The Last Western You Watched? ver.2.0

(tomas) #321

No. The scene when a trap pulls a henchman up in the air and other henchman panicks and shoots him. And then other henchman tells him “hey, that was one of ours”, but they are so unexcited about it, it is ridiculous. Can’t remember what was the other scene…

(Wilco Vedder) #322

Yesterday I watched Hostiles in the cinema.
I have some mixed feelings about the movie. Settings, details and imaging looked great and also the acting was very well. But the story missed something IMO.

(Spoiler alert)

I understood that Blocker had a past and he changed during the trip he made with one of his worst enemies. But that is just the point; the basics why the change took place towards his enemy I could not find in the movie.
There are some minor discussions, a shared fight with some trappers (but you do not see them fight, you only see them enter a different tent). All in all not enough for a convincing change of mind towards his enemy.
The way Blocker lived his soldier life is on the other hand well balanced given

The trip they made and the scenery was beautiful filmed.

(alk0) #323

Westerns and quasi westerns I’ve seen since my last visit here (august 2017):

El charro de las calaveras [The Rider of the Skulls] (1965) - 5/10
Quel maledetto giorno d’inverno… Django e Sartana all’ultimo sangue [Django Meets Sartana] (1970) - 6/10
White Fang (1991) - 7/10
The Last Wagon (1956) - 7/10
Wilcze echa (1968) - 8/10
Firecreek (1968) - 6/10
Prawo i pięść [The Law and the Fist] (1964) - 8/10
Yellow Sky (1948) - 7/10
Cowboys & Aliens (2011) - 5/10

(JonathanCorbett) #324

The connection is Musolino, not Mulargia.

(tomas) #325

Hmmmmmm. So he was writer for those two previous crapspaghs Mulargia directed. There he got skills…

(JonathanCorbett) #326

Writer, producer and main villain in Don’t Wait, Django… Shoot :slightly_smiling_face:

(tomas) #327

Musolino and Mulargia, the creators of so-called “waiting spaghetti”, a subgenre within a subgenre.

(James Flessas ) #328

Ciakmull_-_L'uomo_della_vendetta

Maverick (1994)

With the exception of the opening scene, looking heavily Spaghetti influenced, this was a real waste of time. Unfunny threadbare storyline, and a slightly embarrassing look at former Western TV series Stars, who don’t quite know what to do with themselves as extras.
1 out of 5 and that’s for Coburn’s appearance :monkey::sauropod::monkey:

(tomas) #330

Oh my, monkeys and dino? Really? I haven’t seen this in a while, but always thought about it as a okay movie of the nineties westerns.

I picked up a DVD copy in a charity shop for next to nothing, and thought it would be ok for a Sunday afternoon … I’d actually forgotten that I saw this 24 years ago in the cinema - I must have just erased this from the memory banks.

It seems it was a big budget movie … which must have been for the A list actor’s fees, but even with epic vistas and production value, it still comes over as thrown together, make it up as we go along.

‘Maverick’ has to raise $25,000 to enter a poker tournament and some one doesn’t want him there … various obstacles are put in his way, which are supposed to be breath taking and hilarious, but they’re not.

There are lots of guest appearances from well known character actors of the western genre, but they come across as a bunch of out of work has beens, rather than icons of an earlier era. A bit sad :weary:

(scherpschutter) #332

I always thought it was okay too, until I saw it again a couple of years ago. I discovered that it was a pretty boring movie with a few scattered good moments

(Stanton) #333

Yeah, Maverick had surprisingly far less to offer for me than expected. It was indeed a bit boring.

(tomas) #334

Maverick

Since I have doubts about Maverick being awful movie as recently suggested I rewatched the whole thing. As I expected it was quite alright. Not every joke shoots straight, but I found it entertaining most of the time. 1 out of 5? Ridiculous. More like 3,5 out of 5 in my book.

(Wilco Vedder) #335

Django Il Bastardo.

One of the first SW’s I saw, must have been 30 years ago. Brought back memories of the first “Video 2000” system. Top loader with tapes that could be used at both sides. This system never failed us but went obsolete due to lack of tapes. The best video system available then. Sadly replaced by VHS. First time we were not depending upon tv broadcast-ed programs anymore. Something that is now unthinkable

The movie still stands. Watched it on Youtube as I could not find a decent version.
Still looking for an English dubbed affordable movie. would love to have this one in my collection.

RetroVision put out a really good quality DVD of it.

(Wilco Vedder) #337

Thanks.
Unfortunately it looks like this one is Region 1, doesn’t play at my BR player :disappointed_relieved:

I can not find a way to get it multi region, also not for DVD’s.

Nope, it’s region free. I’ve just checked my copy.

(Wilco Vedder) #339

Good news.
I found a nice priced copy at Amazon.UK. Now let’s see if there is a link from this site for the necessary funding :rofl:

I watched The Great Silence in Italian with English Subs this morning. Such a fantastic film. Beautiful cinematography in the dolomites; and the firelit scenes in the alpine cabins and saloons are breathtaking. The one moment in the film where Silence throws the match into Tigreros whiskey thimble; and the camera moves up from the extreme close up of the hands gripping the glass - to the disturbing close up of Kinski’s manic eyes, seen dimly through the light of a gas lamp, off screen. That is just phenomenal - and a standout example of the extreme and wild visual aesthetic of the whole genre. It only lasts about 3 seconds, but it stays with you forever. A real classic, not just of the Spaghetti Western, but of cinema. For a film with such an extremely low budget, it does extremely well.
Next two Westerns I have on my list were shot on even lower budgets - BLACK JACK and THE RUTHLESS FOUR. Can’t wait :slight_smile: