The Moment to Kill / Il momento di uccidere (Giuliano Carnimeo, 1968)

They should shot the girl in the end!

1 Like

[quote=ā€œelSanto, post:20, topic:1023ā€]I saw this one yesterday. I watched the german DVD of VPS/AVU. The aspect ratio was ~ 2,10:1 (not as cropped as the other DVDs on the market which are cut down to 1,85:1 I think). The picture quality was kind of low average VHS-quality however I have seen worse ones. The location of the picture on the sceen is displaced to the top, the is one narrow bar on the top of the screen and one huge bar on the bottom. This could be kind of annoying but I mask my screen with a custom-built mask anyway so it did not bother me :). The DVD has undergone 4 violence-related cuts and the end-titles are missing which is a shame cos the score of Francesco de Masi and the song ā€œWalk by my sideā€ are great.

The film itsself was entertaining and mainly the shootout at the end was well-made. If there wasnā€™t the awfull comedy-like german dubbing, the cuts and the cropped aspect ratio I would maybee rank it alittle bit higher.

3/5[/quote]

Yes, the comedy-like German dubbing is horrible. But this is a common problem with the German Synchro. Unfortunately, the German DVD is no Italian or English audio and no subtitles.

The film is very dark, but in the German version, talked and talked and talked ā€¦

Otherwise, I can recommend the film. Some good ideas and unexpected twists.

teşekkĆ¼rler

Yes I agree! Thanks for sharing your great insight! Welcome to the forum you moron!

I think teşekkĆ¼rler means thanks, so if heā€™s a moron, at least heā€™s a polite one.

In that caseā€¦

Your welcomeā€¦You MORON!

For scherpy anā€™ the rest of yas. Some screenshots from the Wildeast George Hilton double bill - from The Moment to Kill.
Iā€™ll copy my views here as well (from ā€˜last westernā€¦ watchedā€™ thread ā€¦)

ā€œI already have this on vid and shitty dvdr, but Iā€™m pleased I waited for this release to finally see it. Iā€™ve since read the thoughts on its dedicated thread and pretty much agree with all there. A bit silly in parts, Barnes (Bull) is a bit of a pre-Spencer type character (from Trinity), but thankfully not overly much. This is a pretty gritty affair with some good characters and some twists.
Enjoyable stuff overall. (Oh yeah - great song )
3 anā€™ a bit out of 5.ā€

" Both films are a bit grainy and Full Houseā€¦ maybe a little bit more washed out, but both have night scenes that are fine in my book. Definately an improvement on what I got already."

i agree with you, the slaghterhouse scene itā€™s a great piece for the spaghetti western world
horst frank character itā€™s truly evil in this one!!
thank god there is a wild east dvd now with great picture
i order it from ebay now

they cut the scene?? i wonder how was the wild east version

The Wild East Version is not that Good!!!

I havenā€™t bought it so far; the reverend says itā€™s fullscreen, but studying his screens Iā€™m not sure, look at the first and third screenshot, they image looks squeezed vertically. Maybe the image is 1,85:1 after all (still not correct, but better than fullscreen)

Yeah the scenes do look squeezed vertically.

Is it true what p. peirera said, that thereā€™s an uncut version where the girl dies?

[quote=ā€œCol. Douglas Mortimer, post:32, topic:1023ā€]Yeah the scenes do look squeezed vertically.

Is it true what p. peirera said, that thereā€™s an uncut version where the girl dies?[/quote]

Canā€™t remember that Iā€™ve ever heard or read about this before, but Iā€™ll try to find out.

Maybe pareira means that he would have preferred an ending with the two shooting the girl, not that there actually is such an ending
To me the ending we know is very fine. I remember that the revelation took me by surprise when I saw the movie for the first time

wild east version itā€™s very poor!!! they copyed the global africa version and put it in the double feature!!
fans beware! and the other movie foul house of the devil itā€™s very crap movie >:(
horible picture, where is the digital remastered version???

Global also released Full House for the Devil / One More to Hell aswell so maybe just used that print ?

i dont know maybe, as for the moment to kill iā€™am sure

I sure like the pedigree of this one, as director Carnimeo (a/k/a Anthony Ascott) is behind several fine Sartana films as well as FIND A PLACE TO DIE; and George Hilton is one of the Spaghetti Western genreā€™s most laconic and charismatic stars. But despite very capable and creative direction, a hooky theme song and score, and the presence of Hiltonā€™s winning smirk, the film is a dud.

Hilton plays a notorious bounty hunter (Lord) who, with his burly, sloppy sidekick Bull (Walter Barnes in a Jack Black-style role) aims to discover the location of a missing fortune in gold. Horst Frank is the hot-headed young man that stands against them.

If you were to make a list of the picā€™s assets, youā€™d think, wow, must be great: There is an intriguing mystery to the story, as the heroes must decipher various arcane clues and enlist the help of a long-missing crippled girl. The title song, ā€œWalk By My Sideā€ by Francesco DeMasi, is supremely infectious, and repeats throughout in a variety of forms, notably plucked on an electric bass guitar. Carnimeoā€™s varied camera set-ups feature numerous unusually-composed and visually-arresting shots and interesting points-of-view. Hilton is sarcastic and charming. Barnes is goofy and funny, in a Bud Spencer sort of way. Still, the picture bored me to tears in each of two separate attempted viewings. (I was made so catatonic the first time around, I stopped halfway through and tried again from the beginning on another day. No Luck.) If I had to put my finger on it, I guess Iā€™d say there is a distinct lack of dramatic tension and/or action on hand. We seem to follow Lord leisurely from from one scenario to the next, never sensing any danger, import or panic to whatā€™s happening. The very few action sequences are of that most boring variety: The Shootout. Is there anything less exciting than two teams of gunmen firing at each other from darkened buildings? In several such scenes here, various pistoleros crouch behind their hiding spots, peek out and fire, crouch back down again, maybe somebody does an overly dramatic fall ā€¦ you get the idea. Furthermore, these scenes are usually edited such that thereā€™s no perspective on whoā€™s shooting whom, from where, adding to the viewerā€™s dissonance. Letā€™s have some some action, guys! A chase on horseback, a fistfight, a daring escape, a dramatic leap from a building, a tense river crossing ā€¦ stuff that makes the runtime fly by, not just fill the time.

By no means a total failure, you may like this film if you are specifically locked in to Hiltonā€™s particular charm, or can forgive its clock-stopping dullness. I wouldnā€™t recommend it otherwise. 5 out 10 stars, C-.

9.5 out of 10 for me a carmineo masterpiece!!

I agree with most of the things you say against the movie, still I find it a pleasant SW to watch. It has the right feel, a combination of western, horror, detective and comedy, and I like the actors, not only Hilton, Barnes & Frank, but also Von Friedl and some of the nasty villains.

Very well written review, by the way

It might seem trivial but one of the reasons I like this film is the use of shotgun. 8)