The Man from Oklahoma / Oklahoma John / Il ranch degli spietati (Jaime Jesús Balcázar, Roberto Bianchi Montero, 1965)

I had contact with Anton Geesink’s office, it’s not him

I talked to his son twice this week, and his father confirmed to him that he never played in an Italian-Spanish western; he was Samson in that other movie mentioned on IMDB

So I suppose the identity of Rick Horn will be a mystery forever …

Apparently the actor is Samson Burke

http://www.hollywoodteenmovies.com/SamsonBurkeInterview.html

With Geesink playing the biblical character Samson in another movie, the two persons got mixed up

Apparently the actor is Samson Burke

http://www.hollywoodteenmovies.com/SamsonBurkeInterview.html

With Geesink playing the biblical character Samson in another movie, the two persons got mixed up

That’s some impressive detective work.

Sherlock Schutter

Marco Giusti mentions the name in his book, but didn’t make the link (I guess he never saw the movie, some of the info on the plot isn’t correct either). If I had checked that name when I first read the article, I would have saved myself quite some trouble. So Sherlock? No, Watson maybe.

Thing is, I had nearly completed the review, and now I can start all over again

Scherp Watson strikes again!

Scherp, have you read what Tom Betts wrote about the Horn/ Burke/ Geesink thing?

“I received an e-mail from both Mike Martinez and Larry Anderson a few weeks ago, telling me Samson Burke was not Rik Horn but one time World Karate Champion Anton Geesing. Both of these collectors have interviewed Samson Burke and are long time collectors of Peplum films. Both would love Horn to be Burke but it is not to be.” - Tom Betts

[quote=“Stanton, post:27, topic:1551”]Scherp, have you read what Tom Betts wrote about the Horn/ Burke/ Geesink thing?

“I received an e-mail from both Mike Martinez and Larry Anderson a few weeks ago, telling me Samson Burke was not Rik Horn but one time World Karate Champion Anton Geesing. Both of these collectors have interviewed Samson Burke and are long time collectors of Peplum films. Both would love Horn to be Burke but it is not to be.” - Tom Betts[/quote]

No, missed that one

Well, it’s not Geesink, of that I’m sure. Not only was this confirmed by his son (who had been in contact with his father about this), but the face (bone structure etc.) is different. I never thought it was him.

Burke talks about the movie in an interview (I made a link to it), there’s a photo of Burke on a horse, and the actor in the movie looks very much like the photos of a young Burke I’ve seen. The man’s height seems correct too. The info you find on IMDB in this regard is usually incorrect. I’ve searched on You Tube for clips of Burke and compared them to the actor in Oklahoma John. Burke/Horn is a man of about 1,85, strong built, with a long face. Geesink is a much bigger and taller person; he weighed 130 kilos when he was a champ (I found that in a news paper article on a world champion’s match); I don’t know how tall he is exactly, forgot to ask this on the phone (again, the info on IMDB is clearly wrong), but I’d say he’s about 2 meters. To me it seemed clear that Horn was Burke, but of course you can’t ever be 100 % sure. If it’s not him, it’s a man whose name we probably will never know.

By the way: Geesink was not a karate champion

Btw. Tom had added his quote as an appendix to your review. Check also the film’s site.

I haven’t removed the text
Let’s see if anybody still comes up with new info

Geesink is a very well-known man in Holland, most Dutchmen are as familiar with him (and how he looks) as most Germans are with, let’s say, Uwe Seeler. When I saw a screenshot of Oklahoma, I immediately said to myself: No, it’s not Geesink. I took the photo with me and showed it to several Dutch people, and their reaction was inevitably: No, absolutely not Geesink

If nobody comes up with conclusive evidence, I’ll chance the text of the review by the end of next week or so

But it wasn’t Seeler?

A guy of 1,85 m ? With hair ?

Watched this one last night… it was actually better than I expected but I probably wouldn’t ever watch it again. As stated everywhere else, it’s your standard early spaghetti that is build more on the american western than anything but I did notice just a few “spaghetti” feeling parts. I watched the Dorado Films disc and I really appreciate the extra trailers, but man, those films they’re for look beyond terrible! If those trailers are supposed to sell me on the films, they fail, haha.

I’ve got the DORADO DVD. A solid US style western. Good print. I’m still interested in learning whom Rick Horn really was. I’ve got a few movies with Burke in them and looked at the interview pics, looks something like him. Thanks for the info.

I’m a little confused. Is it Burke or not?

I’m confused too, Col.
I put a lot of energy in solving the mystery, but failed. It’s not Geesink for sure, and still think it’s Burke, but others think it’s not him. If it’s not Burke, we’ll probably never know who the hell this guy could be.
A strong guy, 1.85 meter, long face, about 30 years old in 1965, not much of a clue if you’re looking for someone in particular …

Rick Horn…something about his appearance that is a little different. His shape of his head looks like it belongs on a taller man for some reason to me, and he never takes his hat of. Pre-occupied me a bit this as the story is routine as they go, and has been done much better in other ones. Mainly set in town most of the time and the sets have a cheap look about them. May have not noticed as much if there would have been more outside scenes. Not one I will be viewing again in a hurry.

Oklahoma John (1964), directed by Roberto Bianchi Montero

Veterans Pepe Calvo (chief villain) and Jesús Puche (slobbish sidekick) breathe some badly needed acting ability into a cast otherwise poorly assisted in this department. The competent likes of Eduardo Lizarza, Fernando Rubio and Juan Torres appear minimally and the cast leadership of this Balcázar western, made in coproduction with Italy and Germany, is assumed by one “Rick Horn”, one of the most risible of Spaghetti Western leads as well as the perhaps the most mysterious of them all. While several theories have been advanced as to who he really is or was (Samson Burke, Anton Geesink), these have been promptly exploded and Horn’s real identity still remains unknown. Deservedly so, it would seem. His co-stars, especially the German element, are hardly any better: actor George Herzig, as Calvo’s son, is indeed even worse and something is clearly amiss when the usually fine Giuseppe Addobbati overacts shamelessly in the role of a drunk.

For the rest, this is simply a banal western on yet another corrupt town boss and with the usual cheap physical production of Balcázar westerns. Here and there, the film comes to life. A woman turns up to announce her husband’s death: Francesco de Masi’s music acquires more intensity and the scene is bathed in an interesting yellowish light. And the final ride of Calvo’s men is also quite good. Otherwise, one may simply note that while Jaime Jesús Balcázar signed as the film’s director, the film is really the work of Robert Bianchi Montero.

[quote=“Nzoog Wahrlfhehen, post:38, topic:1551”]Oklahoma John (1964), directed by Roberto Bianchi Montero

Horn’s real identity still remains unknown. Deservedly so, it would seem.[/quote]

Right. Not one of the great actors of the genre, this guy

Watched this one this morning and my thoughts echo most of those above. Unremarkable version of a tale we’ve all seen before where only the performances of Jose Calvo and Jesus Puche stand out as memorable. Rick Horn (whoever he actually is) looks as though he would be much more at home in a peplum than here. Reminded me a bit of Dan Vadis facially (don’t panic, I’m not suggesting it’s him) and always got the feeling he would have liked to take his shirt off if not his hat.

I have a soft spot for the Balcazar western town and the outdoor locations around Fragas so still found stuff to enjoy here but it is not one I’d be recommending to anyone in truth.