The Last Western You Watched? ver.2.0

I re-watched ‘Rio Bravo’ recently, and it’s still very enjoyable … but, Ricky Nelson, what a dreadful actor and a really obnoxious cocky character … I think we are supposed to like him, and Wayne’s character gives him the breaks … but he really sucks. :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Stanton’s Wayne:

• True Grit - 10/10
    Scherp: 7/10
    Stan: 9

• Man Who Shot Liberty Valance 8/10
    Scherp: 9½ / 10
    Stan: 8

• War Wagon - 6/10
    Scherp: 6/10
    Stan: 6

• Chisum - 4/10
    Scherp: 5/10
    Stan: 3 (on a good day)

• El Dorado - 7-8/10
    Scherp: 9/10

• Rio Lobo - 7-8/10
    Stan: 6

• The Undefeated - 9/10
    Scherp: 5/10
    Stan: 4

• Hondo - 8/10
    Stan: 7

• The Searchers - 9/10
    Scherp: 8/10
    Stan: 8,5

• Rio Bravo - 8/10
    Scherp: 10/10

2 Likes

Is there Wayne’s western, which would get 10/10 from you? @stanton

Not bad, Stan :wink:

Buffalo Bill and the Indians, or Sitting Bull’s History Lesson - 7/10
Seraphim Falls - 7/10
La morte non conta i dollari - 6/10

No.

As much as I like the films of Ford and Hawks, which are easily Wayne’s most important directors, but both never made a perfect film, even the best have some basic flaws. That makes them kinda overrated for me, on a high level though.

Another 9/10 is Fort Apache, but this is Henry Fonda’s film.

1 Like

Watching A Genius, Two Partners and a Dupe tonight. I wouldn’t say it’s anywhere close to as good as the first Nobody film. Nice music by Ennio Morricone, though. Nice appearance by Klaus Kinski.

1 Like

Recently watched The Hunting Party
Was on my list for a very long time. Somehow it did not live up to my expectations.

But a Hunting party? After the first real shoot there are only 2 left. Not really a party.
And I did not understand why the movie ends the way it did. Living happily ever after is not always necessary but was there no alternative?
A good score. A bit itoo much n the background.

… and hideous rear-projection shots – in 1971!

2 Likes

To be honest, I tought the story had a bit of face to face. Frank changed like Beauregard from criminal, even left his guns behind.
Brandt on the other hand remains a bastard.

Yeah, I always quite liked the film actually… although its been a long time since my last viewing and things change. But I still have yet to read the comics, so I never had this problem

Its funny, I love the song now and it was easily one of my favorite things in the film on last viewing. But I remember always finding it completely ridiculous in the past. I mean, I still find it ridiculous, but also great

If you happen to know of the band Behemoth, I guess the lead man was heavily influenced by this film’s theme for his side project, Me and That Man

2 Likes

Good assessment, Autephex. Mannaja’s theme song is so novel that it’s initially hard to classify based on what most are accustomed to hearing. The Good, Bad, and The Ugly theme has similar innovative peculiarity that’s widely appreciated yet too unique to spawn definitive equivalents.

Guido & Maurizio De Angelis’ Goodbye My Friend was my first exposure to their music and has a similar feel. I visualized a broken-down, drunken lounge singer crooning(or slurring) barely understandable broken-English to the point that it felt like an offbeat novelty song. At the same time I thought it was great and one of the elements I most associated with and remember from Street Law.

I like that music video you posted. :+1:

1 Like

Final verdict, Tremors 4 is a western. * gavel slam! *

Invitation to a Gunfighter
The Tall T
both very good

1 Like

Few spaghs watched during the holidays, here are the results:

15 Scaffolds For A Killer - I had high hopes for this one because it got one of the coolest sw titles ever, but you know what? Never trust a spaghie with a cool title!

Karambola - basically, two guys imitating the other two. Quite funny at times, first half better. It contains the epic milk drinking scene of which I thought was in some Spencer/Hill effort.

1000 Dollari Sul Nero - Not bad, but I somehow didn’t like Garko’s performance that much. Plenty of interesting scenes can be found, I really liked when bros’ mother went with a rifle into the massacre and it was filmed in one long shot.

John Il Bastardo - Nice theme song. I somewhat expected more, but it was quite interesting anyway, the casanova gunslinger antihero is definitely a genre addition I would work with if I was a sw director, although the result would be a bit different.

Bastards Go And Kill Chaco - This was one of the most boring spaghs ever. There is not a single scene I would want to watch again. Last 20 minutes I simply put fastforeward to use on some occassions. There’s really nothing, not even good music, just some Rustichelli’s bits from another movie. This one easily went to my Bottom 20.

Tre Pistole Kontra Cezare - Fastforwarding like a motherf&@$er. Bottom 20 stuff for sure.

I actually like these Coby/Smith rip offs. You do have to be in the mood though.

Johnny Oro - didn’t expect much, didn’t get much. Easily put on the shelf with weaker Corbucci’s spaghies like Minesota Clay, What am i doing in the middle of revolution and Black, Yellow, Pink. There’s not much to talk about really. 1/5

Hanging Judge (1973) - a tortilla western with Hugo Stiglitz, ultracheap, but, wait for it, I didn’t use fastforward at all. The movie reminds El Topo in some scenes when it tries to go metaphysical, but it tries too perfunctorily to be a real deal in this manner. But, it is somewhat interesting in its slightly unusual structure and creative use of camera angles. 3/5

Thy Your Neighbor - pretty weak effort by a director who gave us such miracles as Blindman or Get Mean :wink: . Doesn’t really feel like Baldi’s movie actually. Final showdown with dynamite throwing is a more baldisque than rest of the film, but since I learned you can’t blow dynamite by shooting at it, I always cringe a little when something like that happens. 2/5

1 Like

Godless
We have a free month of Netflix so I took the oppurtunity for a re-watch of the series. With no surprises the serie still stands out to me with some strong characters and beautiful scenery and locations. All buildings look authentic.
I think there are a lot of influences from western movies underneath the skin of the series.

What!?!
I don’t believe it. You mean Castellari was lying? :scream::scream::scream: