The Spaghetti Westerns of Enzo G. Castellari

i believe the film i came i saw ishot nobody vote it because nobody see it
i see the trailer for it and i can say if re-released it will be one of the best films

No, it’s because it is a pretty lousy film.

I can’t stand it, especially the end where they’re all punching each other.

[quote=“chuck connors brother, post:43, topic:1334”]I can’t stand it, especially the end where they’re all punching each other.[/quote]i heard there many scenes with fistfights but the trailer shows only gunfights
that’s strange…

Maybe if they had shown all the fistfights in the trailer…nobody would want to see the film.

ha ha yea!

I recently wrote a review of it
It’s not such a bad movie, the first half is okay, but it goes nowhere

Castellari has done worse, but he has done a lot better too
I voted Johnny Hamlet, but Keoma and Any Gun can Play are good movies too.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:47, topic:1334”]I recently wrote a review of it
It’s not such a bad movie, the first half is okay, but it goes nowhere

Castellari has done worse, but he has done a lot better too
I voted Johnny Hamlet, but Keoma and Any Gun can Play are good movies too.[/quote]
if the film has non-stop action i will loved it, i hope it’s better than ‘kill them all and come back alone’

I voted for JOHNNY HAMLET as my favorite Castellari Western.
However, quickly behind JOHNNY HAMLET I would rank KEOMA and KILL THEM ALL AND COME BACK ALONE.
I am well-known for my dislike of the vocalizations in the music for KEOMA; but, apart from that…I think it is a great movie.
I also like ANY GUN CAN PLAY; but, it has too many lapses into the “humorous” for me to give it anything higher than a 3 (though the opening scene gets top marks in my book!).

Like Ennioo has said before, I prefer Enzo’s crime films to his Westerns. HIGH CRIME is a superb film, in my humble opinion, and I don’t think any of my amigo Enzo’s Westerns are quite on par with it.

[quote=“Chris_Casey, post:49, topic:1334”]I voted for JOHNNY HAMLET as my favorite Castellari Western.
However, quickly behind JOHNNY HAMLET I would rank KEOMA and KILL THEM ALL AND COME BACK ALONE.
I am well-known for my dislike of the vocalizations in the music for KEOMA; but, apart from that…I think it is a great movie.
I also like ANY GUN CAN PLAY; but, it has too many lapses into the “humorous” for me to give it anything higher than a 3 (though the opening scene gets top marks in my book!).

Like Ennioo has said before, I prefer Enzo’s crime films to his Westerns. HIGH CRIME is a superb film, in my humble opinion, and I don’t think any of my amigo Enzo’s Westerns are quite on par with it.[/quote]
i prefer johny hamlet in english
i miss gilbert roland voice

You didn’t like Kill Them All? That film has non-stop action.

Kill Them All is a bad ass flick. Hell, every Castellari western I’ve seen so far has been bad ass. Haven’t seen 'em all yet, but working my way through 'em.

Be interesting to see if you like some of his 70’s comedy style ones.

Working my way through his flicks now. Also checking out some of his other stuff. Recently watched The New Barbarians. Its total crap in a way, but it’s good crap. Still weirded out by the butt rape scene. I can’t look at George Eastman the same anymore. ;D ::slight_smile:

I saw Any Gun Can Play last night and thought it was great. I’m kind of surprised it doesn’t get a bit more love. Everyone sort of dismisses it, but it had plenty of stylish touches.

no i’am talking about ‘i came i saw i shot’

I’m going to defend Castellari (not that he needs it , he’s a big fucker !), hes an honest craftsman who began his spaghettis when the producers were desperate for people who knew how to make films…he (like a lot of others) put in the hard yards editing, running around for coffee etc. , I suppose the thing is Enzo is an artisan not a creative artist , which is all most of these films needed anyway. To me his action scenes in the early films look pretty good, he never really crossed the line as far as violence went in the westerns (although KEOMA has squibs aplenty), but he is’nt a sadistic or cruel director ( I think his most vicious scenes are in THE BIG RACKET his crime film , the scene of the woman being punched in the face and kicked between the legs (she is a bitch though !) Also to me he stands above directors like Mulagria, Crea , Baldanello despite not being fully engaged in his subject , he obviously spent many hours in screening rooms studying the techniques of directors like Peckinpah (before video i suppose this was how it was done , in KEOMA he imitates Pecks editing style without seemingly understanding the underlying reasons for it ) anyway i’m glad Castellari was around , he added some much needed class to films of the 60s +70s .

the only films of his i like was
payment in blood and johny hamlet