The Long Day of the Massacre / Il lungo giorno del massacro (Alberto Cardone, 1968)

A review of this movie is now available; itā€™s not very famous, but the day is long and the senoritas are beautiful:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/The_Long_Day_of_the_Massacre_Review

Database link:

Another fine review. Looks to have some outstanding scenery! :slight_smile:

Nice review Scherps. Sounds like a fun little movie.
And the screen shots suggest a reasonable print you watched. Was this an italian disc?

[quote=ā€œPhil H, post:3, topic:1836ā€]Nice review Scherps. Sounds like a fun little movie.
And the screen shots suggest a reasonable print you watched. Was this an italian disc?[/quote]

No, it was a torrent, apparently a copy from a network showing
German language only, there were some problems with the aspect ratio, it was a widescreen print, but only 1,70:1, while the OAR was 2,35:1. I guess they cut the sides to remove a logo.

Thanks for the review.

Iā€™ve seen this once, on a German-language tape (probably the same source that was uploaded to the net, and was distinctly underwhelmed.

Armed with your comments I can at least appreciate the plot and the character motivations a little better, but I remember thinking that on this occasion, unlike in, say, Seven Dollars to Kill and Blood at Sundown, Cardone had failed to overcome his budgetary difficulties and resorted to padding the film out with superfluous scenes. Maybe he was less engaged with the story, which doesnā€™t have the Biblical intensity of those earlier works.

The photography struck me as bland as well.

Iā€™ll give it a second chance, but Iā€™m not expecting much of a revelation.

I have seen this a few years ago, and I donā€™t remember much of it. There was Peter Martell, there were maybe a few scenes in and around a (fake) cave, and the girls were more remarkable than the rest of the film, and maybe the villain was rather bad (both as villain and as actor), and ā€¦ not much else, and all is only very vague.

It got a 2/10, maybe now that Iā€™m more generous towards SWs it would get a 3/10. On a good day, but most days are good.

Some of the best parts of the movie were body parts, true

he he

Martell looks the part as the lawman who has to hand in his badge. He spends most of his time on the run or with the bandits who capture him. Everybody looks the part in fact, except for one of the bandits who has this weird looking grey streak going through his hair. Not that I have nothing against grey hair, but just did not look right for one of the head bandits. Some entertaining scenes in this one though. The one that will stick in my mind for a while is a knife scene involving Martell, itā€™s pretty original I thought.

Some of the photography is a little bland looking like mentioned. I viewed an Italian T.V print getting on for a 2.35 ratio. Composer Michele Lacerenza fits some trumpet work into the score, which although not his best in this styleā€¦I still enjoyed.

Entertaining middle of the road Spaghetti for me.

Does anyone know if thereā€™s english version available anywhere?

Ditto.
I like Cardone and this is the only one of his which I havenā€™t found in some english friendly form. Would love to have it.

Seems Cine City now has an Italian dubbed, English subbed print available.

[quote=ā€œStarblack, post:5, topic:1836ā€]Thanks for the review.

Iā€™ve seen this once, on a German-language tape (probably the same source that was uploaded to the net, and was distinctly underwhelmed.

Armed with your comments I can at least appreciate the plot and the character motivations a little better, but I remember thinking that on this occasion, unlike in, say, Seven Dollars to Kill and Blood at Sundown, Cardone had failed to overcome his budgetary difficulties and resorted to padding the film out with superfluous scenes. Maybe he was less engaged with the story, which doesnā€™t have the Biblical intensity of those earlier works.

The photography struck me as bland as well.

Iā€™ll give it a second chance, but Iā€™m not expecting much of a revelation.[/quote]

Well Starblack sums it up pretty much perfectly for me.
I have great respect for Cardoneā€™s ability to overcome his budgetary limitations but in this one it didnā€™t look like he really cared at all. If I hadnā€™t known better (and if Jeff Cameron was in it) I could have easily mistaken this for a Fidani. Endless riding back and forth, fist fights and no obvious logic to anything resembling the plot. Ranks alongside $20,000 on Number 7 as one of his weakest films for me. A pity as I do admire Cardone and rank his work highly amongst the ā€˜lesserā€™ directors of the genre.

I like Martell too but that bias really couldnā€™t keep me interested in this too much. Only Barratto and Giordano kept me awake.

Got this spagh recently, thought iā€™de give a look. Well, after a great opening where Martell (heā€™s a sheriff) on top of a ridge yells out to four mexicans ā€œhey, good people wake upā€ shoots them down like dogs i thought to myselfā€¦ well, this might be a good spaghie!, nope, it was all downhill after that. It didnā€™t take long for this to be a lackluster effort from Cardone and to make matters worse, Martell is not a good lead actor. (Glenn Saxon) who doesnā€™t have much to do here, should have been in the lead IMO. With a plot that didnā€™t make much sense and combined with endless riding chaseā€™s, stupid fistfightā€™s and clumsy acting did me in. Hey, at least the women are nice to look at, and the theme song is a good one.

http://www.amazon.de/Das-Gesetz-Erbarmungslosen-Pietro-Martellanza/dp/B018JA29TM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_74_7?ie=UTF8&dpID=61q65nfMODL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR113%2C160_&refRID=1P0XBQPVWM1B48TEPE90

This new dvd release finally shows the running time to be 105 minutes.

I thought this would suck, but was not that bad. Iā€™d call it likeable trashy movie with plenty of violence and even a gang rape (off scree). It has a rough feel of low budget movies. The direction is generally fine, if you know what to expect - a lot of close range camera views that hide lack of money. There are still few shots that look very nice. Noone really cared to make believable fistfights and shootouts, they are awfully staged. There are hardly any highlights, maybe the last scene which is (unintentionally?) hilarious. I have to mention how Joe (Martell) masterfully handled a knife, even ninjas would be ashamed in comparsion with Joeā€™s skills. The actors are ok, I especially liked the girls, the Mexican was extremly hot and so was the redhead. Iā€™d love to see them fight in mud. What a missed opportunity! :stuck_out_tongue:

Copied from the Spagvemberfest 2022 thread:

1 Like

Long Day of the Massacre has been updated to the new layout (3.0). Let us know if you can add anything: pictures, posters, trivia, facts, figures, links, etcā€¦

2 Likes