The Stranger’s Gundown / Django il bastardo (Sergio Garrone, 1969)

it looks like this one is a total minefield so ill avoid it and stick with VCI :’(

the_ugly - I would maybe watch ebay or Amazon for a seller to list the Argentina disc for cheaper, surely one will surface

Yeah, may do.

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Django_the_Bastard_DVD_Rezension

Hello, I am Brannon from RetroVision Entertainment. Being a big fan of both Django il Bastardo and Anthony Steffen, I figured it would be nice to release this film on its 45th anniversary in the United States and Canada. I’m honestly not intentionally trying to plug this release, I’m bringing the news to you all and I want to know what you would like to see on the release. Being that you’re all Spaghetti Western aficionados, I’ve come to the right place. I’ve been talking to a couple other fans and they have given me very helpful input into making the DVD.

Below are screenshots from the master we have used for the release, and cover art.

DVD Cover:

Snapshots from the RetroVision master:

The DVD has both English and Italian audio options, a trailer for the film, photo slideshow, and the alternate United States title card. That’s all so far, but I am open to suggestions for this release.

Any more Spaghetti westerns you are releasing in the future ?

We’re looking (in talks with rights holders) to release They Call Me Trinity and Trinity is Still My Name on Blu-Ray and DVD. Other than those two, we don’t have any other plans at this time.

Is DtB a region 0 disc, Mr. the Bastard? Will the Trinity films be multiregion/region free blus (assuming you secure the rights)?

Yes, all of our SW releases will be Region Free.

Excellent! Thank-you, sir. :slight_smile:

Looks promising! Is Django the Bastard going to be on Blu Ray too? I would like to see a cool menu screen personally, not just a montage of scenes from the film.

Sorry, no Blu-Ray. We don’t have an HD master for the film. As for the menu, you’ll like it. It’s not just a bunch of boring clips with text over-laying it. It has lots of elements that are sure to please.

Uncut?

I think only small handful of frames are cut because there are a few frames that jump due to age and one is usually skipped when this happens. This is fairly old print, but still holds up excellent. The film’s run time is 1:37:43.

I don’t recall any NTSC release being longer than that.

So… what happened? Any news?

If you look at Retrovision’s FB page, the screens have a different title card, different aspect ratio etc. Weird.

Hope they use the FB one, as the snapshots featured here, show it is heavily cropped.

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:216, topic:560”]If you look at Retrovision’s FB page, the screens have a different title card, different aspect ratio etc. Weird.

Hope they use the FB one, as the snapshots featured here, show it is heavily cropped.[/quote]
Those snapshots were from before any work was done to the master. We went back and fixed visual issues and have remastered the intro (we weren’t able to fix the film damage, sadly). Now, there are better colors, audio is fixed, and there’s a newly remastered English intro, along with the original Italian credits. Right now, no official release date is set because we want to make sure we can fix the issues that are within our reach of fixing.

Another situation was whether we would use the Italian credits in the master or just use the new remastered credits (w/ the “Stranger’s Gundown” title). Opinions?

As for the aspect ratio, it’s 2.35:1 anamophic. There has been no cropping applied to the master nor the scan. The shots on this site we presented without black bars. No “real” cropping was applied.

It’s still happening though, I assure you of that.

Tempted to say whatever gets it out the quickest but, in honesty, Django il Bastardo is preferable (to me, just IMHO) to The Stranger’s Gundown.

Excellent news. Rough, ballbark timeframe? I don’t want to put you on the spot, especially if you’re still making the release as good as you can make it, but: Still this Spring? Maybe later? Something for the Christmas Stocking? :slight_smile:

[quote=“last.caress, post:218, topic:560”]Tempted to say whatever gets it out the quickest but, in honesty, Django il Bastardo is preferable (to me, just IMHO) to The Stranger’s Gundown.

Excellent news. Rough, ballbark timeframe? I don’t want to put you on the spot, especially if you’re still making the release as good as you can make it, but: Still this Spring? Maybe later? Something for the Christmas Stocking? :)[/quote]

If not Spring, then Fall-time, probably. It’s a little hard to estimate because of some other titles we have acquired. But, Django the Bastard is our priority for being released. Nothing will be come before it. Right now, we’re finalizing our edits to the master and checking it for audio dropouts or sync issues. Thankfully, nothing of the sort has appeared.

Fair enough. Thank-you for responding! :slight_smile: