The Last Western You Watched?

Not very poco, politically correct, so to speak.

I might give it a try, just for incorrectness sake. Those ideas about Indians, Brits, US born citizens have become so obsolete that it can be fun hearing people expressing them in all honesty, that is without trying to provoke anybody.

Yes, it was exactly like that. I was amused to watch all that and overacting from the school of government educational movies. It felt a bit surreal.

The Ridiculous Six (2015)

Not really a fan of Adam Sandler but this western comedy made me laugh a few times. It’s stupidly goofy and corny as hell, but you know what!..sometimes you just need to unwind and have a good laugh once in awhile. The first half was kinda of so so, the second half of the film made up for it. Good cameos from the likes of Harvey Kietel, John Turturro, Steve Buscemi etc…

Comanche Territory(1950) George Sherman

Trouble brews when a peace treaty gets stolen and now greedy white men want the Silver that sits on Indian homeland. Not too bad for a (b) western, I’ve seen a lot worse…besides, it’s always a pleasure to watch the beautiful Maureen O’Hara on screen.

Gunman’s Walk (1958) with Van Heflin and Tab Hunter. Surprisingly dramatic western. Very ejoyable! And a great BluRay

Monte Walsh (1970) with Jack Palance, Jeanne Moreau and the immortal Lee Marvin. Didn’t live up to my expectations. Kind of starts out like a comedy and then gets dark.

Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957)

It still holds well, it is serious, Lancaster and Douglas to me are crème de la crème of their generation, but I don’t know, something was missing, maybe little bit more of action and style, title gunfight scene was not particularly interesting (too long, in reality it lasted 30 seconds). On the other hand, Costner and Kasdan borrowed a lot of character development and maybe even some dialogue for their Wyatt Earp from this,

The gunfight in this one is one of the best of the 50s for me.

Not a bad film, but I always felt that Douglas and Lancaster should’ve swapped roles. Lancaster would’ve been the ideal Holliday and Douglas, well, I’m not a fan of the man, but I could imagine him as Earp, but not as Holliday.

Douglas is currently at the grand age of 99…will he make 100 !

Born December 9, so quite a few months to go. At that age, every month must be conquered, I suppose

Blueberry
-I’m still not sure if I like it or not. I like weird films but this one seems to be missing something, it doesn’t leave you puzzled like El Topo or Django Kill. It makes you feel more like waking from a dream which you had already forgotten.
One thing is sure, they shouldn’t have called it Blueberry.

Very strange film, and nothing to do wth the character created by Jean-Michel Charlier. Actually those comics would give a very pretty decent Western

The wild bunch. The man who shot liberty valance ,

Slow West. Huge disappointment. Felt like a total waste of time.

I liked the first 20 minutes or so, but then it just derailed.

Elorrieta: If you shoot… you live (1975)
-A young man Jimmy is chased by bounty hunters but he’s being rescued by elder man who lives secluded with his younger wife. Wife falls in love with him while Jimmy is more interested in reverend’s daughter.
This is more drama oriented western with not so much action. Lots of film’s running time is dedicated to show the atrocities of the three bounty hunters though. I think the best part of the film was the theme song which was a folk song by female singer.

My rating: 3/10

The Raiders (1952) Lesley Selander.

Good little (B) western with Richard Conte in top form who’s out for revenge when he finds his wife killed and robbed of his gold. The action for the most part was good and it moved along quite well.

Wow, I thought it was great, but different strokes…
I liked how it was emotionally engaging, I liked its quirky humor. I liked how it presented that Wild West was not happening in some parallel universe where it exists independent from the rest of the world. Other parts of the world existed at the same time, and people from those parts were moving to the West. I liked the final shootout and the roles two main characters played in that shootout. I liked the sense of wilderness. I liked how main antagonist was threatening and dangerous but still likable in a way. And I liked how it was very 2015 movie and still conscious of western tradition and structure.

Slow West is a fine western. Pretty fine. 8/10

My comment about those first 20 minutes was on Blueberry, not Slow West.