The Last Western You Watched?

[quote=“tomas, post:9200, topic:141”]there surely had to be some steamboats in it
that´s always big plus for me :)[/quote]
german western what do you expect?? :smiley:

Buon Funerale Amigos!.. Paga Sartana

Longest sartana ever, it took me two days to watch it.
When I finally picked my Spanish DVD from the pile, it proved to be a defective disc. It plays alright for a while, then starts freezing again and again.
Luckily I could pick up a torrent at cinemageddon.

Not my favorite Sartana.

Annoying when that happens re freezing of a disc.

Vengeance Valley, 1951… with Burt Lancaster. Weak… very weak. Brother against step-brother. A handful of petty side-squabbles. How The West Was Distracted might’ve been a better title. There wasn’t any ‘vengeance’. That would’ve come later after the final gunfight, but dead men don’t do too much avenging.

i watched California (1977) by Michele Lupo
can´t say a bad word about it, i think it was awesome
Gemma wandering through wilderness and post-war towns, it all look like from postapocalyptic movie - great
i also liked music, different but very suitable and refreshing
good direction, i´ve seen only Occhio alla penna from Lupo so i didn´t expect miracles, but on the contrary

i also watched another Gemma flick from this late spaghetti period, Silver Saddle by Fulci, which was okay
although title song was quite annoying - nevertheless movie contains some pretty cool music stuff and Geofrey Lewis,
plenty of well-staged shootouts and kid, who is, surprisingly, not annoying - very good child actor that was

Watched Margheriti hybrid Take a hard ride, put some of my thoughts about it in the film’s thread.

Last one I saw was The Stranger’s Gundown. Very good film. Probably my favourite Steffan performance, maybe because he doesn’t have to do very much.

Where The Bullets Fly.

Not thought much of this one in the past about the adventures of a guy looking for some gold nuggets. Can safely say this is as shit as the first time round ;D .

Tonino Valeri’s DAY OF ANGER (1967).
Picture quality on the bootleg was no more than adequate at best. Wish it were better.
Wish the Wild East DVD were back in print, considering all the newcomers who want it.
This would make a good American western if it hadn’t been a good spaghetti western.
The opening titles are awful and the score is okay, if sometimes too modern for a western.
The premise of a pupil turning against his tutor is so old it would be tiresome if the script weren’t a model of story structure and restraint.
Lee Van Cleef was always better than his material, but here the material is quite good and Van Cleef is at his very best.
Now I have another title to add my list of favorite spaghetti westerns.

An over-streamlined version of the Luke Short novel, but I like it very much. A domestic drama in the west is okay with me. The western incorporates all genres – drama, melodrama, comedy, horror, action, and so on. This one is a domestic drama, and I accept it on that basis. The novel by Luke Short digs into the causes and effects of a local feud with all the jealousies and rivalries thereof. In the end, the women pay the highest price. But the film version steers away from the tragedy of the novel. It’s a fair representation of western feuds, which were common. Any western based on a Luke Short story is starting out on the right foot so far as I’m concerned. There isn’t a good DVD, unfortunately. At least the Roan Group is sourced from a dye transfer print. The color is a pleasure all to itself.

VENGEANCE VALLEY is so far removed from the spaghetti western that I’m surprised to see it mentioned here.

Richard

There are a lot of admirers of US westerns on this board. So not a surprise.

There are basically 3 types of SW fans in relation to US westerns:

There are some who never (or only very rarely) watch US westerns.

There are others who watch US westerns, but not the older ones (before 1960).

Finally there are the ones who like all sorts of westerns (like me).

[quote=“Richard–W, post:9209, topic:141”]Tonino Valeri’s DAY OF ANGER (1967).

…The opening titles are awful and the score is okay, if sometimes too modern for a western…

Richard[/quote]

Couldn’t disagree more.
I love the opening titles to this film and sometimes pop the film in the machine just to watch them alone as a pick me up.
And the score is one of my all time favourites.

[quote=“Stanton, post:9210, topic:141”]There are a lot of admirers of US westerns on this board. So not a surprise.

There are basically 3 types of SW fans in relation to US westerns:

Finally there are the ones who like all sorts of westerns (like me).[/quote]

I belong to the third group. I actually prefer fifties westerns to the SW influenced (directly or indirectly) of the late sixties, early seventees.
Some great films were made in this late period, but overall film makers seemed a bit too concerned with this idea about the end of the West and men making their last stand, preferably in ultra-bloody fashion.

The second group relates to me which Stanton mentions. Generally speaking I tend not to view any genre of film before the 1960’s. Especially like the more violent U.S westerns that came along, and often prefer to alot of Spaghetti westerns that were made in the 70’s.

The American westerns made in the early seventies, were definitely better than the Italian westerns made in that period.
But I think the westerns made in the fifties and early sixties, at least the best of them, are better thans those made in the late sixties, early seventies (again taking the better movies). But that’s of course personal, and preferences may vary over the years. I used to prefer the later, modern (dirtier, more violent) American westerns, but after rewatching many favorites over the last two, three years, I have changed my mind.

Yes, I have noticed your change.

[quote=“Richard–W, post:9209, topic:141”]Tonino Valeri’s DAY OF ANGER (1967).
The opening titles are awful and the score is okay, if sometimes too modern for a western.[/quote]

i also disagree - and to say that it is too modern for a western? erhm, common…

i´m more surprised that you said something like that - plenty of forum members posts their minireviews about 50´s westerns
you just didn´t notice

[quote=“Stanton, post:9210, topic:141”]There are basically 3 types of SW fans in relation to US westerns:

Finally there are the ones who like all sorts of westerns (like me).[/quote]

i would be in the second category, but from time to time i watch some 50´s western (it is more or less a matter of chance)

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:9214, topic:141”]The American westerns made in the early seventies, were definitely better than the Italian westerns made in that period.
But I think the westerns made in the fifties and early sixties, at least the best of them, are better than those made in the late sixties, early seventies (again taking the better movies). But that’s of course personal, and preferences may vary over the years. I used to prefer the later, modern (dirtier, more violent) American westerns, but after rewatching many favorites over the last two, three years, I have changed my mind.[/quote]

For me the best westerns were made between 1965 and 1976. A top 10 would mostly include films from that phase.
But there are also lots of great westerns from between 1939 and the mid 60s. But they are often too much harmed in parts by the typical Hollywood baloney of those years.

i watched Yankee (1966) by Tinto Brass
i had absolutely no idea about what it is going to be
and it turned out to be a very entertaining SW with good score, inventive scenes and fine cast -
i didn´t know what to think about Philipe Leroy, when movie started, but then, he brought a good unusual performance
and dialogues between him and Grand Concho (Adolfo Celi) were really a pure joy to watch

That’s me as well; a great Western is a great Western, no matter who made it or which country it came from.