The Last Western You Watched?

Five Savage Men aka The Animals ( 1970) cheap and shoddy western that was made a year before the similar plotted and better film " Hannie Caulder" where a schoolteacher is taken from a stagecoach by robbers who have their way with her, then strip her naked and leave her staked out. she is rescued by an indian, who brings her back to health and accompanies her when she hunts down the five men and kills them. stars: Michele Carey, Henry Silva, Keenen Wynn, John Anderson, Joseph Turkel. 4/10

Re viewed Drummer of Vengeance.

A man on the revenge path for the people who killed his family. Made in the 70’s, but no comedy in this one. Makes a change for a 70’s one, as so many were just a bit to silly. Viewing a better print you notice Craig Hill. Lot of killings before you know fully what is going on, but this is a simple revenge story. Yet another western that uses some of the score from The Hellbenders. The U.K video title of this one is An Eye for an Eye, which sums the film up.

And God Said To Cain My public domain print was terribly dark, but the story shone through, I thought. Really enjoyed the film, and liked seeing Kinski in (an anti) hero role for once!

Ulzana.

Things are going well for a group of indians, till the greed of the white man steps in. Mainly about the relationship between the Indians and some soldiers at a fort. Things are pretty civil to start with between them both, probably a bit to much for a cynic like me. Things change though, but for the most part this film is all about talking and not much direct action till the end of the film. Film is ok in a story that has been told many times before and better.

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:9181, topic:141”]Ulzana.

Things are going well for a group of indians, till the greed of the white man steps in. Mainly about the relationship between the Indians and some soldiers at a fort. Things are pretty civil to start with between them both, probably a bit to much for a cynic like me. Things change though, but for the most part this film is all about talking and not much direct action till the end of the film. Film is ok in a story that has been told many times before and better.[/quote]

Being such a cynic, you’ll love the prequel better: Apachen, Blutige Rahe

Devil’s Doorway (Mann / 1950)

Anthony Mann’s first western and one that is deserving far more recognition than it gets in my opinion. A tale of racial prejudice and the plight of the Indian in the post civil war west this film was a pioneer in terms of its treatment of the Indian in westerns yet seems to have been largely forgotten and overshadowed by Delmer Daves’ similarly sympathetic film, Broken Arrow, released the same year. This is a great pity because Mann’s film in many ways is far more hard hitting on the topic and cleverly places its Native protagonist in a familiar, white man’s position as landowner and rancher faced with encroaching homesteaders instead of as a noble savage trying to hold onto a traditional way of life. By ‘westernising’ the hero’s position his ill treatment and the racist laws that defeat him are thrown into a stark spotlight. As an Indian he is not a citizen and therefore is excluded from the homestead act legislation so whites can stake claims on his ranch land while he cannot. With the law working against him and a racist attorney hell bent on stirring up trouble it is obviously not long before our man reverts to force and things go from bad to worse.

Apparently this film was due for release a year earlier but was held back by the studio because they were worried how it would be received only to bring it out the following year on the coat tails of the success of the afore mentioned Broken Arrow. With Mann at the helm it is no surprise that the film is intelligently handled and looks great. Robert Taylor ‘blacked up’ in the lead role does a far better job than you might expect and the support cast all do a fine job. If you like Mann’s westerns and you’d like some evidence that American film makers were asking tough questions about the Indian’s place in the western as well as American history in general way before the revisionist work of the 60s and 70s you could do a lot worse than giving this film a whirl.

Have viewed that one a while back. Remember liking that one better. My memory gets a bit hazy at times with all these German westerns I have viewed :stuck_out_tongue: .

[quote=“Cheyenne, post:9144, topic:141”]Just watched a new flick called Gunless with Paul Gross (The Mountie from the TV series Due South).
Kind of a funny/serious flick filmed in Canada. Something different for a change. Really well filmed with
great costumes and great scenery. If you haven’t seen it check out gunless.ca[/quote]

ah yes gunless is a good canadian western ehh! and paul gross was wonderful a the montana kid (as my avatar shows im a huge paul gross fan)

MAY GOD FORGIVE YOU BUT I WON’T 1968
good spaghetti western and my last of dragomir vojanic SWs
good music, some great action, good ending but not soo cool like so many others
i never like peter martel actor before, somehow fits into this
my rating 3.5/5

[quote=“Bluntwolf, post:4996, topic:141”]Guns for San Sebastian

Interesting flic with a message (I think!?)…

Anthony Quinn is great in this one.[/quote]

-Just saw it again. I like it more-and-more through the years. Quinn is simply fantastic, rippling with hair-trigger temperament. -Especially in his humble-pacifist mode to hoodwink the villagers. The chemistry between he and Bronson is like nitro-and-petrol. The attack on the village is spectacular… strings of mini-scenes, each containing multi dynamite-explosions. The dam-flood battle is realistic too. Vengeful bloodlust literally watered-down by raging torrents. It’s a true classic.

Taggart" (1964)
-Tony Young, Dan Duryea

Plot: IMDB
Newly arrived settlers are attacked by local ranch owner Ben Blazer and his men. Kent Taggart sees his parents killed by Blazer’s son, whom he tracks home. Taggart kills the boy in front of Blazer, himself dying of a wound, who then puts a price of $5,000 on Taggart’s head, an offer enthusiastically taken up by ruthless killer Jason. Taggart has no option but to head out into hostile Apache country followed by Jason and other no-goods.

Phantom’s Review: Based on a novel by Louis L’Amour, this is a solid well made western film. You might call it a “B+” movie. Solid direction,good cast and a wonderful story. Tony Young is good as the quintessential western hero. A square jawed man of few words, and Dan Duryea is great as the fast talking hired gunman out to get our hero. With Plenty of action. This a fine way to spend a movie watching afternoon.

[quote=“Phantom Stranger, post:9188, topic:141”]Taggart" (1964)
-Tony Young, Dan Duryea

Phantom’s Review: Based on a novel by Louis L’Amour, this is a solid well made western film. You might call it a “B+” movie. Solid direction,good cast and a wonderful story. Tony Young is good as the quintessential western hero. A square jawed man of few words, and Dan Duryea is great as the fast talking hired gunman out to get our hero. With Plenty of action. This a fine way to spend a movie watching afternoon.
–[/quote]

I only had a minor logistical problem… a luxurious, or spacious villa at the ‘top’ of a mountain, surrounded by taller mountains, with a narrow path leading to it, yet having a sizeable horse-corral. -With a mine nearby. The path was strung by a rope with a pots-and-pans security-system, but when the characters fled, they used an unguarded back-‘road’.

i watched Killer Kid (1967) by Leopoldo Savona
Ugh. Very boring movie to me. Although it certainly has good direction (but little sloppy in action scenes),
Sancho is funny and Steffen ok with his winchester tricks, i just almost fell asleep :-
i liked Gentleman Killer a lot better, but only because of unusual ending in GK - that was really great

For me the other way round. Gentleman Jo (which is Gentleman Killer, yes?) is the sleep inducer, while Killer Kid is entertaining stuff for greater parts of its runtime (but in no way a great film)

Gentleman has some lullaby potential, can´t argue with that, and it´s almost like two different movies -
if the whole Gentleman was like last twenty-thirty minutes, in which Steffen is totally drunk (almost like some stuff from El Puro) and he is beaten up by thughs, and subsequently they are going to execute him, but mexican army arrive to the rescue (all this with wonderful music), it could be my TOP 20 SW - but instead GK is just mediocre western with great ending (for me)

that´s why i like it more than Killer Kid, in which i can´t find some scene that would have approached me on the deeper level

Just re viewed Gentleman Killer recently and prefer to Killer Kid. Makes a change seeing Steffen without his stuble and not rolling around the floor as much.

Ah, i love this! Prefer Killer Kid over GJ.

also the story in Killer Kid wasn´t very engaging for me and lacked some good villain
GK has Fajardo´s great performance as mexican bandit - very entertaining :smiley:

Fajardo really gets into the part with his super big hat :smiley: .

in Killer Kid he rolls around like no one :wink: