The Last Western You Watched? ver.2.0

Any similarities apart from the snow totally escaped me Dean.

A snowy western I did enjoy recently is Day of the Outlaw (1959) - 4/5

1 Like

I will check it out.

McCabe and Mrs.Miller is just like TGS a seminal western, and is meanwhile often viewed as one of the genre’s most important films. Alas not for me, and I prefer TGS, which should have a similar reputation, and which is for me one of the most important westerns, more than McCabe and Mrs.Miller.

Apart from both being rather pessimistic and unusual westerns in a snowy setting, I don’t see that much connections between both. Altman’s film has more fleshed out characters, is created to work against the genre mythology, while Corbucci works more with genre stereotypes and caricatures, but what he does with this material makes it for me the more daring work of the two.

But to give you all here some stuff for heavy discussions, I think that it is McCabe and Mrs.Miller which is an anti-western (one of a few), and TGS is not one (despite the ending), and it is McCabe and Mrs.Miller who features a kind of an anti-hero, while the protagonist of TGS is a more a typical hero, a tragic one of course, one who fails, but still in his failing he remains the hero of the story.

On the character of Silence I don’t agree he is a typical hero or anti hero. I think he is a horrible man. Loco and the bounty hunters are sadistic murderers they take pleasure in the slaughter. But Silence punishes leaving men maimed and goads men into gunfights they will lose. He does this in a colder fashion with no discernable emotion. his humanity and heroism come to late when he tries to defend the town and is killed.

When he dies I am not sure if I have absolved him of his past actions and see him as a tragic hero. That is part of the power of the film and character for me.

Excellent film, beautiful black-and-white photography. DeToth’s The Bounty Hunter is not bad either.

It even has its own thread.

The Last Killer - 6.5/10

Entertaining stuff from Vari, much thanks to a strong performance Ghidra and one convincing enough from Eastman. The story reminds me a lot of Day of Anger and Ghidra suits his part as an retiring gunfighter very well. Eastman as a Mexican is not ideal but it works. Very good ending!

1 Like

Thanks Stanton!

Just watched Go for Broke for the first time on YouTube and was surprised to find a new above average SW. Good cast with John Ireland, Fernando Sancho, Eduardo Fajardo, Jose Torres, Mark Damon etc.
Nice rotoscope opening credits and locations around Colmenar Viejo.

3 Likes

I will have to check it out, sounds good!

I watched VENGEANCE with Richard Harrison one of my favourite Spags. No nonsense straight up revenge western. It surprised me as the plot was a little deeper than I remembered. The twist actually came as a revelation, like I had never watched it before.

1 Like

I watched The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid. Definitely one of the best films I’ve watched about the James-Younger gang. The mixture of comedy and violence might not be to everyone’s taste but it worked for me.

2 Likes

A good film, indeed; and, with a cast consisting of Cliff Robertson, Robert Duvall, Luke Askew, and R.G. Armstrong, who could ask for more.

I must admit, ‘The Long Riders’ does it for me…a fantastic score by Ry Cooder.

Gonna have to watch this one again. Definitely liked it the last few times I’ve watched it.
I might prefer Northfield just a bit though. Robertson and Duvall were excellent.

1 Like

The Long Riders is one of my favourite westerns. The best Jesse James movie in my opinion.

1 Like

Great to have all the brothers together. As i said an amazing soundtrack by Ry Cooder.

Fantastic trailer, for a fantastic film…

1 Like
1 Like

For anybody who is interested, you can also watch the full film here:

1 Like

Love his music but my favourite soundtrack from him is Southern Comfort.

1 Like

Thank you.
A joy to see, after so many years…