The Man Called Invincible / Lo chiamavano Tresette... giocava sempre col morto (Giuliano Carnimeo, 1973)

Database page: https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Lo_chiamavano_Tresette…_giocava_sempre_col_morto

Apologies if there is a thread on this title somewhere. I did several searches on the various titles and was surprised to not find any threads created yet.

Just started watching this one in the background… the first 3 minutes were not looking promising- intro consisting of a bar room brawl, but then the dialog…

He is one of those ah…
You think?
Yea, that straw hat’s a sure sign
It is kinda fruity
Hey Fruity Tooty, ya know who we are?
THE THREE SPEEDY FINGERS!

… and now we’re rolling

quoted from http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,296.msg7835.html

only 29 minutes in and the amount of gay references is staggering

although I’m not sure I’d say the English dub is butchered compared to the Italian, seems like its probably pretty close to me

This movie is terrible… I’d call it simply a comedy over a any type of western any day… cheap slapstick humor that isn’t funny… but I’ll be honest with you, one thing made me laugh but unfortunately, I don’t remember what it was. I only watched it in it’s entirety because 1. Giuliano Carnimeo is one of the greatest SW directors in my opinion and 2. I enjoy George Hilton’s films for the most part.

I didn’t think it was horrible. Certainly will not be close to satisfying if you’re in the mood for a real western, but it succeeded several times in getting a laugh out of me. Not so much with the slapstick, which there was a lot of, but the dialog… lots of WTF lines in this movie. Ending dragged out for too long… probably helped that I wasn’t paying full attention, but watched it while doing some other things. If I had actually sat down to watch it, I’m sure I would of felt more bored with it at several points

I just watched this, and I think its the worst SW I’ve ever seen. The movie is awful. I don’t mind comedy westerns, but there’s probably nothing worse than a comedy SW that isn’t even remotely funny. The whole time I was hoping that the misery would end. It was so boring, and their weren’t even any gunfights in the movie. The jokes were so stupid and corny and childish. It made be cringe and have goosebumps all over because it was so embarrassing. I was almost ashamed to watch this movie since Ascott is my favorite non Leone director.

81 minutes of pure hell to watch.

haha I can understand your point of view

however, I found many of the absurd moments to be quite funny

Like when Tricky is seeing the door guard’s future in the crystal ball, then he holds it over the guard and breaks it over his head, the guard is like “oh darn” and Tricky walks off, without anything accomplished and this serving no point… its like complete randomness

As a western its a failure, but as an oddity i thought it was a success… A lot of the comedy came across to me as much less childlike than say the Trinity movies. Of course I was mainly laughing on more of a Holy Crap level, than actually laughing at the jokes themselves

Protest!

The Trinity films are not childlike. They were clearly made for a mature audience. They were viewed as vulgar in its time, and in Germany for example childs beneath 16 weren’t allowed to see them.

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:5, topic:1539”]I just watched this, and I think its the worst SW I’ve ever seen. The movie is awful. I don’t mind comedy westerns, but there’s probably nothing worse than a comedy SW that isn’t even remotely funny. The whole time I was hoping that the misery would end. It was so boring, and their weren’t even any gunfights in the movie. The jokes were so stupid and corny and childish. It made be cringe and have goosebumps all over because it was so embarrassing. I was almost ashamed to watch this movie since Ascott is my favorite non Leone director.

81 minutes of pure hell to watch.[/quote]

Then be glad you only saw the short version.
There are maybe 2 sorts of hell, one for italians and one for the rest of the world.

[quote=“Stanton, post:7, topic:1539”]Protest!

The Trinity films are not childlike. They were clearly made for a mature audience. They were viewed as vulgar in its time, and in Germany for example childs beneath 16 weren’t allowed to see them.[/quote]

I wouldn’t so much call the first Trinity childlike, but the 2nd one I would. And its not so much the films themselves I am calling childlike, but the humor in the films. The jokes used in the Trinity films, are jokes I easily see a kid laughing at- no problem. Whereas kids may or may not laugh at Invincible, but I think its much less appropriate viewing material for a child- the jokes are much more offensive, if you’re one to take offense.

To me, the humor in the Trinity movies and even My Name Is Nobody, is rather innocent- which to me makes it the more childlike by comparison.

And as a side note… I’m by no means arguing that this is a good movie, or good spaghetti for that matter… but I took it at its face value, not expecting anything more than what it is and I had several laughs out of it, is all I’m saying

[quote=“Stanton, post:7, topic:1539”]Protest!

The Trinity films are not childlike. They were clearly made for a mature audience. They were viewed as vulgar in its time, and in Germany for example childs beneath 16 weren’t allowed to see them.[/quote]

Did they get a 16 rating in Germany ? For what reason ?
As far as I remember there’s no sex in them, and the violence is minimal

The humour is a bit childish indeed, but it’s all well-timed and well-executed, so it doesn’t matter
The humor of the Trinity movies is closer to Laurel & Hardy than to Chaplin; I prefer the Chaplin approach, but can appreciate both types of humor.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:11, topic:1539”]The humour is a bit childish indeed, but it’s all well-timed and well-executed, so it doesn’t matter
The humor of the Trinity movies is closer to Laurel & Hardy than to Chaplin; I prefer the Chaplin approach, but can appreciate both types of humor.[/quote]

Yes, I enjoy them and I did not expect to. Its good to be able to laugh, even if the humor is childish- its good to remember that side of your existence and exercise it.

I think these movies, and also the other Dickie Luft movie, CRAZY BUNCH, are geared more towards the Italian audience at least in the original versions. I found them mildly enjoyable as they reminded me a great deal of the Looney Tunes cartoons.

Harmless fun if you are in the mood.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:11, topic:1539”]Did they get a 16 rating in Germany ? For what reason ?
As far as I remember there’s no sex in them, and the violence is minimal

The humour is a bit childish indeed, but it’s all well-timed and well-executed, so it doesn’t matter
The humor of the Trinity movies is closer to Laurel & Hardy than to Chaplin; I prefer the Chaplin approach, but can appreciate both types of humor.[/quote]

FSK 16, both.

Trinity Is Still My Name was 10 years later downgraded to FSK 12 for the fun dubbed rerelease, which was also 13 min shorter.
But the first is still FSK 16. Of course a DVD distributor will easily get the FSK 12, if he is ready to spend the money for a new check.

Yeah I agree with autophex that the jokes in Invinicible were meant for a mature audience, with the gay and s and m references. But the jokes were really stupid, like one a Pauly Shore or Tom Green movie. Stupid humour. The trinity movies for all intent and purposes were family films, with innocent jokes, such as farting babies and whatnot. But I guess you can accuse the movies of making heroes out of Criminals, since Trinity and Bambino were outlaws afterall. Either way, at least the Trinity movies were well made, entertaining and even made me laugh a little. Invincilble on the other hand was just torture for me to watch.

I can agree with this. Perhaps then, adolescent or immature humor, but not necessarily childish :wink:

Does Hilton wear the same get up as in his Hallelujah movies? I sometimes mistake the two.

Yes, same. Also no difference in the character. Don’t know why they changed the name to Tresette.

Yeah I just re-watched They Call Me Hallelujah again the other night before watching Invincible, and I thought they had a very similar feel… Invicible obviously being more over the top and very silly, as well as less violent- Still, easily the same character and attitude