The Pope

Well, it is a film with three dimensional characters, not a matter of course in most mainstream films.

This is the first place where I think I’ve met others who think Avatar is not the best film ever made (whew)… thank goodness.
Its just Pocahontas with a dash of Smurfs for measure.

The movies that are unknown to me, basically are in the ‘religion’ section. I’ve seen only of couple of these movies and the only one I really liked, was The Passion of Joan of Arc (thought Babette’s Feast was okay, but don’t remember it too well for some reason)

I have seen most movies of the other two sections, with the exception of The Burmese Harp and Napoleon.
I wonder why the Vatican likes The Lavender Hill Mob. Great film, but not too vaticanish, I’d say.

I agree Avatar is a well-made film, but on the whole, the whole concept looks sham and uninteresting to me. Also, my disliking the movie might have been entailed by the fact that I watched it with my father and brother. They liked it a lot, whilst I had mixed feelings about it. Perhaps I felt that way out of pure non-conformism or whatever. Anyway, I don’t like the film and I’d sooner watch Aliens or The Terminator. Any time, any day.

It really weird that they included Nazarin in “religion” section. It looked quite anticlerical to me.

I’m going to watch The Burmese Harp (1956) soon, but first of all I have to see Ichikawa’s Kokoro (1955). I’ll write what I think about it.

No Exorcist on the Vatican’s list?

haha… :smiley: You’d think they would love such an excellent propaganda film for the Catholic church

They would have it under their “Action” section :smiley:

I actually like BenHur and Ghandi, but I also enjoyed Avatar as well - they’re all huge epics that, for me anyway, have a lot of entertainment value; and Ben Kingsley is extraordinary as Ghandi.

Yes, but apart from that it is a terrible film. It contains much of the things I don’t like in films. 2/10

Avatar is ok, not great, but quite good. 6/10

Ben Hur is, well … apart from the exciting car chase it is more or less forgettable. 4/10

Haven’t seen Ghandi, so I can’t judge. I thought Ben Hur was quite alright, more good scenes than just the car chase, and Stephen Boyd was quite convincing. A lot of schmatz of course, especially near the end.

@Ben Hur is, well … apart from the exciting car chase it is more or less forgettable. 4/10

Not for me! Ben Hur in my view is a classical film, a true spectacle in every word with great performances from the leads.

BTW, there is no car chases in it ??? , but there is chariot chases instead. :D. 9/10

[size=12pt]DUDE, WHERE'S MY CAR!........[/size]
                                                    [img]http://i.imgur.com/k4lUJ01.gif[/img]

Oh yes, chariot … of course …

BTW, there is no car chases in it ??? , but there is chariot chases instead

Technically you’re right of course. By the way, both chariot and car have been derived from carrus. In Latin the type of chariots used in Ben Hur were called quadriga.

Apparently (according to the Free Online dictionary) car can also be used in the sense of chariot, but it’s called ‘archaic’:

car (kär)
n.

1. An automobile.
  2. A vehicle, such as a streetcar, that runs on rails: a railroad car.
  3. A boxlike enclosure for passengers and freight on a conveyance: an elevator car.
  4. The part of a balloon or airship that carries people and cargo.
  5. Archaic A chariot, carriage, or cart

Funny: in Dutch a chariot or quadriga is called strijdwagen (literally: battle car); the word ‘wagen’ is used, an archaic word for car (it’s still used as wagon, both in English and Dutch)

@car

Interesting information Sherps!

Btw, I know what Stanton meant, I was just trying to have some fun with it. :slight_smile:

It’s called “Wagenrennen” in Germany, and the word “Wagen” can be used for both, a car or a chariot.

Chariot would be “Streitwagen”, but that’s too long in combination with “Rennen”.