The Last Western You Watched? ver.2.0

Massively under the radar considering it came out the same year as Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, co-starred both Redford and Katherine Ross, yet I hadn’t heard about it until about a week ago when it became a suggested video for me on Youtube(had only seen the Blake thumbnail). I didn’t even know it co-starred Redford and Ross until I clicked the above link a few minutes ago. I’ll check it out.

I’ll have to watch Willie Boy soon. It’s been years since the last time I watched it. I remember it being an enjoyable film.

Not too bad but there are better ones about the OK corral shootout

I was a little underwhelmed when I first saw this, but I think it improves with repeated viewings.
Harris Yulin’s portrayal of Earp as a thoroughly dislikeable and arrogant oaf is interesting … and the relationship between Earp and Holliday is much less ‘buddy buddy’ than in some versions.

I have a special interest as it was filmed in Almeria on the Leone FAFDM ‘El Paso’ set, which looks great in this one as a bustling wild west town. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Just saw Bone Tomahawk. Good stuff!

Apparently the best western since Unforgiven? I haven’t seen many recent westerns but it definitely impressed me. The Indians looked like the Tree People from Cannibal Holocaust.

I’d give Bone Tomahawk an 11/10 as far as iconic imagery associated with promoting the movie. The spiked skull is off the charts.

I’ve heard good things about the director’s 2nd film Brawl in Cell Block 99.SY445

Finally saw In a Valley of Violence. Not bad

One of my favourite westerns regardless of its inaccuracies. The acting is fantastic.

200px-Amigosblukoch-200px-Killallkochblu

Very nice picture quality on these two BluRay’s.

While some of you don’t care much for these two Spagh’s,… i do. It’s entertaining and that’s what counts on my book.

3 Likes

I like 'em! :grinning:

1 Like

I really like A Sky Full of Stars, and I can’t get over how bad that caricature of Gemma is on the cover ^ :smile:

2 Likes

That’s all that counts. Ever. :+1:

1 Like

Actually it’s not all that counts, but the most important point of those who count.

And my main problem with Kill Them All is, that it is for most of its runtime not entertaining, but instead pretty boring.

A Sky Full of Stars is entertaining, but the entertainment value is not that high. But I’m sure most here like this one more than I do.

I think I won’t buy both.

I’m curious stanton, how many would that be on your book…5…15…25?:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Yes it is. :+1:

I like how endearingly upfront Kill Them All is about its content. It’s an innocuous piece of dumb entertainment - no superfluous, pretentious semblance of grandeur of any sort, no bullshit. What you see is what you get basically. It is entertaining enough in my book, nothing grand, but adequate. Seen it once, thus take it for what it’s worth. Not planning on revisiting it any time soon.

A Sky Full of Stars is just okay in my view. The only thing I remember about it is the great opening scene, the rest isn’t all that memorable.

A Sky Full of Stars reminds me of Alive or Preferably Dead…

both featuring Gemma and tends to be comedic a little bit…… I enjoyed both.

Yes, but A Sky Full of Stars is a much better movie (and a better combination of a lighthearted and a more melancholic approach)

Alive or Preferably Dead is mainly a comedy (and a clear forerunner of the Trinity films), and for that different from A Sky Full of Stars, which is a western with comedy elements.

Both are ok, but not that good. Alive gets 4/10 and A Sky 5/10.

Mannaja, A Man Called Blade - there are a lot of things wrong about this film but for some reason its always stayed at the top of my most favorite to watch

3 Likes