including USA and France I think. So ‘Wileys’ seems to be a credit for quota purposes. Although mostly a producer, Band had directed a Hercules peplum intended for USTV in Italy with Gordon Scott just prior to this film. Assume therefore Tramplers was filmed in Summer or Autumn of 1965.
    • not sure how anyone ever thought this was filmed in Argentina. The Italian credits even fess up that this cattle herd footage is borrowed footage.
    • It wasn’t Scott’s last movie. He made two Eurospy movies after this in 1966 and then quit acting at the age of 40 for reasons that seem to remain unclear.
    •where does the 105m running time come from? The Wild East runs 97m and that’s NTSC and the European Pal DVDs are 93m.
1 Like

Next week from Plaion Pictures

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Uomini_dal_passo_pesante,_Gli/BluRay

Not from an existing version I think.

Most likely again from the former Anica.it website, where is was listed with 2826 meters, equivalent to 103 min. Maybe also from the book Il Western all’Italiana, which also features some runtimes differing from what we got as uncut on DVDs or Blus.