The Last TV Series You Watched

Ha, EVERYTHING is totally contrary to Twin Peaks. Except for maybe the movies of David Lynch. :slight_smile:

Done with Bloodline and done with American Odyssee. Still stuck in latest seasons of Fargo and House of Cards. Will have a peek into Berlin Station, and then I also need to get back into The Affair, where Iā€™m somewhere close to the end of season one :slight_smile: All these TV showsā€¦ they keep you from watching movies. Damn them.

itā€™s a all new world, the online streaming tv to smartphone series

" AMERICAN GODS"

I was curious about this series, so last night i watched two episodes.

Well, from what i saw so far, itā€™s not bad, but thereā€™s a lot of weird shit going on and somewhat confusing but itā€™s well shot with strange images with blood, violence and sex . Six more episodes to goā€¦soon.

Blue Lightā€¦ Lavish production. Probably too lavish for the budget. Tense, realistic, but out-of-sync with historical events, Robert Goulet is Hitlerā€™s top Gestapo-troubleshooter, masquerading as a playboy-journalist. But heā€™s really an American intelligence-agent; the last living member of the Blue Light 18 unitā€¦

Running at 26-minutes, the ā€˜movie-likeā€™ plots and top Euro acting-talent couldnā€™t sustain American viewers, who didnā€™t seem to welcome tuning-in to the Gestapoā€™s inner-circle every week. Even though the side-plots featured a secret British assassination-teamā€™s attempts to kill Goulet. The series has aged beautifully though. Easily watchable today. Filmed in Munich and Bavariaā€¦ from 1966. 8-out-of-10. .

I want to give this a look myself. Not sure what to make of it just yet. Feels to me as though it premiered to huge fanfare which petered out as the show went on. On the other hand, it appears to have been very well reviewed.

Weā€™ve got most of the long second season of old Twin Peaks to do before we run straight into the new Twin Peaks, then weā€™re probably going to do season two of Preacher. After that, I reckon weā€™ll give American Gods a try. Iā€™ll be interested to hear your further thoughts on it as you go through the season, LG.

Had enough of ā€œAmerican Godsā€ , after watching the third episode iā€™ve decided that itā€™s not for me. The pacing and the weirdness got even more awkward, especially with one scene where a Muslim gay salesman gets banged by a cab driver who happens to be a gay genie. F this!

ƘYEVITNE

Ƙyevitne (meaning: Eyewitness) is a Norwegian thriller-drama in 6 parts about two small-town teenage boys who witness a massacre. A man was brought to the woods by a group of bikers, apparently to be executed, but he managed to disarm one of them and instead of being executed, he executed his executioners. The investigation is carried out by the foster mom of one of the two boys, but the boys are lovers in a community where homosexuality is not really accepted: they want to keep their relationship a secret and therefore decide not to tell anything to anybody ā€¦

This is one of the better Nordic thrillers Iā€™ve seen in the recent past, but I do have some reservations. We get to see the face of the killer in the opening minutes, but only find out much later who he is and what the reasons for his planned execution were. Itā€™s only after this revelation that the story really takes off. The first two or three episodes are rather convoluted, with too many characters and subplots. Once the cards are on the table the series had me hooked, but the finale is again a bit of a letdown. We seem to heading for a smashing climax, but all of a sudden itā€™s all over. In other words: Ƙyevitne is good Ć nd bad. A mixed bag.

Note: Ƙyevitne was remade for US Network as Eyewitness; both the original Norwegian series and the remake are available on DVD. Ƙyevitne is also available on You Tube (original version, English subtitles)

Sounds terrific! :grinning:

Midway through season two of ā€œoldā€ Twin Peaks and itā€™s becoming tougher going. Will I ever watch this old season right through ever again? Maybe, but I doubt it.

Also midway through the new season of Game of Thrones, and itā€™s going through the gears now. Sad to think that there are only nine episodes of this show remaining. Some John Ford-esque scenes this week, which was a new aesthetic for the show.

https://s27.postimg.org/5m3nhgaoz/rsz_game-of-thrones-episode-4-leak.jpg

Yeah, the dynamics of High Chaparral make it one of the best, by far. Two cattle-families on either side of the border, united by a strong marriage thatā€™s continually tested by cultural overlaps, Apaches, bandoleros, and outlaws. Authentic desert-Southwest locations with minimal studio-usage.

And the cast is terrific.

1 Like

Just watched the season finale of Game of Thrones and it was undoubtedly one of the best episodes of the entire series. Canā€™t wait for the final season.

https://s26.postimg.org/j9c1pidd5/rsz_maxresdefault.jpg

Havenā€™t watched the last episode yet, but season 7 has been a disaster. It is very clear that they do not have George R. R. Martinā€™s books to rely on anymore. Generic American tv-action. Bad bad dialogue and just plain bad. Game of Thrones used to be a strategic game of thrones where each move took its time. Itā€™s pure action now and no plotting. Sad. Iā€™m waiting for the next book end just barely enduring the tv series :slight_smile:

1 Like

I certainly agree (and have complained as much on other forums) that, whilst this has been a bombastic and exciting season, the constant teleportation of characters from one end of Westeros to another in the blink of an eye may have sped things up but the epic sense of scale has been lost in the process (as well as several of those teleportations simply not making any logistical sense whatsoever). Arya and The Hound took most of season three to move from the Inn at the Crossroads to The Twins, and the the better part of season four to move from The Twins to The Eyrie. This season however, Jorah Mormont moved from Oldtown - the most south-westerly point on the Westeros map - to Dragonstone, and then straight on to Eastwatch-by-the-Sea, the most north-easterly point on the Westeros map, in two episodes, entirely off-camera, between scenes. In real-world terms, thatā€™s like going roughly from Seville to Zagreb and then on to somewhere halfway up the Russia/Finland border. In years gone by that wouldā€™ve been a couple of seasonā€™s worth of story. The journey with the captured Wight from Eastwatch down to Kingā€™s Landing wouldā€™ve been a season-long haul once upon a time too; instead, it was completed between this episode and last. So I agree itā€™s been a bit of a clusterfck this year. A quite thrilling clusterfck for the most part, but a clusterf*ck nonetheless.

That said, the finale felt a lot more like Game of Thrones as I have come to know and love it. Iā€™ll not go into detail if you havenā€™t seen it yet but most of the episode represented a grand return to character-driven scenes in many key instances, with the actors and their performances returning to center stage.

1 Like

Will certainly look forward to be watching it then :slight_smile:

Yep they have thrown realism out the window, flattened the dialogue and started acting way out of character. That whole ā€˜capture a wightā€™ quest is insane and makes no point whatsoever besides potentially decimating the cast which it didnā€™t anyways (nearly). If season 7 had been the first season of Game of Thrones I would have quit after one er two episodes. Action-driven fantasy adventures are not my thing and was not what GOT was initially and hopefully the next book will not turn into.

I wish they would postpone the next season until GRRM had finished writing the whole deal. Give it another 10 years and he might just be done :slight_smile:

Six: good. Nobel: very good

I donā€™t think heā€™s going to finish it. I donā€™t think his heartā€™s in it anymore. Heā€™s written himself into aā€¦ whatā€™s the opposite of writing oneself into a corner? A sprawl? Yes, heā€™s written himself into a sprawl and he no longer has the inclination to pull it all back in, imho. I think he was always more into the world-building aspect, which he achieved long since. Personally, Iā€™ve read the first two books but Iā€™m reading no more. Iā€™m not investing any further in a series of books I donā€™t believe will ever be completed. If he defies all earthly laws of time and space and actually finishes the saga, Iā€™ll read it all then.

The Capture-a-Wight thing was crackers, yes. Poorly executed too, with Gendry having to run all the way back to Eastwatch to send a raven to fetch a dragon and et cetera et cetera, all before the ranging party of seven plus assorted Star Trek red-shirts either froze to death or were ripped to pieces. Silly.

Finished off ā€œoldā€ Twin Peaks last night by re-watching prequel movie Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (Lynch, 1992), which was considerably better than I remembered it. In fact by the conclusion of the second series Iā€™d started to quite enjoy the show again; I maintain though that itā€™s definitely aged, and not well, but perhaps not quite as badly as Iā€™d feared a couple of weeks ago.

On to the new season, now. Everything Iā€™m hearing suggests to me that itā€™s an outstanding televisual achievement. Iā€™m excited to find out.

Anne Francis and John Erickson, the sister & brother in Bad Day At Black Rock, are a detective-team in Honey Westā€¦ produced by Aaron Spelling, about 7-years before his Charlieā€™s Angels series. And the amazing Francis is all-3-angels-in-1, basically.

Yet still a logically realistic character. She inherited her fatherā€™s detective-agency, which includes Erickson. They have good chemistry without contrived side-plots to show they have good chemistry. That said, the plots get weaker-and-weaker as the series rolls along. 26-minutes per episode killed the creativity.

ā€œHeh, I forgot to mention earlier that I finally watched all the episodes of Netflixā€™s Godless Western Series.ā€

For me this was a great mini-series. Itā€™s well done with good acting throughout and great cinematography to boot. Jeff Daniels villain character is really remarkable,ā€¦damn good stuff.

1 Like