The Last Western You Watched?

Forgot about those :smiley: .

You forgot about boobs within a few days? Unless youā€™re getting as old as the prophet, Iā€™m afraid thereā€™s something wrong.

I always see users as their avā€™s, so at his age itā€™s normal.

Still very much to like but not without itā€™s flaws.

Hang 'Em High (1968)
repeated viewing

Hereā€™s couple of thoughts I was left with:

• I think this is one of the most underrated Eastwoodā€™s westerns, but it is not without flaws. On paper it could look as epic as Once upon a time in the West, but on screen it looks more like a nice little b-movie.
  • Use of music (among other things) was clearly influenced by spaghetti westerns, not so much in how it sounds, but how it is constantly in the front and loud. I liked that.
  • Romantic story was more pronounced than usual boring romantic ornament of western movies. Iā€™ve especially liked the scene with Eastwood and Stevens when the bursting out of the real storm is correlated to the eruption of the emotional storm between those two. It also helped give more punch to the ending which Iā€™ve also liked.
  • The ā€˜mainā€™ story of Eastwood haunting down the ones who did him wrong was not strong enough and less interesting than the ā€˜greaterā€™ theme of personal vs public justice and different sides of the birth of a country.
  • I found it weird that the most of the most important action was not shown or was happening off-screen few moments before we are given sight into the particular scene. I donā€™t know why it has done like that, but it gave impression that the director didnā€™t really know how to direct action scenes, and lack of action also made this nearly 2-hour western drag a little.

A good Clint Western, not great.

Kill The Wickeds - Dio Non Paga il Sabato

May have to make me redo my top 20 (ok, maybe 30) list. A great, eerie western with some brutally violent scenes. And now I have the ā€œprice of goldā€ theme song in my head!

Sabata - Must have seen this film into double figures now, the Kino Blu looks really nice.

I just gave this a re-view And I agree on both counts.

Last night: Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012), in Battersea Park.

Great event and atmosphere, if a bit cold by the end. Didnā€™t get in until maybe twenty to two this morning though. Knackered now.

As to the film: Seems more full of holes every time I see it. I DO like it, itā€™s full of fantastic characterizations, but it doesnā€™t make a heap of sense! Still, that probably ties in nicely with Mr Tarantino being influenced by Spags. :slight_smile:

Today: Go With God, Gringo (Mulargia, 1966). Mediocre. Nothing wrong with it but Iā€™ll be amazed if I can remember any of it by tomorrow.

[size=14pt] A Million Ways to Die in the West - 2014 - Seth MacFarlane[/size]

Donā€™t get me wrong thereā€™s some real funny moments in the film, but I was expecting a bit more that just some funny moments.

American Dad, Family Guy and all MacFarlane TV comics are great stuff, they both clever and funny at the same time, so itā€™s normal to expect some cool and funny stuff from Macfarlane movies, (and I havenā€™t seen Ted), but that itā€™s the main problem. Series like Family Guy, work well in that 20/30 minutes period, not more. Transforming or relocating that type of fast humor to long feature films like it happens in A million ways to die in the West, just doesnā€™t work, in my view at least.
The film stars well, but loses steam along the way, and the film becomes a bit repetitive. Not all bad, the cast is well chosen (apart from Ribisi, an actor I donā€™t sympathized with), they look to have genuine fun in making the movie, and the references are well.

In the end comedies are not an easy to male, if the thing goes wrong it just a succession of gags one after the other, at least here the gags are funny, and Theron is also funny in every possible way, but I was expecting something better.

Bullwhip, 1958ā€¦ with Guy Madison and Rhonda Fleming. A ludicrous plot-format thatā€™s relatively not bad from a story-pacing standpoint. Itā€™s all about the takeover of a Wyoming buffalo-hide empire, but you never see a buffalo after the first 30-seconds of the intro. Itā€™s basically a series of covered-wagon scenes. -Cept you donā€™t transport fresh buffalo-skins in a ā€˜coveredā€™ wagon.

The inside of Flemingā€™s wagon is filmed like an apartment. Sheā€™s supposedly a half-Indian ā€˜princessā€™ and half-Irish something-or-other. She inherits her fatherā€™s empire if she marries somebody, so she bribes a judge to arrange a situation where an innocent cowpoke kills somebody in self-defense so she can blackmail him into marrying herā€¦ then is to be hanged after the ceremony. Thatā€™s ridiculous. Of course, itā€™s Madison, who escapes after the marriage and ā€˜takes overā€™ her empire.

The ā€˜bullwhipā€™ title doesnā€™t make sense either. One scene has her snapping it at nothing, because sheā€™s angry. The only other time we see it is when she tries to threaten Madison, who grabs it and yanks-her-off-her-horse with itā€¦ wild red hair arising from the dirt.

The Indians are ridiculous. The half-developed oldtimers are ridiculousā€¦ I thought Madisonā€™s sidekick was named ā€˜Frodoā€™ till about two-thirds of the movie, when people began calling him ā€˜Podoā€™. Oh well, like I alluded, the movieā€™s rather enjoyable. -Probably because of Flemingā€™s feminine huffy-and-puffy ness.

Saskatchewan - Raoul Walsh, 1954

A 100% mediocre Injun western set (and shot) in Canada. Rather forgettable in every aspect. 2/10

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:11472, topic:141ā€]Saskatchewan - Raoul Walsh, 1954

A 100% mediocre Injun western set (and shot) in Canada. Rather forgettable in every aspect. 2/10[/quote]

Yes, very dissapointing. Saw it in cinema on a rerun in the '60s and rewatched it a while ago because some relatives living in Saskatchewan are coming over next month and will stay a few days at my place. A few good-looking scenes with lots of green and Indians, but thatā€™s it. To make it worse, I later read that the film was shot in Alberta.

I just read that Walsh had the same opinion. Weak story and screenplay, but he liked the Canadian landscapes, and tried to capture their whole beauty. Otherwise it was an ā€œeverything went wrongā€ movie.

Yesterday, I watched Hate Thy Neighbor (1968). A personal favorite of mine, with Horst Frank as the white suited, well spoken villain (soon to appear in The Grand Duel in 4 years time), and George Eastman as his unlucky lackey. I noticed the main hero (Spirico Focas, I think) in minor parts in I Kiss The Hand, and Shaft in Africa, where Adolfo Lastretti makes an appearence.

1949; South Of St. Louisā€¦ Well-produced, hyper-realistic hokum about 3 ranch-partners getting involved in a guns-for-cotton operation on the Mexico-Texas border at the start of the Civil Warā€¦ after Victor Jory burns their ranch and steals their cattle. -Lots of predictable male war-bluster and lots of unnecessary saloon-singing by Alexis Smith. The film is relatively entertaining for a one-time-only view, I guess. Also starring Joel McCrea, Zachary Scott, Douglas Kennedy, Alan Hale Sr., Dorothy Malone, and Bob Steele.

It has a good SW-touch as each of the 3 partners of the Three Bell Ranch wear a small bell on their boot-heel. Weā€™re reminded of it oftenā€¦ then at the end, during the final street-shootout, we see the three boot-heels/bells in the rising dust as the guns fire-away.

[size=10pt]Dead in Tombstone -2013- Roel ReinƩ[/size]

Mickey Rourke just found a niche market in these low budget productions, and after a few qualities films in the last years, a bit more of criteria in his work choices was to be expected, at least Trejo is used to this stuff and he even doesnā€™tā€™ get kill here, well he does, two times at least.
Actually Dead in Tombstone reminds me a lot of those under par SW, that populated our beloved genre and that we love no matter what.
Itā€™s a simple revenge story with a supernatural twist, hardworking actor Danny Trejo plays a bank robber that is double cross and kikked by his half-brother and the rest of his gang. While facing the devil (a slow talking Rourke), in the way to the purgatory, Trejo gets a fantastic deal: a few hours to kill all six man that betray him hell yeah, or an eternity in purgatory.
Making deals with the devil never a good thing but its Danny Trejo weā€™re talking about.

Itā€™s a pure bad film, without any redemption factor, well thereā€™s one I could find, just gave me the sudden will to watch DJANGO THE BASTARD, not even Trejo could escape our man Steffen.

Today:

(sings)

#As a boy!
All my thoughts were pretty boyish, as a boy!
Then something happened!
Down in my pants, my ballbags dropped, now Iā€™m a man!
And as a man!
I have to mow the lawn and pay the Sky Sports bill!
Yes, as a man!
I have to M.O.T. the Ford Focus as well!#

Something like that, anyway.

Yes, if itā€™s the overcooked ā€œAs a Man!ā€ song, it must be Texas, Adios (Baldi, 1966) and, tbh, whilst it contained a lot of the things I like to see in my Spags, it was also very traditional-looking and not particularly memorable or, dare I say, exciting. And thatā€™s strange, since itā€™s plenty violent and action-packed. Hm. Might be one of those that benefits from a second look at some stage. Franco Nero was good, and (checks their names) Jose Suarez and Livio Lorenzon in particular were excellent.

[size=8pt]*Point of order: I donā€™t really pay the Sky Sports bill, I donā€™t have Sky Sports. Iā€™ll probably be picking up the WWE Network next month but Sky Sports? No. Although tbh Iā€™m missing The Ryder Cup coverage right about now. And my Ford Focus really is going in for (ie ā€œfailingā€) its M.O.T., today.[/size]

Pistoleros (1967) - 7/10

A Pistol for Ringo (1965) - 8/10

Shango (1970) - 4/10

Adios Gringo (1965) - 7/10

Kill Them All and Come Back Alone (1968) - 6/10

Requiescant (1967) - 5/10

Arizona Colt (1966) - 7/10

Ace High (1968) - 6/10

Boot Hill (1969) - 6/10

One Damned Day at Dawn ā€¦ Django meets Sartana! (1970) - 5/10

Long Days Of Vengeance (1966) - 6/10

What do you think of the ending? ;D