The Last Western You Watched?

Yesterday’s Four Dollars of Revenge (Balcázar, 1965) was… well, it wasn’t bad exactly but it was a forgettable also-ran of a movie. Today we’re going up through the gears with my third Corbucci picture in the last six days (I didn’t plan that out too well), The Great Silence (1968). Haven’t watched it in its entirety for roughly a year, during which time it’s slipped quietly - Silently, even - out of my Spag Big 30. Today though I’ll be giving Autephex’s recent restoration a proper runout, giving TGS its best possible opportunity to shine.

Well, Los Marcados is available on You Tube & Dailymotion, but i’ll probably take the fansubbed version on CG, my Spanish is a bit shaky and the movie seems to be a little hard to follow even for those who are fluent in that language. Seems an interesting addition for our Mexi-sexi(on)

But I’ll probably do that recent upload by Autephex first.

I’m going to be adding a couple new versions of Los Marcados at CG soon, but the quality is about the same. One looks a lot better, but the movement isn’t smooth so kinda ruins the improvement. The other looks slightly better but not by a lot… actually I am going to buy one more dvd release first to see if it is by chance any better

But the one already available is good enough

Cinco Mil dólares de recompensa, was available in emule bu there are no sources these days. I got mine from a Brazilian site, it was dubbed in Portuguese (from Brazil), incredible there were Spanish subs for that version. I’ve tried a few Mexican sites, but they used to megaupload their films, so the files don’t exist anymore.

It’s a very SW film, really hard to tell the difference from the westerns made in Europe, but it wasn’t produced by Columbia Pictures like Los Marcados, so copies are hard to find outsider México.

There are several dvd’s from the USA out there (Spanish only). Is it worth picking up, El Topo?
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Cinco_mil_dolares_de_recompensa
(still need to add dvd info though)

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:11545, topic:141”]There are several dvd’s from the USA out there (Spanish only). Is it worth picking up, El Topo?
(still need to add dvd info though)[/quote]

Well I enjoy it, the film is like a Fidani but more violent, and technically better made. it got that unique Mexican soap opera feeling that somehow its great in a SW.
The final scene is great a the bad guy is in a graveyard asking to be taken by the hero Dante, but the guy Dante just answers: non you don’t have a reward.

Cool stuff, I think you like it BL

Thanks, El Topo. Gotta brush up on my Spanish, I guess.

Complete surprise, four Italian Cinema composers for the original soundtrack of this one: Claudio Tallino, Gianfranco Plenizio, Giuseppe De Luca and Luis Enríquez Bacalov (from Pelle di bandito, Il dio chiamato Dorian and even Tonino Valerii’s Il prezzo del potere! The two tracks by Plenizio belong to his Western Repertoire, maybe from Giarrettiera Colt).

Wow! Glad I ordered it. I hope the Mexican version has their music as well.

Maybe we should give the film its own topic.

Yeah, Mexican version.

Definitely.

I’d also like to divide the Mariscal thread up into individual film topics and separate each post out into the relevant thread

Go for it. Otherwise all the useful comments will get buried here and there.

Meanwhile busy with adding more stuff to the db. Also needed are a lot of pics of actors/actresses. Working on that as well.

Gotta get moderator permissions first…

The Great Silence (Corbucci, 1968) elbowed its way back into my Spag Big 30 thanks to yesterday’s viewing, and it was joined in the lower reaches of my wider Spag Big 40 by today’s effort, Ringo Kill aka Nest of Vipers (Petroni, 1969). Good film, bit of a hidden gem. Although the whole movie was almost derailed for me by Luke Askew’s sandals.

[size=12pt]Forty Guns[/size] - 1957 - Samuel Fuller

Another stand out western/film directed by the great Samuel Fuller.
A very compact and effective film, that I really enjoyed watching. The classic type of story that fits so well in westerns which Fuller handles like no other director, he doesn’t turn the film into a masterpiece of something like that, but in real and palpable emotions displayed on screen.

Barbara Stanwick portrays a lady landlord that with the help of a small army of forty guns rules over a small Arizona City. But a power struggle starts as the Bonnell brothers arrive in town to stop the general corruption she supports, to make things worst Stanwick has her own hot headed brother that wants to make a name for himself.
The pace is fast there’s not a dull moment in the film, the romantic aspect of the film is particularly well done. Also the acting was to my taste, there’s a fantastic scene with Stanwick and Barry Sullivan, she ask him – Can I touch it – referring to his gun, and he answers -It might go off in your face.
The end of an era element also surfaces, even if not the most important thing in the film.
Fuller films specially the B/W ones have a mute cinema element that is so characteristic, actors act in a very expressive way.
So, small and compact but effective western directed by Fuller.

Fury of johnny kidd…Unfortunately I have to say it was about average. It starts very promising and ending is great too but at times in middle it dragged quite a lot…

::slight_smile:

Forty Guns is one of my favourite Westerns from the fifties - a really dynamic film. There are two extended shots (the opening and another when the protagonists are walking down the street) that are phenomenal, almost like Ophuls transplanted into Western territory in the fluidity and confidence of the camera movement.

Going to be giving a re-watch to Four of the Apocalypse (Fulci, 1975) later on this evening. I usually watch them with my lad but FotA is probably a bit rapey for a ten year old.

Today I shall be trying out Dead Men Ride (Florio, 1971). I’m fairly sure they don’t ride, to be honest. I imagine they’d just fall off the horse. We shall see.

Not if they are tied on their horses. A common western image.