The Last Western You Watched? ver.2.0

You’re right

BRIMSTONE - Very bleak story with an unorthodox narrative. Guy Pearce’s character is perversion personified. It’s a tiny bit overlong, but it’s gets more and more interesting as the events unfold. Recommended for those who want to try something different in the genre. 7+/10

It’s different alright, dark and unsettling to say the least. Yes it’s a bit overlong like you said but the film has to be seen for ( Guy Pearce ) alone, he was good as the psychotic Reverend. Some scenes will stick with you for days, like the “pig” one for an example. So, all and all, not bad.

I watched first episode of Lonesome Dove yesterday. So far it’s been good.
I was about to watch Million Ways to Die in West today. I think I watched one complete minute and changed back to Lonesome Dove.

Seven years in the making: Bad_Lieutenant started a thread on it in May 2009. I hope Koolhoven’s Western will find its way to theaters in Vienna.

Is it really the same movie we’re talking about?

“Ugly,” Koolhoven’s lighthearted take on the Spaghetti Western genre co-written by the director and Robert Fusco, begins shooting in the spring. The script revolves around a gang of misfit cowboys, led by brothers Red and Bobby, who accidentally steal a side-show freak – the “ugly” of the title – and begin showing her around the Wild West for money.

Brimstone’s far from a lighthearted take on SW and the plot obviously changed a bit. Either way, I’m glad the final version was what I saw and not something else.

The initial project obviously evolved over the years into Brimstone. At least that’s how I understood it.

Talking about huge steps of evolution… It’s almost a completely different movie than the one described above.

Yes, you’re right. Could be we’re talking about two different film projects here. The first one, working title (The) Ugly, was abandoned, the second one was Brimstone. “Evolution” wouldn’t be the right word then. Maybe @Bad_Lieutenant has more information …

Watching The Big Gundown right now. Definitely watching Traffic (Soderbergh, 2000) later - not that that’s a western, of course - and, in between, I’m going to see if I can fit in at least one more Tomas Milian film; Django Kill or Companeros, hopefully.

Showdown at Abilene. Really pretty good. Whereas The True Story of Jesse James is a lame movie.

An oldie but a goodie (well, it’s not a great movie but it’s a very entertaining one), Audie & the Ladies fight off an Indian attack in The Guns of Fort Petticoat:

Al Este Del Oeste.

Two strangers arrive in town and one has been hired by the town to protect them from the local bad guys. A comedy western from the 80’s with a few Spaghetti regulars, which is really silly in a good way though and really takes the piss of westerns. It works, as long as the main characters do not iritate you ( I suspect they will annoy a few viewers) and just enjoyed what the filmakers were going to take the piss out of next.

Didn’t have anything to do today, so I watched The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and then decided to watch A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More. That’s my day so far. :slight_smile:

Sounds like the PERFECT day, to me.:slight_smile:

Definitely. I might watch some more spaghettis tonight.

The Glory Guys (1965)
Seen this many years ago on regular TV in fullscreen and remember that i liked it. So, recently i re-watched this again via a very nice Blu-ray print and the film looks very good. As for the film itself, well it was a pretty good cavalry western with enough action that never fails to entertain. The cast was decent and it’s well acted.

Great finale, rest of the movie only so so imo

My take on it:

More than 2/3 of the film is wasted on silly barroom brawls, romances that don’t go anywhere, uninteresting military training and James Caan cleaning the manure from the stable. It takes a lot of patience to reach to the end, which I found great compared to the rest of the movie, but not great in general. The film overstays its welcome by at least 30 minutes.

1 Like

^ Yeah, well, different strokes for different folks.