The Last Western You Watched? ver.2.0

He’s humiliated, his wife is raped, his best friend is killed and his home is destroyed and you find it uplifting? Pretty gloomy film for me.

1 Like

I meant the film as a statement, its message, not the story. But you’re right, “uplifting” was a very bad word choice.

1 Like

You guys have me curious now, will have to give this a watch. Always been a fan of Brock Peters.

1 Like

It’s watchable, but definitely downbeat, as I remember.

Saw it about 10 years ago and haven’t gone back since.

2 Likes

Watched The Tall T this evening - part of the Five Tall Tales Budd Boetticher & Randolph Scott At Columbia 1957-1960 Blu-ray set.

Last saw it on B/W TV, so great to revisit it in such great shape on a big screen. Looking forward to the other four and lots of interesting supplementary material.

1 Like

The Searchers (1956)

“You got yourself a wife, sonny!”

So I watched finally this US classic piece of art, and honestly, I can’t really say I understand what’s the fuzz about. It is one of the best John Wayne’s vehicles (of what I’ve seen so far), that’s for sure, but I’m also sure, it won’t get any near my US TOP 20. Anyway, I was surprised by an amount of good humour the movie contained - yes, there is some cringey factor present, but not that much. I bursted out laughing in some scenes. That indian woman kicking out of the bed, you don’t see such a politically incorrect content in movies nowadays. :smiley: Surprisingly I enjoyed also a romantic line beetween Martin and Laurie, that was well-written and well-acted.

So, I would give it 8 out of 10.

And in what JW’s western was that blood-dripping scene? I have to watch that one too.

2 Likes

My favourite line is when Scar says to Ethan “YOU SPEAK GOOD COMANCHE. SOMEONE TEACH YOU??”

3 Likes

A good movie, but it’s not my favourite Ford-Wayne western. That would be Fort Apache or The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Actually I do not like the comedy in this movie. Ford’s sense of humor is often very silly, more vaudeville than cinema, and it hurts this movie more than, for instance, the Cavalry westerns, where the vaudeville-like moments are mostly limited to the scenes set within the army fort.

1 Like

I liked that one, haven’t seen the other one yet.

What do you mean?

Big Jake was rather bloody, but I do not remember a scene that could be characterized especially as a ‘blood-dripping scene’

I remember that scene from some JW western I caught once in tv. They were investigating something in town and I believe it was in a saloon when blood started to drip from above on somebody.

When I think about it, was it really John Wayne movie? :sweat_smile:

That’s Rio Bravo, the famous saloon scene with Dean Martin. Must be on You Tube

Voilà:

I thought it must be famous. :thinking:

I set a goal to myself to watch ten Duke’s westerns and with yesterdays’ watch of Rio Bravo I accomplished the task. Here are the results:

1. True Grit - 10/10
  2. Man Who Shot Liberty Valance 8/10
  3. War Wagon - 6/10
  4. Chisum - 4/10
  5. El Dorado - 7-8/10
  6. Rio Lobo - 7-8/10
  7. The Undefeated - 9/10
  8. Hondo - 8/10
  9. The Searchers - 9/10
  10. Rio Bravo - 8/10

Three Howard Hawks’ pictures are most confusing. They are so similar in some parts that I was constantly in doubts if I had seen Rio Bravo or not, or just the blood dripping scened. Thankfuly, my journal backed me up in this. To be honest, can’t remember much of El Dorado and Rio Lobo and I watched both a year or so ago, but it didn’t have the impact on me I expected.

Rio Lobo is a nice film, but the other 2 are far superior.

I hope you can’t remember much from The Undefeated either … :wink:

Well, you could try some of the Ford westerns, and The Sons of Katie Elder should be fun for you too. And don’t forget The Shootist.

I actually liked that one a lot. I’ve seen it with Rio Lobo and El Dorado, and still remember it well, it was somehow more interesting for me. Although Undefeated is not that popular among Duke’s fans, I guess.

1 Like

OK, here we go

• True Grit - 10/10
    My vote: 7/10
  • Man Who Shot Liberty Valance 8/10
    My Vote: 9½ / 10
  • War Wagon - 6/10
    My vote: 6/10
  • Chisum - 4/10
    My Vote 5/10
  • El Dorado - 7-8/10
    My Vote: 9/10
  • Rio Lobo - 7-8/10
    My Vote 7/10
  • The Undefeated - 9/10
    My Vote: 5/10
  • Hondo - 8/10
    My Vote: 7/10
  • The Searchers - 9/10
    My Vote: 8/10
  • Rio Bravo - 8/10
    My Vote 10/10

As I thought.

I might give it 9/10, for it was first of the three, but it was just so f@#$ing overlong, and ending could be better. Just some shooting and dynamite throwing? Really? That’s all?

Pffff, now I have to watch them all over again

1 Like