The Spaghetti Westerns of Enzo G. Castellari

Enzo Castellari is well liked by some because among other things, his films are fun and entertaining. Filled with very realistic stunts and later violently beautiful slow motion deaths in gunfights. My personal favorite of his is the great “Keoma”. Great all around. :slight_smile:

Ive only seen Keoma, but I loved it. Its an amazing film thats not only entertaining but deep and meaningful at the same time. It also gives you something to think about as well. It is easily the best spag Ive seen so far.

Castellari’s Street Law was the exact opposite though so that leads me to believe that like many Italian genre direcctors their work is very hit and miss. With that said I have Any Gun Can Play on the way and Kill Them All sound awesome so Ill want to see that sometime. Oh and Johnny Hamlet.

Johnny Hamlet for me.
Castellari’s work is hit and miss in as much as sometimes his films are all action and not much else. These are still fun but I like my spags with a bit more substance and style beyond endless punch ups and stunts. Johnny Hamlet is a quality film by anyone’s stamdards and definitely shows what Enzo was capable when he wanted to be a bit more creative.

I really want to see Johnny Hamlet.

A difficult choice between Johnny Hamlet and Keoma

Any Gun Can Play and Kill them All and come back Alone are okay action movies, the rest is mediocre or even less (a mess)

Haven’t seen Jonathan of the Bears, from what I’ve heard it’s a film for me

I never understood the love for Any Gun Can Play. I like KTAACBA, Johnny Hamlet and Keoma equally.

It’s Keoma for me, because here Castellari directed a milestone. The only late Italowestern I really like. And one of the best ever made. Johnny Hamlet is a wonderful movie, but Keoma is another league. Hamlet is really good, but too, maybe, normal. Keoma is over the edge, with it’s own mythology, just a masterpiece.

Keoma is one of the best Italowestern,thats because its the number one of Castellaris work,i think.But his western are all very entertaining,fast and straight - really good action western.After the lonesome peak ‘Keoma’ i like
2.Any gun can play
3.Some dollars for Django
4.Johnny Hamlet
5.Seven winchester for a massacre
6.Kill them all and come back alone
Even the two fun western cipolla colt and sting of the west are much better than a lot of bad pieces made the same time.
Jonathan and i came,i saw,i shot i have not seen,but i came,i saw,i shot i’m searching for.

I’m a fan of Castellari but not of Keoma. Not my cup of tea. Had to vote for Kill Them All and Come Back Alone. Someone’s got to stick up for this under-appreciated little spag. ;D

Kill Them All is a fun movie. Just that the holes in the plot are too big to overlook. It seems also to jump a bit in the beginning and logic ( although never the spaghettis strong point) is non existant. Why did Wolff join the group. Why did he and Connors start fighting? But still fun to watch with a good score.

Johnny Hamlet is my favourite so far.

I also went for Johnny Hamlet. Also very fond of Any Gun Can Play and 7 Winchesters For A Massacre. Not seen the others…except for Keoma many years ago on vhs. Had to give up about half way through. That singing was driving me crazy. May be time for another look at some point though…(with the volume off)

Im surprised by the Anti-Keoma posts. Its as Ive said befor the best spag Ive seen. It has a substance others simply lack.

It also has

• awful haircut
  • horrible music
  • terrible moments of soap-opera type cheese

Anyway, I went with Johnny Hamlet as well. Great writing ;D

My vote goes for Johnny Hamlet. One of the few movies which really surprised me. It’s more fun than Keoma.

I love this movie too, although I think its still a far cry from the Leone films, its still top 20 material for me.

At the same time I can understand some people hating it. The music obviously, but also the preachyness and the fact that Nero looks like he belongs in woodstock.

Not to mention he is not very convincing as a half breed Indian, with european accent and all.

Yes, his looks were a rather weird idea

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:16, topic:1334”]I love this movie too, although I think its still a far cry from the Leone films, its still top 20 material for me.

At the same time I can understand some people hating it. The music obviously, but also the preachyness and the fact that Nero looks like he belongs in woodstock.

Not to mention he is not very convincing as a half breed Indian, with european accent and all.[/quote]

I agree his accent doesnt work for the role, but other than that its great. I didnt find it preachy nor did I find his look that weird. The music is actually really good outside of the male vocals. And as for it being a far cry from Leones film, well I personally like it a whole lot more than Leones films.

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:14, topic:1334”]It also has

• awful haircut
  • horrible music
  • terrible moments of soap-opera type cheese

Anyway, I went with Johnny Hamlet as well. Great writing ;D[/quote]I noticed you showed some favor towards forgotten pistolero in it’s thread. The strongest arguement you make BL is the soap opera esque aspectsof Keoma but Forgotten pistolero is far more soap opera ish. And so what if Nero has a bad haircut. I understand the music is not for everyone but I liked it. Not trying to shit all over your opinion but I think you should try and make a stronger case. I say that because this is not some Fidani movie that you could make lists of how bad they are. It is Keoma. One of the best spaghetti westerns IMO. I respect your opinion but I ask you to please give more of a good arguement at why you didn’t like it because I think this one deserves better. No offense intended.

Yes I agree with you whole heartedly. But I am trying to play devils advocate here, and come up with some reasons why people might not like this film, regardless of whether you and I agree with those reasons or not.

Although Nero looks like a hippie, I don’t think this really detracts from the film. I did find it a little bit preachy however, it seemed they were trying too hard to “send a message”.

But I do think its a great film. Not just great for a SW, great for a Western period.