The Last Movie You Watched?

The Graduate is different in it’s comedy aspects than Manhattan. Actually I think it is indeed a straight drama, more or less, despite the satirical aspects.

Reminds me that some call Il mercenario a comedy too, while for me it is not for a second a comedy.

The Witch. Overrated, its like a really good family drama. Guess you have to be god-fearing to be scared by it.

Interstellar- cannot believe this is listed at 31 on IMDB. I think Christopher Nolan is probably the most overrated director of all time.

To me it’s simple, I found myself laughing at it several times thus comedy.
The comedy is different in The Graduate and Manhattan but they’re both essentially dramas.

So you think that Interstellar should be rated higher on IMDB?

I don’t think it should be anywhere near the top 250.

last western i saw was " the hatefull eight " on dvd
latest Movie i saw was " bridge of Spies "

This goes for many films inside the top 250,

Actually IMDB is a boring representation of the mainstream taste for English languaged films. It’s a shame that Leone is in the top 10. Something went wrong in the reception of his films.

Otherwise IMDB is usable to get some basic informations about films, but actually I mostly use Wikipedia first if I look for something I can’t find in my books.

1 Like

The IMDb Top 250’s okay. Subjective lists like that will only ever be a compromise of the differing opinions which created the list to begin with. The worst element of that list is how any current movie’s popularity can skew the chart. I just assume that if a movie in the IMDb 250 is less than a decade old, it’s probably sitting in an inflated position (the newer the movie, the more inflated the position). If however a movie has held its position for more than ten years, it’s probably earned that spot. That’s how I tend to treat it anyway (not that it matters one way or the other of course).

For truly mind-bending list-related insanity, the FIFA World rankings can often turn perfectly stable individuals into gibbering brainwronged man-mentals at a single glance.

1 Like

Stop Making Sense

This was amazing. It reinstalled my faith in concert movies (which I never truly had). I can’t remember when was the last time I watched the concert movie that I immediately wanted to watch again after it was over.

Arrebato (1979)
-Very weird spanish film about film makers using drugs and shooting expertimental films, slowly the film itself is killing them… or something like that, I really couldn’t say what it was all about. In a way it reminded me of Cronenberg in it’s weird, outsider anxiety.

Orochi (1925)
-First Japanese silent film I’ve seen and one of the first (I think) samurai films ever done.

Lisa and the Devil - The english dub adds so much pointless dialogue (characters talking offscreen, dead bodies talking)… seeing film with the Italian track improves it so much for me, feels so different, more dreamlike, as it has has about half the amount of dialogue.

Fritz Lang’s Dr. Mabuse (1922)
-Finally saw this classic, it was rather tiring experience though since I watched the restored version which is over 4 and half hours long. Not among the best silent films I’ve seen. Great film anyway, Rudolf Klein-Rogge as Mabuse is something spectacular.

Why is it great when it is tiring?

Some strong scenes in this first Dr Mabuse, but also often pretty dated. Lang’s Spione (1928) is far superior directed, and in most other things also superior (acting, action, eroticism, atmosphere etc).

Both are forerunners of the Bond series, especially Spione has everything which constitutes the Bond film.

Tiring because of the long running time, when the film was first released in two parts it was around 200 minutes in total. So this restoration version was over a hour longer and had scenes that were unnecessary. Metropolis on the other hand was much better when I saw the restored long version compared to cut version. I think I haven’t seen Spione.

WILDE HARTEN (Wild Hearts - 1989, Jindra Markus)

A Dutch movie, called one of the worst in history by some. I was curious and had therefore been looking for it for some time (the DVD was OOP and there wasn’t even a download available), but last week I finally managed to trace a copy.

Well, it’s not the worst Dutch movie I’ve ever seen, but if you can’t find a copy, don’t worry. It’s about a successful singer (Alexandra Van Marken, quite a beauty) who falls for a swindler. He seems to take advantage of her, but when she risks to lose all her money to her treacherous impresario, who’s also the swindler’s brother (yes the script is quite complicated), he gets the chance to prove that he really cares for her.

The film ruined the career of several people involved in it: Markus was never asked to direct a movie again and Van Marken completely vanished off the grid. As said a pity, because she looked good, but admittedly she wasn’t much of an actress

2 out of 5

I watched it now for the first time, only seen the dreadful House of Exorcism version before. I saw it in english but the Italian version sounds preferable. It’s a beautiful film for sure though it doesn’t seem to make any sense.

NORTHMEN - A Viking saga (2015, Claudio Fäh)

A Swiss Viking movie, filmed in South-Africa. Something completely different? Well, not completely: it feels like a rip-off of the successful TV-series Vikings. We get lots of weathered faces, long hair and swordfights (plus a lady with a crossbow), all seasoned with a dash of romance and mysticism. A small group of Vikings, banished from their own country, stranded on the Scottish shores, must defend themselves against ruffians and an army of mercenaries, after kidnapping the daughter of a local monarch. Their situation seems hopeless, but some help is provided by a monk who hates the monarch and preaches christianity with the sword.

If you’re expecting something like Nicholas Winding Refns Valhalla Rising you’ll be dissapointed, but maybe you thought Refns’ überviolent but contemplative study was arty-farty and overly pretentious. In that case you might enjoy Northmen more: it’s plain and simple, a modest movie meant to entertain, an old-fashioned adventure yarn with modern levels of violence (although it’s by no means as violent as Valhalla Rising). The story-telling isn’t bad, but performances are uneven. Former soap opera actor Ryan Kwanten is quite good as the monk but rapper Ed Skrein gives new meaning to the term ham it up as the leader of the mercenaries.

Simple but effective, 6 out of 10

SPACEBALLS (1987, Mel Brooks)

Brooks poking fun at Star Wars (with some winks at Alien and Planet of the Apes as well), with an intergalactic battle for fresh air and a marriagiable princess (who doesn’t want to marry the überdull Prince Valium). Rick Moranis is Dark Helmet - Darth Vader’s smaller brother - and John candy is his own best friend as Barf the Mog, half man, half dog. You also get a Yogurt, a Hut named Pizza, some naughty schwartz rings and a lot more. Not as good as some of Brooks’ earlier classics(Blazing Saddles, young Frankenstein) but still fun if you’re willing to work yourself through a mountain of bad jokes to find a few comical gems. Best joke: Vespa’s headphone:

1 Like

Just watched MARNIE for the 1st time. Good, but not the greatest Hitchcock. It is also my 101st movie this year (no joke)