The Last Western You Watched?

LITTLE BIG MAN (1970, Arthur Penn)

Covering the same ground as Ennioo’s movie. A rewatch of course.

A great movie, a bit similar in structure to the director’s Bonnie & Clyde, made two years before: it’s a picaresque movie, told in a serio-comic style, alternating cheerful, often hilarious vignettes with the shocking brutality of Custer’s massacre at the Washita River (in every aspect as powerful and shocking as Ralph Nelson’s rendition of the Sandcreek massacre in Soldier Blue) and the general’s last stand at the Little Big Horn.

Some have criticized the movie for its structural anamolies, and yes, in the second half (after we’ve witnessed the Washita massacre) this serio-comic narrative style may get a little on your nerves and there are a couple of quasi-philosophical scenes with ‘Grandfather’ Old Lodge Skins too many; what’s meant to be deep and wise eventually becomes a bit silly.

One that I’ve seen a only once a long time ago, still have good memories of it, one of those films/westerns that I didn’t forget, in any case time for a rewatch.
My problem these days with my watch list its the lack of time with work and kids, end up seeing what’s in the telly most of the times.

Little Big Man is a must-see for me. One of the best westerns ever.

And of course not a bit silly. :wink: Especially not cause everything is ironically broken. Great ending. Unlike in the novel the magic sometimes work, sometimes not. And I think the Washita massacre is a much, much better scene than the gory Soldier Blue massacre. And it also in every respect the much, much better film

"You know what a monkey is? A monkey is somethin’ that makes ya laugh. And you all are like monkeys, goin’ around spewin’ the word ‘liberty’. And that makes me laugh. Liberty? For you, liberty’s only a small piece o’ earth where you can sit in the sun and rot! And that’s all! You don’t develop. You don’t build. You don’t create! But still you want liberty. And what would ya do if you got it? You’d defile it! You’d go around like barbarians, destroyin’ what the George Bellow Fergusons of this world have worked centuries to create! You are the dregs of the Earth. You have no more rights than animals have; you were born servants and you’ll die servants, still spewin’ forth the word ‘liberty’, without knowin’ what it means!"

Today: Requiescant (Lizzani, 1967).

What an outstanding movie. Lou Castel and Mark Damon, both fantastic. I laughed out loud - but in a good way - when a pistol just fell into Requiescant’s hand and he immediately executed two moving targets at range. How spag is that? Brilliant! And the score - some bugger just giving it TWANGTWANGTWANGTWANGTWANGTWANGTWANGTWANG TWANG TWANG TWANG, TWANG, TWANG, TWANNNNG! That’s the “Twang” of SpagWest Heaven, right there. And what an end! Sorely tempted to just watch it all again immediately.

[quote=“Stanton, post:11503, topic:141”]Little Big Man is a must-see for me. One of the best westerns ever.

And of course not a bit silly. :wink: Especially not cause everything is ironically broken. Great ending. Unlike in the novel the magic sometimes work, sometimes not. And I think the Washita massacre is a much, much better scene than the gory Soldier Blue massacre. And it also in every respect the much, much better film[/quote]

Of course it’s a much better film, I only compared the two scenes (Washita/Sand creek), and not their quality, but their effect. Soldier Blue may be a mediocre movie, the finale (still) does what it’s supposed to do: shock people. I find it virtually unbearable, which was probably the effect Nelson was aiming at. The Washita sequence is indeed better, if only because it has the same powerful effect without the excessive gore. It’s also a perfectly choreographed and directed scene, Penn at his very best.

In Little Big Man this serio-comic narrative style works for a while, actually for most part of the movie, but like I said, it started to get a little on my nerves towards the end. Another aspect I didn’t like, was the fact that Old Lodge Skins wasn’t surprised to see Little Big Man again at Little Big Horn, never asked or even wondered what he was doing in the company of Custer (in the book this is handled better). And yes, those speeches of Old Lodge Skins … they’re acceptable in the context of the Sixties, but they look like second rate Tolstoy to me (War and Peace clearly was a major influence on Berger’s novel, Old Lodge Skin is partly based on Platon Karataev, the simple but honest person of integrity from Tolstoy’s book; like Platon he is the spiritual centre of the narrative and the message is that we, civilized and educated men, can learn a lot from him - and in this case his culture).

My Name Is Mallory… M Means Death (1971)

Starring…

David Icke

True, but then I never asked me that. The film tells a lot in only about 140 min (more than many of the new high quality TV series in 5 seasons), and I think some explanations which are not that important had to be skipped and left for the viewer’s imagination.

And yes, those speeches of Old Lodge Skins ... they're acceptable in the context of the Sixties, but they look like second rate Tolstoy to me ([i]War and Peace[/i] clearly was a major influence on Berger's novel, Old Lodge Skin is partly based on Platon Karataev, the simple but honest person of integrity from Tolstoy's book; like Platon he is the *spiritual centre* of the narrative and the message is that we, civilized and educated men, can learn a lot from him - and in this case his [i]culture[/i]).

At first, there were not that much, and then they never were very long, not long enough to become pretentious or penetrant, and most important they are all presented with an ironic eye blink.

I once had the book in my hands in a library, that’s why I know that at least the end is very different in regard of the fate of Old Lodge Skins. And I assumed from that that the film is different in its tone. That the book is serious, while the film’s seriousness works very different with its partly humorously and often satirical approach.

Scherp, is the book worth reading?

Joe Kidd - Thought I had seen this one before but I guess not because I didn’t remember any of it. Enjoyed it a lot and liked Eastwood’s character with some very funny scenes like every time he punches someone. The ending train bit is pretty funny also

Found Joe Kidd to be a better film that I expected; while the train scene is fun, it does clash with the tone built up - the frosty ride with Eastwood and Duvall is the best part of the movie. Sturges wasn’t really suited to making Spaghetti knock-offs and this isn’t his finest Western, but it has its moments and is commendably brief.

Yeah, much better than I expected also. For whatever reason I always had the impression that I’d seen it and didn’t like it much. I’m sure this helped my enjoyment as I always come out liking films more when I don’t expect much from them.

Not too familiar with Sturges, what would you say his best is? Having a look at his films and the only other one I’ve seen is Magnificent Seven- one I’ve been in the mood to watch lately but am waiting until I finish Stephen King’s Dark Tower V, which is largely based on this film.

Bad Day at Black Rock is the best film I’ve seen by him; great performances from everyone involved (Spencer Tracy, Robert Ryan, Lee Marvin) and taut direction; a terrific example of a modern-day Western. Sturges though, wasn’t would I would class an “auteur”; despite his financial success, even his finest Westerns aren’t as good as Mann’'s, Boetticher’s or even Wellman’s. Gunfight at the O.K. Corral is pretty good and of course he made two films, The Magnificent Seven and The Great Escape which are entirely iconic and essential viewing even if they aren’t “great”. Oh, and The Eagle Has Landed is enjoyable in a silly way.

Will give those a look. Also notice he has made “Chino” which I still have not watched

I like Chino. Maybe to slow for some folk though. Totally different to say Joe Kidd.

All of the westerns Sturges made in the 50s are pretty good. Alos Hour of the Gun and Chino (aka The Valdez Horses). I prefer them all to Mag 7, his most famous and most influential one. His weakest western is Sergeant’s Three, a minor Sinatra Clan outing. Joe Kidd comes next. And he with The Halleluja Trail made a long and rambling western comedy/parody, which is fun to watch.

Compared to Mann and Boetticher he is very underrated. And his best westerns are doubtless better than most of Boetticher’s and most of Mann’s. And most of Wellman’s too.

‘Fistful Of Dollars’ (1964)
-Clint Eastwood

Plot: Sergio Leone’s classic about a mysterious strangers involvement with warring factions in a Mexican border town

Phantoms Review: Nothing I can say, that hasn’t been said before…classic, brilliant, one of the best.

I’m enjoying my 31 Days of Halloween and I’m looking forward to the rather more challenging (imo) 31 Days of Christmas in December, but these magnificent endurance tests have left a rather ugly November-shaped hole in my calendar, so I’m going to plug the gap by resolving to watch a Spag every day from All Saint’s to St. Andrew’s. I’ve got thirty titles cued up already: Fifteen that I’ve never seen, plus the fifteen I feel are most in need of a re-watch here at casa.caress. And I’ll be kicking off a week on Saturday with A Minute to Pray, a Second to Die (The Autephex “WhoIsThisDoin’ThisSyntheticTypeOfAlphaBetaPsychedelicFunkin’?” Remix :slight_smile: ) (Giraldi, 1968).

Autephex’s version of A Minute to Pray, A Second to Die is incredible - having only ever viewed this version, I can only imagine how much of an improvement it must be over the U.S. cut; certainly when I next compose my Top 20 it’ll be in there.

Of course cannot take any credit for how good the film is, but always appreciate seeing that people are enjoying the edit :slight_smile:

Its about time for me to also rewatch A Minute to Pray, A Second to Die - has been long enough since my last viewing to where it will be somewhat fresh again.

And I am also making November the month of spaghetti - I’m going to try & stick to mostly top shelf material to see where my top 20 stands. Its been a while since I tried to revise that list. But it will be hard to stick to only the best stuff for an entire month…

Barbarosa (1982)

Quirky little movie, fun and off-centre just like Willie.

‘Curse Of The Undead’ (1959)
-Michael Pate, Eric Fleming
Plot: Mysterious Gunfighter for hire Drake Robey is really a vampire, and it’s up to the town preacher to save it’s citizens and his girlfriend

Phantoms Review:
This is one of my annual Halloween movie treats. It appeals to both the horror and western fan in me. While it’s definitely a “B” movie, the film treats it’s respective genres very respectfully. It’s smartly written, has a great atmospheric feel to it , and has a wonderful, spooky music score. Filled with recognizable western character actors, who do a fine job. This film is worth watching.