The Last Western You Watched? ver.2.0

The flashback scenes work better when rewatching the movie. The first time they were so confusing that I thought there was something wrong with the disc (it happens that dirty discs make small or bigger jumps). I guess they were meant to be a little confusing, in order to unsettle viewers and make them more alert (a technique that French directors like for instance Godard often used), but it all felt a bit clumsy. I do have the idea that Tommy Lee is a better actor than director, and that he is not very good at directing himself

I really like The Homesman. It’s not a rootin’, tootin’, shootin’ actioner by any means but it’s pretty vicious in its own, more cerebral way. I can see how it might not be for everyone, however.

1 Like

The last one I watched was called FISTFUL OF LEAD, not the George Hilton one. It was made a couple of years ago.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, I liked that aspect of it and thought there was a better film here than was achieved. I just didn’t think it was handled very well.

What’d ya think? I just watched the George Hilton one again as part of my recent Sartana viewing and saw this new movie when I looked up the old one. But it didn’t look too promising

Four of the West’s most infamous outlaws carry out a daring bank heist in the gold-rush town, Bath Water. As the posse takes chase, things take a turn for the worse, as the bandits realize they’ve been double-crossed - but by who?
Erm, engaging, but the cast were a mixed bunch. OMG millennial types. I appreciate the humour in it. No Leone, but you you could do worse. 6/10

Might be nice to (re-)watch The Homesman on Blu-ray soon. I remember I really liked it when I saw it upon its theatrical release four or five years ago. Tommy Lee Jones’s first big-screen directorial effort, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, wasn’t too bad either.

1 Like

Not one of my go to"s!
It has to be the loudest John Ford film on record. Everyone screams at each other!

Welcome Bob I have only been a member for 11 days and can say you will definitely enjoy being part of the community! :cowboy_hat_face:

Welcome both :grinning:

Did a rewatch of The professionals.
Nice buddy movie. Only the Robert Ryan character is a flaw. Not much animal care at the mission they had to make.
But overall very entertaining with a top cast

I’ve watched Samuel Fuller’s I shot Jesse James and The Baron of Arizona.

I shot Jesse James is an amazing film being his directorial debut and is an interesting take on the James legend.

The Baron of Arizona is for me boring. Just some guy committing fraud to rule over Arizona as it’s Baron. Sounds interesting but watching the film leaves alot to be desire.

Great movie Elmer, lots of Spaghetti influences on that one, but comes out very American but not traditionalist.

I know the titles but I haven’t seen them. Whenever I hear the name Jesse James I remember seeing the Brad Pitt movie and the bloke in front of me falling asleep! When he started snoring the theatre erupted into laughter!!

How dare he! The Assassination of Jesse James is probably one of the greatest westerns to come out in recent times.

2 Likes

I was OK with it, it was a strong script I’m just not a fan of Pitt. But over the last ten years some great westerns have come out.
I have to tell you this. When the true Grit remake came out there was a near walk out!!

Damn any reason why. I’ve only watched the original True Grit which I enjoyed.

Jeff Bridges accent and that alone. It is funny to me because I come from the North of England where we have very distinct accents Even I struggle to understand folk from the other side of town!!
But Jeff’s southern drawl is a bit too thick. The original is a much better film. The Duke made the role of Cogburn his own. Nobody could best him.

You said that before.
But how possible it is that a US film made in 1966 could be influenced by Spags? And by which?

A genre nobody cared for in the USA before the Leone films were released there, and they were not released there before 1967.

Brooks’ film was very successful, here in Germany much more than the most successful Spags released in these years (FoD, FaFDM, Djangos with Nero), and I’m sure it was in fact The Professionals which had some influence on later SWs.

Yeah, this guy Beaumont he doent’t know what he’s talking about, to me he’s a phoney, more like a troll.

Sorry Stanton you pointed out the glaringly bad typo. It should have said lots of influence on SW.
You are right. After viewing it again I could see your point, my own comments on similarities being coincidental.
The Professionals with its Mexican Civil War setting is used as a counter-culture meaning for the free thinking 60s youth audience. It challenges the tradition of westerns to that point, bringing the civil rights movement to the table, embodied by Woody Strode.
Jack Palace the archetypal western villain here plays a cerebral, heroic figure as Jesus Raza. Raza means People in Spanish. The character being a flawed saviour to the Mexican people.
The Professionals themselves pose the question of the dubious values of the hired guns and the unscrupulous paymaster who cheats and manipulates to get his way.

I can assure you that I don’t live under a bridge waiting for Billy goats.