The Stranger Returns / Un uomo, un cavallo, una pistola (Luigi Vanzi, 1967)

It was that god damn Allen Klein. He even ripped off The Beatles. The guy was a bastard.

[url]http://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=3250301010a1dq4.jpg[/url]

The guy is in town again …

Great following to Stranger in Town only a tiny bit inferior to it. 4/5

Allen didn’t rip Tony off.
Tony and Allen are still very good friends.

Finally I was able to watch the sequel to A stranger in town and must say I liked the first Stranger film just a little bit more. For me, Frank Wolf is just the better villain. Vadis did a good job though… Somehow I liked the “Prophet” charakter and his unusual shotgun… Anthony is really growing into the Stranger charakter…

The movie contains a bunch of good and strange ideas but doesn’t take up some pace until the last thirty minutes or so… Great score by Cipriani !!!

What struck me is that Ettore Manni (Lieutenant Stafford) is really good and young looking while he’s a shadow of himself in his Fidani appearances only a few years later…

Ahahahaha, how can you not love a movie that opens up with our hero’s loyal horse (Pussy of course) flushing out game so he can shoot it. And that ‘pepperbox’ shotgun is pretty cool as well. Overall i think i prefer the first one ever-so-slightly. But still, that opening scene is sheer fucking brilliance. I can’t wait to see what happens in Japan.

I’m probably in the minority here but I liked this one alot better than the first (but I liked the first as well!) Better soundtrack, the preacher character was great, and a little quicker paced with the action, and more original in terms of plot. Plus I’m not a big fan of Frank Wolff. The sequel is Top 20 stuff for me.

Agreed !

I found time to watch this again last night - and it wasn’t quite as good as I remembered - sadly. The music was great, but two things got negatives this time whereas before I hadn’t seen as many sws, and a more contextual knowledge now showed up these points of negativity…
Firstly, although I still liked the film and enjoyed it, I felt it sailed a bit too close to parody that could almost be perceived (if you didn’t know TA better) on disrespect for the Dollars films. Secondly - I had forgotten Dan Vadis played the baddy headman, and once I realised this at the opening credits, I expected more from him. This was probably because if Tony plays a bit of a cartoon Clint in this, then I expected Danny-boy to be as good as he was in Deguello, which was over-the-top brilliant.
Usually I’m not so let down by my memories of spags - and some (El Puro) just get better each viewing - whereas I may have given this a four star rating previosly - this time it only gets a three. Still, for the most part it remains a goody, and although I generally prefer things a little grittier, TA does have a twinkle in his eye that enables him to pull off his type of sw, and its genre parodying humour, pretty well for the most part I guess.
3 out of 5, but still recommended viewing.

What’s the Vadis problem in this film Rev? I thought he was pretty good in this one too.

Hmmmm. Good question Stanton, and one I’ve been answering in my head this last day. I’ll try and spew out my reasoning on this.
It boils down to - I thought he was ok, but had the potential to be better. I expected more when I saw his name - but I understand now why I’d forgotten it was him after it’s first viewing many moons ago.
I’ll explain further…

I mentioned the ‘Dollars’ films in relation to this one - these had JMV playing such memorable adversaries in the forms of Ramon and El Indio. I also mentioned El Puro, that had Gypsy as a charismatic leader of a colourfully ‘deviant’ gang.
If we go more towards the parodic and exaggerated cool and somewhat cartoony corner of spaghettiland, (where this film points to) we have equally colourful villains - Sabata had Stengel, and Hilton’s Sartana had the marvellous Sabbath.
The land of spaghetti-nemesis is populated with characters such as Curly; Gordo ‘Watch’ and Tigrero - all equally as colourful as our ‘heroes’. Tony Anthony, himself, has had better villains with Frank Wolff as Aquilla in his previous ‘Stranger’ film, and included two good ones with Domingo and Candy in Blindman.
Amongst this ‘hall of infamy’ I’m afraid Dan Vadis’ character is - well, just a bit ordinary (I can’t even remember his character’s name) - which is a real shame, because in Deguello (as I mentioned) he is allowed to be “over the top” and extraordinary, imo.
“Pretty good”, as you say - yep, ok; average; - nothing special, maybe - but, seing his name and having seen Deguello since I last saw The Stranger Returns, I just expected a bit more in this, hence my (minor, but real) disappointment.
Reckon that about covers it…? :wink:

Yes, it does.

Still I think that Vadis was in both very remarkable. And The Stranger Returns is generally preferable to Deguello, and it’s also nearly impossible for me to say if this one is better than the first Stranger or not. A tie in quality terms.

In my opinion this one is way better than the first. Far more entertaining and working more on a parody level. The only thing I liked about the first one was Frank Wolff. This one has much more to offer. Some typical spaghetti western scenes that are a lot of fun. Love it when the stranger holds a guy that´s eating at gunpoint. Here the villain is also good. Vadis played it nicely. The way the stranger loses the gold, haha. Overall some nice entertainment, and that´s more than can be said of A Stranger in Town, that quite bored me.

Unfortunately there’s no release of this one available round here. Furthermore the German DVD of the first one is horrible, almost unwatchable.

I have the double DVD from (I think) Alpha Digital
Not very good, faded colours, zoomed image, but as far as I know uncut

I love the first one, but I understand why others don’t
The second one is imo an enjoyable farce, but no more than that

The image of my DVD is darker than dark. Normal scenes look like usual night scenes and the night scenes offer black shadows in front of a black backround.

Or a Kessler called it: Fight of the blacks in a tunnel.

The biggest problem with the German Starmedia DVD is that it lacks about 12 minutes. The best scenes. The worst DVD in the German market.

NEW Entertainment wanted to release the film (A Stranger in Town) uncut several years ago.
There are different NEW DVD’s (for example Bandios) with a Trailer for A Stranger in Town.
But it was then canceled. The image material was too bad.

There is a recent fandub of A Stranger in Town which uses the Japanese disc as source I believe.

Database comment:

The second Stranger film varies the given formula with a slightly bigger budget, after A Stranger in Town had become a surprise success in the USA. Director Vanzi and his star Tony Anthony had no problems to create again an enjoyable story of greed, double cross and violence presented with odd humour and taciturn dialogues. A well made sequel which reprises all the qualities of the original.

Second Stranger movie … new game … new fun.
Anthony is cool as ever. Casual, with good performance.
The story is somewhat larger than in the first film.
It is also spoken more. There are more people. Or we say, not all villagers are slaughtered in the first 15 minutes (as in the first film).
This is repeatedly made reference to the original. The soldiers. The villain which it fun to torture other people. The music when Anthony touched his hat.

All in all a good movie, who lives with the performance of Anthony and dies.
For there is no villain in the style of Frank Wolff. And that’s the weakness. Anthony plays all the other against the wall. There is no counterpart.

I must admit I am one of the greatest fans of the original. And so it is difficult for an unbiased opinion. The first part will always be my Favorite. This minimalist view was unmatched by any Western ever more.

The second part of the Stranger series is far from the class of the first. And I agree with Scherp, the successor film is more a traditional Western.

But it is good. Even very good. My rating 7 / 10.
Almost at the same level of Blindman. But even that could not top the original. I kept looking. Next week I watch at perhaps the third part (I have the DVD since half a year and still no time to watch it … I am ashamed).