The Soap Opera Effect (Motion Smoothing)

Do you have this on when watching TV or Movies? I think it’s great for sports or documentarys but when it comes to movies it completely ruins the experience for me. I just had a glimpse at the Spaghs on Netflix on a TV where this setting is on (On a TV I normally don’t use), and I was just thinking “How can anyone watch a film like this?”

It makes these films look even cheaper then they already are!

3 Likes

It artificially inserts frames which were never meant to be there. The worst part is that the setting is on by default on some TV’s.
I remember even Tom Cruise told people to turn that shit off.

4 Likes

It was the default setting on every TV I own. The very first setting I “adjusted” was turning that crap off.

1 Like

all that stuff needs to be turned off or down. including “sharpening”, and all kinds of other shit. there is some tips and trick you can google. due to director pressue, some newer models now have “filmmaker mode”

2 Likes

The Sci Fi channel shows episodes of The Twilight Zone like this on their New Year’s Eve marathon, it’s super annoying. Makes the show look like a home movie.

Also called Auto Motion Plus or Picture Clarity on Samsung TVs. It is set by default on pretty much all modern TVs and is buried deeper in the menus than it should be. A movie will never look cinematic unless it’s turned off.

1 Like

some new TVs have ‘filmmaker mode’ which will turn it all off

2 Likes

The worst is when you go to other peoples homes and sit down to watch a movie and that s**t is on and they don’t even know what you’re talking about when you tell them. Can’t really just grab their remote and change their settings either so very annoying situation.

3 Likes