The Taste of Violence / Le Goût de la violence (Robert Hossein, 1961)

That’s correct, I sent Novecento already a PM

El Topo has delivered his review to the database:

[size=12pt]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Le_Goût_de_la_Violence_Review_(El_Topo)[/size]

(But this link doesn’t work)

Go to Main Page and pick up the review overthere

Thanks for the effort Sherp.

Very Happy to put my name (or nickname, maybe pseudonym or heteronym a la Fernando Pessoa, it sounds even better) in the forum database, even more with a such a good film.

The good thing about the SWDB its that its that kind of place that makes you feel not just at home, but also like if we were in a bar, coffe or tavern driking and talking with your friends, which is perfect for me.

That sounds like a good excuse to include it in a top 20 :wink:

Yup, I did the same.

Can’t wait to watch this. I am tempted to pull out my existing version in the mean time, but I don’t want to spoil the anticipation ;D

Very good review, I’ve never heard of this one before. It has to be quite good… ;D

Le goût de la violence un film de Robert Hossein - Lot 14 - sortie le 14 mars 2012

That was posted on the fifth at Dvdclassik. A Gaumont à la demande release.

Also, a bit late, but 'twas a great review, El Topo!

[quote=“I love you M.E. Kay, post:46, topic:1653”]That was posted on the fifth at Dvdclassik. A Gaumont à la demande release.

Also, a bit late, but 'twas a great review, El Topo![/quote]

Uau thanks I love you M.E. Kay, those are excellent news you brought us

About time! I hope it finally gets at least some of the recognition it deserves.

It was a real pleasure to be able finally to watch this properly.

This is really pure cinema. The camera, rather than the actors, does all the talking with actual dialogue (particularly in the second half) being kept to a minimum. It can’t have been that expensive, yet didn’t need to be either. I can only assume that Hossein’s background in the theater inspired him to make full use of the the distinct possibilities provided by cinema.

A beautiful film that is so simple on the surface, but with a real visual depth. If you like Cemetery without Crosses, then don’t hesitate to pick this one up. Let’s hope Gaumont does it proud!

Cemetery without Crosses is a favourite of mine, but The Taste of Violence is just average for me.

I’ve read both reviews and the praise echoes my own impression of Hossein’s later western CEMETERY WITHOUT CROSSES.

¿ Are there English subtitles or an English dub on the Gaumont disc LE GOUT DE LA VIOLENCE ?
¿ If not, are there any other DVD releases out there people should know about ?

After watching CEMETERY WITHOUT CROSSES for the first time the other day, I’m blown away by Hossein’s talent as a dramatist and a director. I’ve seen all the Angelique movies, too, and enjoy them, but he did not direct those.

I might start collecting all the films he directed.

Richard

Has it been released yet?
I looked Le Goût de la Violence up on Gaumont’s website and on amazonFr but do not find it listed in either place.
Does Gaumont include subtitles on their MOD’s, does anyone know?

Richard

[quote=“Richard–W, post:52, topic:1653”]Has it been released yet?
I looked Le Goût de la Violence up on Gaumont’s website and on amazonFr but do not find it listed in either place.
Does Gaumont include subtitles on their MOD’s, does anyone know?

Richard[/quote]

According to a Gaumont representative, it should be out on March the 14th if everything goes as planned. I have a couple of their on-demand releases, they only have French subs unfortunately. On the other hand, the film is available fansubbed on a certain torrent website and if you’re against torrenting, well you can always just get the disc and the fansubs and try something with your computer (making a DVD-R copy with added subs or just watching it on your monitor).

Hopefully, this upcoming release will trigger a new interest for Hossein flicks, so Gaumont release the other films of his they have.

Amazing film, really surprised me. After seeing almost 500 sw’s I didn’t expect much surpises anymore from the genre and then I find such a great film. Very similar to Cemetary Without Crosses in style. The silent moments, bleak atmosphere and good use of Andre Hossein’s melancholic music. I especially loved the last 30 minutes of the film, just pure perfect film making.
Not sure if I will count it as a spaghetti western though. But if I will it will probably end in my top20 favorites.

Out today!!

http://boutique.gaumont.fr/fr/produit_5_gauedito_104301.php

Does someone have the DVD now ? Is the quality good ?
1 or 2 Screenshots would be great ! ;D

[quote=“Italo-West-Fan, post:56, topic:1653”]Does someone have the DVD now ? Is the quality good ?
1 or 2 Screenshots would be great ! ;D[/quote]

Source with some other information about the film:
[i][url]http://monnomestpersonne1973.blogspot.fr/2012/03/le-gout-de-la-violence1960.html[/url][/i]

Thanks to JO for this great Spaghetti Western blog.

Thank you for the Screenshots ! :slight_smile:
Looks pretty good !

Ennioo’s previous thoughts sum this up for me.
Cemetery Without Crosses is also a favourite of mine, but I didn’t like this one so much.

It’s not that I thought it a poor film, it was beautifully shot and had some powerful moments. I can certainly see why others rate it so highly, but it was a bit slow and overly melodramatic at times for my tastes.
It’s very serious and moody in tone - and quite thought provoking. But unlike CWC, it but comes across as being a trifle ‘worthy’ at times and too self-conscious. Although I was never really bored, I was never really involved with the characters either, although Giovanna Ralli was magnificently silent (for the most part), on her slow and painful voyage of discovery.
And I thought the ending was pretty good in its anti-climatic way.

I didn’t expect a spaghetti, or indeed a ‘western’ (for all the obvious reasons)… but I missed the melancholy trumpets and wolf loop all the same. :wink:

Rev- where did you get this film? It sound’s very intriguing, but alas, as per usual, hard to find.