The Ranown Westerns (1957-1960)

Budd Boetticher directed five Westerns with Randolph Scott–The Tall T, Decision at Sundown, Buchanan Rides Alone, Ride Lonesome, and Comanche Station. They’re very good and fan-favorites. Opinions?

Amazon: Amazon.com

1 Like

I like them all very much. I do wish that the costume designer for Comanche Station would have had more sense to know that Comanches didn’t have Pawnee/Mohawk-style haircuts though!

I already have good DVDs with all of these films, so I don’t think I’ll be picking up the Criterion box. But I’m sure they’ll do a lovely job with the transfers

1 Like

I think it’s just the old Indicator ‘Five Tall Tales’ set repackaged. The Tall T is probably my favourite

1 Like

Boetticher/Scott is always great!

2 Likes

Actually 7 westerns, and their first one 7 Men from Now is usually viewed as part of the Ranown cycle, even if it was not produced by Brown. Too bad that again it was not possible to release all 6 together,

The 7th one Westbound (1959) is on the other hand only a minor b-picture, watchable, but nothing special. It also lacks the thematic connections of the others.

2 Likes

Oh! The Criterion just counts from The Tall T to Comanche Station. Westbound, being WB, would be a pain in the butt to include. Thanks for the info!

I have seen neither Seven Men From Now nor Westbound. I watched them on this Mill Creek thing. It included a mediocre one (A Lawless Street), though cleverly directed, was kinda ham-fisted.

s-l500

Good film! Highly recommend it

2 Likes

Yes, you should definitely check out Seven Men From Now, Pete.

1 Like

Yes, the name Ranown comes from the producers company, and stands for Randolph Scott and Harry Joe Brown. Brown produced also some earlier films with Scott, but but they don’t belong to the Ranown films.
But 7 Men from Now does (despite produced by John Wayne’s Batjac for Warner Bros), cause its a blue-print for the 5 films to follow, especially for the other 3 also written by Burt Kennedy.

2 Likes

These movies are mostly ok in my book, but really nothing special.

1 Like

On the McLintock! and Hondo DVDs it has a mega Batjac trailer with it on there.